Giving credit where due

T2K

Finally took a day off and am using the time to play with my Scott 222-C that Craig massaged months ago.

I don't have a spare pair of KHorns for the try out so I'm using a pair of Klipsch KG2.5's and a Klipsch SW8II sub. They were made for each other, it seems.

Having played a variety of CD's only, I can say that the sound is unbelievable to me. Don't know about 'break in', but after about 2 hours I think (OK, I did) notice an improvement in sound. The small bookshelf speakers provide great hi's with nice clarity and the sub, properly adjusted, fills in the lows with unbelievable musical authority for its size. I honestly don't know why anyone would need to spend more money for a good 2 channel setup.

I'm about to try a quad of Tesla ECC83's and a quad of late 60's RCA EL84. Also a Mullard 5AR4, just for the fun of it.

Conclusion: Really, really hard to beat for the small investment.

Next, vinyl.

Thanks Craig.

Keith

Keith and Dale,

Thanks very much but really you guy's are paying for a service and I'm just glad you trust me to do it !! So really no thanks are required. This forum is what got me into this and I recieved help from so many people I can not even remember them all to list. But Mark Deneen and Kelly would be at the top of my list also Alan Songer for the spot on recomendation to buy my first Scott amp.

Keith I sure am glad your finally getting a chance to play with the amp. When you slap those 6BQ5's in there you will love the sound but make sure you bias them pronto and don't exceed .22 with them they are not designed for the 400+ plate voltage of that amp but will work fine. Enjoy the tube rolling.

Oh and telsa 12AX7 sound very similar to a Telefunken !!

Craig

>"I'm not sure what kind of witchcraft or vodoo that craig preforms but he seems to put a good curse on the amps"<

Wonder what that stuff is he's smokin'?9.gif

After burnin' the new old tubes for a coupla more hours, the thing still sounds good. The new tubes seemed to hold the .23 bias well, after a few hours. Next time I get the chance I'll compare the virgin 222-C sound to the 'witchcraft' one.

Thanks for your help too mdeneen!

Keith

Hell, IF it wasnt for Craig I wouldnt own a tube amp, who would I get to work on it, where, are who would I turn too, every hifi place would laugh at me if it needed servicing. This guy is 100 percent dedicated to hifi.He will also talk your head off on the phone and educate the hell out of you. LOL.AND Get back too work soldering CRAIG, we all need you, dont get burned out.

Oh I won't get burned out its my normal job I get tired of !! Currently listening to a HF-81 I just finished this was a factory wired model and sound pretty darn good. What other kind of work can you get to lisen to everyone else gear !!

Craig

After going through enough amps over the last year to play a good game of Jengo, I'm telling you, there's magic in the hot glass -- and most of the differences in sound amount to nothing more than a bunch of hair splitting and comparing shades of gray. They ALL sound good.

Mark,

Hanging up the iron? I'll believe that when you send Craig those Dynacos you have buried. Hell, you're his mentor. Why not get yourself a nice set of RB-5's and run them with a NOSvalves Scott -- and pass those old six-shooters to Tonto.