Rega Planet/M-Audio/Card Deluxe

Mallette

I've dropped the "vs." because we are not in a competition. The question is "Can a sound card in a computer at least equal a high quality stand alone deck." If the answer is "yes," I wouldn't expect audiophiles to abandon their top of the line CD players in droves...but it would definitely mean lots might add this extraordinary flexibility to their arsenal. Those, like me, who were unable to afford the price of entry in the past to high quality CD playback will now have the bar dropped to the price of a sound card and any old leftover computer around, with the path of upgrade at whatever pace one might wish.

Aside from all the other benefits, it's great to be able to pick up an entire music collection and take it to someone's house and be up and listening in a matter of minutes.

Spike has been in touch and we are trying to schedule a listen ASAP. Ken Johnson indicated he might try to get the M-audio this week. If so, we be able to ABC all of them.

Tape at 11...

Dave

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allrighty, then, let the games begin. Ken Johnson found an M-audio at CompUSA for 99.00 and is picking it up before the weekend.

In response to some offline comments about such ABC comparisons and their validity, let me say that I agree that long term living with a component is the only way to judge it's ultimate qualities. However, anybody with a decent ear can determine if something sucks or not pretty dern quick. The idea here is NOT a shootout. We are simply out to determine if an audiophile can find happiness with a sound card and PC, and if that happiness may even be cheaper than a dedicated alternative.

Also, as I've stated previously, I am going to refrain from comment until others have been heard from. Most who've read my stuff know I am completely satisfied with the sonics of the MBS-3 and am not even looking for improvement. I hear nothing that cannot be accounted for by the limitations of the medium. End of story.

That's all. Frankly, I am hoping the M-audio sounds as good as or better than the Card Deluxe. I need more machines for various purposes, and cost IS an object.

Dave

Well, Ken just left after bringing his PC over with the M-audio installed. We installed and configured Exact Audio Copy. Couldn't get him recognized on my network, though internet access was fine. I hate Microsoft and we didn't have time to play Gates games, but I hope to figure it out before the testing as it will make things easier.

We did a quick and dirty listen, but I'm going to leave any report on that to him for reasons stated earlier and because it wasn't much of a test.

Now, to get scheduled for the Real Thing. Hopefully Friday...

Dave

My ears are telling me I just returned from a rock concert...90-96db of Midnight Oil "Beds are Burning" is too much for me...especially the high-end crashes.

We spent must of the time getting everything setup so listening tests are too early. But a quick a/b of high volume "Beds..." on the KHorns seemed to indicate the Card Deluxe has a more pleasant high-end which realy open the question about the REGA...and the Rega has been selected because I'm hoping it will be even more pleasant on the highs.

I'll do some tests vs my DVD w/digital connection to Outlaw tonight. I'll then add a better cable that I have for connection between the PC and the Outlaw.

The HP Vectra VL PII/400 was notably quieter.

True...we only listened to one song. Let's wait until the weekend when we can focus on A/B. Today was setup day.

In the mean time here is a high-end card shoot-out. There is one card referenced that lists for $395 in the US...seems to be highly recommended...but the $99 card and my existing PC is the price range I want to start with.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236215

I use an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 in one of my computers at home (used for video editing and audio production. It uses the same DAC?ADC as their other 4 and 8 channel cards. The quality is outstanding. I know many professional musicians/studios use the same cards. The cost is about $150 ($229 list), and it has spdif i/o as well as analog i/o. It will allow DTS and AC3 through the spdif out for external decoding.

If the Revolution is the card you got, it provides 7.1 etc and decoding. It should do nicely. I hate those mini plugs. At least the one I have uses rca jacks. They are a little more solid. You may need to download the newest drivers, even though the card is new they probably already have newer.

The Card Deluxe is another great card, but was too expensive when I got mine.

Marvel

Many thanks for the info. I wonder how the card you have would compare to the Card Deluxe? I use mine for location recording, and would like to have another so I can have up to 4 tracks at 24/88.2. As you mentioned, the CDeluxe is a bit pricey, though the quality is worth it.

