Cornwalls, stop here, or get Khorns?

Jim Cornell

I need to know how much difference there is between the cornwalls, and the other 3 heritage series!! Get khorns or save the money!!

I own 2 pair of cornwalls now, got them at a good cost!!

I could buy khorns, save a little space, or stay where im at!!

Any suggestions id like to hear!!

I will still keep my cornwalls!! Put them in the back room!!

How do they compare to the la scalas, belles, khorn?

I think im closer to the khorn, and a bit above the other 2 on sound!!

Just up for sugestions, and info!!

Regards Jim

Hi Jim,

You'll have to let your own ears decide. I think the K-horns are the best sounding Klipsch speakers I have heard - when properly set up (very important).

However, I have no place for K-horns in my listening room, so I got the Cornwalls, which in my humble opinion are a beautiful compromise to the mighty Klipschorns.

I had the choice of La Scalas or the Cornwalls, where price was absolutely not an issue, and I chose the Cornwalls because I think they sound better - much more balanced and no need for a sub. (By the way, I have hundreds of hours listening experience with the La Scalas in several different listening rooms with good amplification.)

I have never regretted my decision to buy the Cornwalls, and if I did, I'd simply go get a pair of the La Scalas or Belles, I've had a number of opportunities to do so.

Once again, let your own ears decide - not our own biased opinions which can only serve as a guide as to what OUR ears tell us.

Klipschguy

The Belle Klipsch, i have never heard, and it seems that i would almost have to buy a pair just to hear them!!

But from what i understand, is the cornwall has more low end output than the belle, and the la scalas!!

Man you should hear 4 cornwalls!!

I have 2 grand, into 2 pair, i think it was cheaper, than a pair of used khorns!

The cornwalls have the same drivers, as all the heritage, except the heresy.

Regards Jim

Jim,

Both the Cornwall and the Klipschorn are great, classic speakers. I owned cornwalls for about eight years. I sold them in '93(dumb, dumb, dumb) and after a five year sojourn in the wilderness of low efficiency and high distortion, am now happily back in the klipsch fold with a pair of klipschorns.

Which is best? In the right room, k-horns without a doubt. At least to my ears. But, that little bit about the "right room" is very, very important! Klipschorns in a room that is too small, or that does not allow the listener to be seated at the proper distance from the speakers, are sure to disappoint. To get to the point, if you've got a good room for them, I don't think you'd ever regret getting k-horns. If you don't, you might be better off staying with the cornwalls, which allow much more flexibility in placement options.

If all of lifes "problems" were this much fun... smile.gif

------------------

JDMcCall

My music room is 16 by 16 foot!! And i have 2 pair of cornwalls in it!! I mostly only listen to 1 pair, i use the other when i want to get a little loud!!

I think the khorns would be to loud all the time, with this size of room, so i might be, better off with the cornwalls!

Thats one thing i havent really thought of!

I get greedy, id really like to own all of the heritage!!

Besides, i think if i did get khorns, the wife would make me sell them!!

She likes the cornwalls enough, to let me get 2 pair!!

I think i will stay where im at!!

Regards Jim

I forgot to ask another opinoin, i thought i should while im at it!

Both my cornwalls are the same year 1980, at least thats what it says on the back!

One pair has the type A crossover, the other is type B3!!

They are both the originals, with the 3 vent slots on the bottom!

Anyone have any idea, as to having 2 different crossovers??

Regards Jim

KLIPSCHGUY, thank you for the reply, i think a center cornwall against a pair of belles is no competion, to begin with!!

The belles do look nice, and i think there the rarest, in the heritage right now!

rare enough, that ive never heard them!

I think im ganna stay where im at, im set up pretty well here!

And im getting away with it, with the wife. id better not push it!!

I listen to 1 pair most the time, and if i want to get a little out of hand, ill kick on the other amp!!

And run 2 pair!

Glad to hear that you, and your brother both own a set of cornwalls!

Maybe you would have an idea, as to why my 2 pair, have 2 different crossovers networks?

Im set up on a pioneer SX 950, for 1 pair, and a mcintosh 2120 for the other!

On the inside of the reciever i crossed the main in pre outs, with a soldered heavy wire, that gives me the pre out, at the same time, im running the pioneer!!

I thought it would burn up the pioneer, if it did, i would of just got another mcintosh amp!

This runs really efficient like this, just warm!

My C26 mcintosh pre amp sucks!!

The mcintosh amp, and C26 on both pair isnt enough!!

Regards Jim

Jim,

I tell ya, the Cornwall is a fine speaker that needs no excuses - very well designed and perfect for home audio. Just look at all the posts here. EVERYBODY who has Cornwalls really loves them. Go to Audioreview.com and see how many complaints you see from that tough bunch.

Another thing I like about the Cornwalls is you can use one of those snotty, upscale preamps (be it tube, or solid state) that basically just have a volume control and a source selector switch and the Cornwalls will sound great with excellent balance and great bass. No sub needed. I personally listen to my music in the "bypass" mode without a sub, so the Belles are not for me - not enough bass.

If you hook up a pair of La Scalas or Belles without a sub and no bass equilization, man the bass just won't be there and in this particular situation, the Cornwalls will walk all over the La Scalas and the Belles (which basically sound the same by design).

Do not get me wrong, I love the Belles and the La Scalas, and set up properly they are quite capable, but the small, folded bass horn is quite compromised when compared to the folded horn used in the Klipschorns. In defense of the Belles though, they really have kick butt midrange and upper bass - that's why if your willing to use a very good sub with these, you can get very impressive results that will exceed the performance of the Cornwalls - read: walk all over.

One other thing, all of the Heritage Klipsch have an unmistakable "Klipsch sound" that is quite musical - just each model has its own personality.

Let your own ears be the judge.

