"HUGE " Mistake !! " MASSIVE " Change !!!

Dale W

Oh I have done it and didn't like the results at all. Do you want to turn your pride and joy into a 6 watts fire breathing beast ?? This mod runs to hot and stress the transformer way to much and I thought it didn't sound a bit better than the first 8 to 10 watts in the original config a big waste of time. I think that strapping in triode nets better results and obviously many others thought so to at the Chicago horn club meeting. Same reason I didn't do it to Dales Mark III's besides unless your pushing your AB amp hard its already in class A with effiecent speakers for the most part you just never use much over 10 watts. Scotts stay into class A till about 8 to 10 watts.

Craig

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik,

Have you ever looked at Plitron transformers. Toroidial for SET and PP, etc. They have a couple stock ones wth close to the impedance for the primary that you mentioned. One is around 1885 ohms (model PAT 4006), another 1239 (PAT 4008). Lots of cool stuff.

http://www.plitron.com

You'll have to dig a bit, there is no direct link to the page with tube transformers on it.

Cheers,

Marvel

Hmmm. Well, my 60 watter has about 5 to 7 watts of Class A, my guess would be the the Scott has about 1/2 watt.9.gif

Got your offer Marvel -- we could try the camera bit since I have one. Heck, I might just post them in a new thread and let you guys go at it.

Anyway of reverse engineering? If you know the circuit and the values -- can one surmise the transformer specs?

I think i'm going to stop reading all these tube amp books and arcticles. They confict so much i never know whats true or not.

I learn so much more reading threads here than most books.

You guy's are truely a wealth of knowledge.

I have looked at those transformers, but not in a little while...thanks for the reminder! It's the expense of those (and trannies in general) that is preventing some of the experiments and building interests I have. I need to get a new front end (digital), since my CD player is ailing more by the week.

I totally agree with what you guys have said about the most appropriate place for low-powered SE amps. I have been using 2A3s for single driver horns (Lowther PM2As in rear-loaded horn cabs)for several years, and the La Scalas are a new acquisition. That greater/larger/stronger power works well on big, low-end drivers makes perfect sense, and this is what I am working towards. I must admit, however, that I am constantly amazed at what my low-wattage amplifiers are able to accomplish; or another way to say this, is that it's incredible what high efficiency (100+ dbs/watt/meter/couple-a-volts)speakers can do with such a small diet. The bass response from the La Scalas is more than I've had in years, and I have no wish or desire to compliment this with a subwoofer.

...and the clock is ticking away on this Saturday! Gotta go finish the last of the star grounding on the AE-1. I may be able to keep this gem of a preamp, afterall, and I have listened to all of you that have suggested I do so. A little bit of income tax money coming back this year might allow that to happen, as well as some extraordinary generosity of another forum member!

Erik