Is tube rectification better than SS rectification?

trvale

I know this has probably been gone over many times, but couldn't find anything with the horrible search feature of this BB. I am in the middle of building the 12au7 preamp from "Beginners guide to tube audio". The schematic in the book calls for SS rectification, so that is what I have done. I have heard people talking about tube rectification, but don't know if it is much different than SS. Are there any cons for using SS rectification? It seems to be much easier to implement. Also one less tube to worry about. Thanks.

This is a great question!

I think SS rectifiers are lots easier to implement than tube, but I have in fact built a tube rectified design for a preamp that uses the same tube. What's normally done in this case, would be a full wave tube rectifier for B+, and SS diodes in a full-wave bridge for the filament supply.

Both work, and it's just a matter of personal choice. You need to be aware of the specs of your tube, and what the transformer you are using can handle without getting overheated. How about building the preamp with SS first, and then maybe one day trying a tube circuit for the rectifier? That way you can tell which you prefer?

Erik

I agree with the comments from Erik and Craig. I've had both type of pre-amps (neither were inexpensive), but I prefer the sound that tube rectification provides. My best description would be there is more "soul" to the music.

It is hard to imagine that there is any difference at all *providing* the power supply caps properly filter the resulting DC. It the caps are not big enough and/or let some ripple through there will be an impact on the sound.

OYOH, it is my understanding that tube rectifiers begin to work gradually and provide sort of a soft start for the output tubes. That has to be considered good.

Good post Ryan.

Isn't it also true however that NOS rectifying tubes like the Mullards, can take more much than the standard fare like the Sovteks?

Also, I think SS rectification works better in amps, because the diodes don't get the bends when called upon to deliver substantial current.

Craig:

My avatar is the insignia for the 82nd Airborne Division, the unit I served with while I was in the Army. The AA means All American. The 82nd division began in WWI and had member from all the states, hence the "All American" name.

Sgt York of WWI fame was with the 82nd Infantry. The Airborne tab on top of the AA patch was added during WWII. The 82nd jumped into Normandy (St Mere Eglise- The Longest Day), Sicily, Salerno, and Nijmegen (A Bridge Too Far). My company also went to Grenada. They've seen action in GWI, Panama, and are fighting in Iraq now.

I think it depends on musical tastes and circuit topologies.

You have one camp that has heavier tastes in music, they tend to prefer PP tube amps for the extra power, bottom end, etc..

This can be a good thing for SS rectification, as explained in the above posts.

Then you have the other camp who just wants to enjoy music at moderate or lower levels, and is more purist about the sound reproduction.(Well, both camps are purist about it.)

This camp tends to like simple lower wattage circuits, like single-ended triode amplifiers.

And they favor the warmer sound of tube rectifiers in these circuits.

So I geuss it's a flavor thing.

But I couldn't imagine my SE 6BQ5 5 watt amp without a Mullard EZ-81 in favor of SS rectification.

It's probably one reason why the different 6BQ5's and EL-84's I roll in it sound good.

Mike82,

That is what I thought ! My son is in the 82nd Airbourne now. He is stationed now at Fort Bragg. He has only been in since last June and it looks like the Military isn't sending raw recruits into the action although he regrets not being with his deployed comrades it sure makes my wife and I rest easier at night.

Craig