At the moment, I can only do 4 tracks at 16/44.1 as I can use my Sony RM500 DAT deck, put two channels into it and loop it to the digital input of the CDeluxe. With the two analog channels of the CDeluxe, that give me 4.

But I'd sure like to be able to go all 24/88.2 and quit toting the DAT...

Dave

This has 6x6, 24/96, uses the same driver as Audiophile 2496. Has 4 analog, plus spdif: $299

http://www.zzounds.com/item--THKMIMD662

The 1010LT (same driver) does 8 analog i/o, spdif, midi, 2 mic inputs(XLR). Uses a fan out cable instead of a breakout box:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOD1010LT

But the cost is getting up there (around $600 or so I think)

Marvel

I've just been over at soundstage looking at the 99.00 m-audio revolution. Up to 7.1 dts/dd output, 24/96, surround encode from stereo. All the reviews and user comments appear excellent. Looks like the thing to replace the ol Pinnacle in the Living Room HTPC. Need 24/96 up there anyway...

Dave

Duh, I was asleep at the wheel. I knew they were way cheaper than the regular 1010, as it puts everything in a breakout box. People either love the M-Audio gear or hate it. It has worked excellent on my Dual Athlon 1.4Ghz box.

Samplitude is next!

Marvel

http://www.esi-pro.com/

WaMi Rack 192L Technical specifications

High quality 24bit 96kHz AD converter; 100dB Dynamic range

High quality 24bit 192kHz DA converter; 104dB Dynamic range

4 Channel Analog Inputs:

4 Unbalanced +4dBu Line inputs (1/4" TRS Phone)

4 Balanced adjustable Line/Mic inputs (XLR Connector)

8 Channel Analog Outputs:

8 Unbalanced +4dBu Line Outputs (1/4" TRS Phone)

2 Balanced +4dBu Line Outputs (XLR Connector)

4 channel MIC Preamp with +48v Phantom power

1 Headphone Preamp

S/PDIF Coaxial Digital In/Out : up to 24 bit 192kz resolution

Supports multiple Sampling Rates: 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192kHz

Full Duplex - Simultaneous Record/Playback

Uses 32bit PCI slot: PCI Bus-Mastering support

1 In / 1 Out, 16 channel MIDI Interface

Supports the EWDM driver:

Multile MME, Multiple Direct sound, ASIO 2.0 and GigaStudio support

wr192-1.gif

I'm blown away. 379.00 for 24/196 record with mic preamps. I've got to get some user opinions on this, as it just may be the location recording solution I've been looking for.

Thanks, Marvel...your comments got me to doing a bit of searching.

Dave

The DVD-A 5.1 24/96 surround format is already supported by the 99.00 M-Audio Revolution card, though not DVD-A 2 channel 24/192. SACD is another story and (at least to many of us) made irrelvant by the 24/96 and up to 24/192 available on some of them like the WamiRack 192L I mentioned above. I've seen no cards or, in fact, any devices that support SACD encode. Must be all in the profe$$ional category still. Of course, 24/96 was unaffordable until the last couple of years, and 24/196 completely out of reach. Perhaps SACD will be next.

Jeez, I just put my Sony RM500 DAT deck on Ebay in order to try to raise money for the 192L. It has a 380.00 reserve, so it may not go...and I won't be terribly disappointed if it doesn't. Crikey, must be something around here I can sell... :-)

Dave

The DVD-A 5.1 24/96 surround format is already supported by the 99.00 M-Audio Revolution card, though not DVD-A 2 channel 24/192. SACD is another story and (at least to many of us) made irrelvant by the 24/96 and up to 24/192 available on some of them like the WamiRack 192L I mentioned above. I've seen no cards or, in fact, any devices that support SACD encode. Must be all in the profe$$ional category still. Of course, 24/96 was unaffordable until the last couple of years, and 24/196 completely out of reach. Perhaps SACD will be next.

Jeez, I just put my Sony RM500 DAT deck on Ebay in order to try to raise money for the 192L. It has a 380.00 reserve, so it may not go...and I won't be terribly disappointed if it doesn't. Crikey, must be something around here I can sell... :-)

Dave