How to Hook up 2 Monitors to my computer?

Juba310

I think I've seen people do this before, and I'm pretty sure its possible with the newer video cards...but how do you go about hooking 2 monitors to your computer. Like, for instance i can be playing CS or some other game on one screen...and talking on aim/ doing other things on the other monitor. I have a geforce4 ti4600 video card; a p4 2.26 ghz, and run win XP so im pretty sure i can do it. Any of you guys know how?

"pretty sure its possible with the newer video cards..."

Exactly right. You have to have a video card that supports this option,(assuming you have a new enough machine to support the card), and it will have your connections etc.

Check out newegg.com or maybe do a Google search to find suitable cards.

While I have not done this my co-workers have and it's all about the card...

Most of the mid to higher end Nvidia and ATi card come tih a port for regular vga (trapaziodal blue connector) and a DVi (white connector with thin slots) or 2 vga connecotrs

they make a dvi to vga adapter.

I haven't run dual monitors on my nvidia in a while but usually you have to download the software from the companies site.

Scott

Also, you can use a second video card, and let Windows handle the multiple displays.

I'm using a Visiontek Xstasy Everything card and it supports two monitors nicely (has 2 VGA connectors on it). I can watch TV on one monitor and try to actually do something productive on the other :)

DD

You can use a dual output video card as mentioned.

Or you can use two seperate video cards, one agp and one pci card works fine.

If you go with two seperate cards you may have a little bit of trouble getting the colors to match on each of the monitors.

As for running CS on one monitor and having your desktop up on the other might give you some trouble.

I've noticed most systems will take a bit of a performance hit when trying to run an OpenGl window fullscreen while runnning the desktop on the other half of the visible area if you are using a dual head card.

With the earlier versions of the drivers for my radeon 8500 trying to run a game on one screen and the desktop on the other was a sure way to kill my fps and often resulted in the BSOD.

Peace, Josh