DVD players

easylistener

I need a new dvd player and I have read a lot of reviews in magazines on them. My qustion is, is the picture quility that much better on the more expensive players? Is a xp50 going to be that much worse that a denon 3800? I am not using HD yet but I will, and I have 36" Wega so I can get a good picture with a good source. Just looking for some input before I buy.

To prepare for getting an HD tv in the future you need to get a progressive scan DVD player with 3:2 pull down. You will be able to display 720 lines of resolution on an HD capable tv.

It seems like the more expensive DVD players $300 + seems less pixelated or grainy than the cheaper ones. Now I do not know if price or manufacturer is the key. I am looking at a yamaha DVD player. Yamahas are prioced up to over $1,000. -Too much.

I suggest Panasonic. They make an inexpensive progressive scan DVD player that rates as good as many much more expensive players, and it uses the much acclaimed Sage/Faroudja chip! See:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=4

I think the RP-56 has been replaced with the RP-62 model (but uses the same chips).