Cornwall Riser

dbflash

Well HDBR, unfortunately I cannot check to see if you were my builder until they are returned. Assuming you were I give you and your helper an A+. They are still in perfect condition (other than 1 or 2 very minor and unnoticable dings from 20+ years and many homes including 4 different college houses). I ended up throwing away the boxes last year as they were practically dissinegrated. They had never been moved without them until this morning. Last month I finally went digital and bought a home theatre system to build around the cornwalls (widescreen HDTV, rear, center, sub, etc. all taken away to be freed of fire damage). TV/DVDs sound wonderful, however imagine my dissappointment when playing music for the first time through the new receiver. I ended up buying a Niles DPS-1 switch box so I could continue using my old stuff for music. I now have the best of both worlds (except having 20 different pieces of electronics in one room). Thanks again for probably making my cornwalls and I'll let you know for sure when I get them back.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the hint on the 22.5 degree tilt for a Cornwall to be 'time-aligned'. I was going to experiement with this as my rear Cornwalls look as though much of the energy is lost in the back of furniture and I want to get the mid/high waves up to ear level. The tilted riser might just be the thing. I'll draw up a set and do some measurements.

What function exactly does the sand, or shot filling the base do other than to increase the density of the riser and help couple the Cornwall to the floor? What about if I'm on thick carpeting? SHould I use spikes to help couple to the subfloor? Do you believe in the theory of stacking marble slabs on top of subwoofers for the same reason?

Thanks, Michael

Gary,

That was fun reading your virgin post with 5,000 to credit on your name. What a NEWBIE!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I put my Cornwalls on solid cement blocks. They sound alot better than when they were on the carpet. Not only tweeter height, but also a crisper bass.

What I want to try is putting them on spikes... in my quick survey of this thread, i didnt see anyone do that.