By the way, my brother bought his Cornwalls after spending time listening to mine - he loves his too.

Klipschguy

P.S. Why does your MacIntosh pre-amp suck?

I have a pair of Belles and a pair of Cornwalls in my basement. The room is ~18'x24' or so. I have not hooked all 4 speakers up together (maybe I should try it). I have listened to the Cornwalls for quite awhile, then I bought the Belles. Right now I prefer the Belles (with a LF-10 sub) to the Cornwalls, but I have changed amplifiers since I listened to the Cornwalls. Confused yet?? I am going to try the Cornwalls with my new amp, but I cannot imagine it getting any better than it is right now! (EXCEPT I have a pair of Al's networks coming to throw in the Belles)! I may have to order a pair of crossovers for the Cornwalls to make a decent comparison... wink.gif

Klipschguy, i didnt mean to sound blunt!

I love my cornwalls definetely, and there not going anywhere!

My C26 pre amp, is about out of service, its from 1969! There is an awful smell of wires on the inside, someday ill send it to mcintosh!!

I have heard that the cornwalls out do the la scalas, and belle, on bass, i just wanted to issue this piont, thank you.

I will not spend anymore money, on anything else!

The post below yours, this guy is ganna hook up a pair of cornwalls, with belles.

Wish i could be there, id like to hear that!

Regards Jim

Hello Jim,

I'll have to try the rewire. I think I remember an old ad stating that the K-horns were wired with heavy guage wire, ...tough to recall though.

Anyway, I didn't think you were blunt at all. Definitely a good dialog. I'm just having a good time expressing my biased opinions (although I am really trying to give an honest assessment) to people out there who actually care about good old Klipsch speakers.

I try it on my wife sometimes, but she just humours me - poor girl. It goes something like - "good grief, did you hear the dynamic range in that song!?" ... (the reply) "turn it down."

Anyway about the Mac, I just was wondering if it intrinsically stunk (which would be hard to believe), or was there something wrong with it.

Belles sure are expensive. I wonder how hard they would be to build? Any plans circulating out there?

If I had no room for K-horns (which I don't) and I wanted a no compromise system, I would probably get the Belles with a sub. But a man has to have something to dream about (uh,...besides that). As I stated in my first post "the Cornwalls are a beautiful compromise to the mighty Klipschorns."

Klipschguy

Klipschguy, i did notice quiet a difference with the heavier wire!

The mcintosh needs service, someday!

The cornwall is imortal, have you seen the ad on them at belgaudio.com?

If not, you have to see that one, its the test report on the cornwall, they did it on the cornwall 2, i think the cornwall 1, is more heritage, 2s have plastic tweets, and a real cheap looking crossover, with no dampening in the box!!

Heresy 2s arent even real heritage, and by the way its looking, nothing built will be real heritage!

I guess EVs done making components!

Well, if Klipsch discontinues the heritage all together, they discontinue there originality along with it!

Hang on to your cornwalls, i know i am!

It took me 8 months, to get the wife used to the horns on my cornwalls, now i can get pretty loud with both pair!!

My cornwalls have 2 different cross overs in them, one pair is type A, the other is type B3!!

I was told the type A is out of an old set of Khorns, and told to replace them!

There isnt enough of a difference to worry about it, to me!

Regards Jim

As has already been described, the Cornwalls will go deeper in the bass area. The La Scalas/Belles will not have as deep in the bass regions, but because they horn-loaded, the bass will be tighter and more dynamic.

It has been a long, long time since I have had the chance to compare La Scalas to Cornwalls side-by-side. When I was able to compare them, I preferred the more dynamic sound of the La Scalas (with no subs). That is what appealed to my ears. Of course that was then, and my taste may have changed where today I might prefer the Cornwalls.

Both speakers are excellent. I think that comparing the two will depend on your personal taste. Some people prefer the Cornwalls, and some people prefer La Scalas/Belles. A lot of people have complained of the aesthetics of La Scalas. I am probably in the minority, but I have always thought they looked very, very cool. They are unique in their looks (at least compared to other "home" audio speakers). I think they look wonderful if they are finished and even nicer if they have the front grill. I have owned Cornwalls and was extremely happy with them.

I would suggest that if you're interested, let your own ears decide which ones you like better. It may not be easy, but see what you can do to listen to some Belles/La Scalas.

Someday ill pick up a horn loaded pair, chances are they wont be produced anymore!

Not like the old days!

My wife doesnt want Khorns in the house, so maybe belles, or a pair of la scalas?

But for now, im doing just fine with 2 pair of cornwalls.

Ill always keep them!

Even though, i might have better low end, i still like the la scalas and belles!

4 cornwalls together is pretty outregeous,

dont really ever need anything else!

I have a pair of the K77Ms lying around here, was ganna get the diaphrams, now im wondering if ill be able to?

I also have an original K33E woofer here for spare!

I like all Klipsch, if you own Klipsch you own the best....

Regards Jim

A freind of mine just brought over a set of B3 cross overs, so now there all original, all 4!! I dont know why one set had the old Khorn type A, maybe they thought they would sound better, who knows!!

I owe him nothing, thats the best part, its because i gave him my KG4s, when i got the first cornwalls!!

Ive owned 4 Kg5.5s, Kg4s, Kg3s, and 4 cornwalls!

All i have now are the cornwalls, One single cornwall, totally over rid a pair of Kg4s, and Kg5.5s together!

Regards Jim

I had an entire H/T system, i only used it one or twice a year!

It consisted of, KG 5.5s front, KSB-S1 rear,

KCS-C1 center, SW10 sub!

Wife got pregnant, and sold it all for $900.00!

The 4 cornwalls, just on a 2 channel system is really all i need!

More intense than the H/T system was!

Regards Jim