Single or Multiple Disc CD Players??????????

easyeyes

What is the norm when it comes to 2-channel listening? Are single-disc players better or is it based on individual preference.? I have a Denon 5 Disc player now that I enjoy and I say this because I have not listened to anything else in my system;I'm sure that there are better units out there. I've grown accustomed to the multi-disc tray and being able to switch between favorite disks without having to change the CD each time. Also, my denon has a built in volume control, it makes the music player louder but I feel that music sounds better with the cd player's volume set to minimum and using the amp to increase the volume. Considering that I'm looking for a new player, should I look for something that does not have this capability?

In the near future I will be able to audition a modded unit with my 299A but it too will be multi disc and the the cd volume function has been taken out of it. I've been following other topics regarding cd players and one constant is the treble gain. Is there any other inherent attributes that I should be aware of when it comes to a new player?

Excuse the rambling

EE

Only advice I can give is to trust your ears. I have a Sony DVD multidisc player that sounds better through my HK AVR 90 than my Dynaco CDV-1 tube CD player (very disappointing, especially after dropping over 3 bills for it). However, hooking the same Dynaco to my 299A is just awe inspiring. I found myself digging up CDs I haven't heard in years. The Dynaco also has a volume knob, I like the feature; makes it more versatile. Allows me to hook it right up to an amp or if you want to use headphones. You might want to look into an SACD multidisc. Sony makes a nice sounding one and it's reasonably priced, I paid $179. I had one for a couple of weeks, but since my receiver doesn't allow for seperate inputs; I took it back and got the DVD player. It still had a very nice sound using the optical out.

As you may or may not know, I am a proponent of computer based solutions for digital playback. There is significant prejudice against this in the forum, but it is just that. All my CD's reside on HDD's, where transports and error correction is no longer an issue. Any decent sound card will equal or better your Denon, and some will compete with standalone players at any price. Further, if you listen to LP's, a 24/96 capable card such as Audigy 2 will allow you to make recordings that don't make you want to run for the disc.

Any old computer of 350mhz or better will do the job nicely for audio, and you don't have to throw any money at it to quieten it or anything unless you are satisfied with the results.

Less you think I am a youngish nerd, I am 53 and favor vaccuum tubes, LP's and 78's, and all Heritage systems. However, new things can be good, and such a system described above was the first affordable method I've found to make CD sound acceptable to my ears, as well as user friendly and flexible.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Dave

Johnny and Dave both make excellent points.

It all boils down to what sounds good to you. If you're happy with your multi-disc player and it sounds good to you...well, there you have it!

Who says you need to follow the leaders? Blow your own horn!4.gif

"better" well I am sure that single CD players are capable of better sound than any of the CD changers out there. I took my two CD changers and connected them to an outboard DAC which improved the sound substantially above the CD player's own DAC. Some say that a transport and DAC can achieve better sound than an all-in-one player. I am sure they are right, the trick is to find your level, and more importantly, to define what is "better" for you. for me it was to avoid handling the CDs and to have from the couch access to my most of my music collection, I tried to max out the sound quality of my changers with the outboard DAC. others could care less about my issues and go another route. your financial situaiton can also have a big inlfuence on your choices. MTC, tony

How are removeable hard-drives stored -- does one just plunk 'em into the box they came in, or are there storage systems designed to keep them dust and dirt-free? Am I right in assuming that computer companies have made provision for user-friendly removal and installation. In other words, Dave, one doesn't have take one's computer apart to exchange HDDs, correct?

Erik

RMD's are easy. See http://www.1010net.com for an overview. I usually go with all metal, since the cost is a one time thing and you might as well have some armor. While most claim "hot plug" capability, I've found shutting down between remove and replace much more in tune with Windows fragility. Either way, R&R of removables is easy. Mine go all over the house. My wife has her own. I've a couple with OS on them for emergency use when a system drive dies or freaks. And, of course, there are those with nothing but music on them. Music drives should last indefinitely, since they are under minimum strain, used less than system or data drives, and accessed in a linear fashion.

RMD's are the only way to go.

Dave