How good does it sound?

Taylor189

It really is impressive and as far as ergonomics I have NO complaints.  The dial pad is a great touch, probably the best "volume" control I have used, so smooth and easy to dial, similar to my iPod ;).

The bass is definately there, I like the type of port yall went with, makes for a better looking sum IMO.  The 90/60 bypass is a huge plus in my eyes, just exibits a quality product.  I have mine set to the AUTO power option and it seems to kcik on right on time.  The phase switch was very helpful as well, I am at 180* I believe.

I had to have my dad move it around and set it up via my instruction since I was stuck to my bed.  He had NO problems connecting it to my HT receiver and when we connected it from the sound card.

One thing we did notice.  When we used the cables provided, non gold plated minicables, with output devices with lower output levels, such as a cd player, iPod, and the like, you could get severe static or cuttoffs.  However, using another gold plated cable fixed that issue completely.  This reminded me of the v2.400 fiasco hehe.  We all were switching out our mini plugs LoL!

The bass is certainly loud, can get boomy but that is to be expected for the price, size and who it is made for.  People who like their cars to shake will especially enjoy this sub hehe.

I am not an engineer, but, it seems like it MIGHT be able to go lower if it had just a little more airspace to reduce the air volume leaving the port, just an idea I had.

It is certainly well built... is it heavier than the 5.1 sub?  It seemed to be to my dad.  The back panel reminded me of a real hometheater subwoofer.

All in all, it would not surprise me if I bought 3 more and did a corner array... LOL!

At one point, while only connected to a powered off receiver, my cat used the pod to rub his chin, that turned the knob and a beastly BUUUOOOOMMMMMM noise arose from the small cube and scared the bejesus out of the cat and myself!  It nearly caused enough vibrations in the room to

shake my KLIPSCH (Stolen from PWK) mug (via eBay) which sits on the top of my dresser on the top of its mirror which has a 3 inch wood ledge (solid cherry).  Luckily I caught it in time, as in I grabbed the control pod and turned it down a few notches.

Where I used it the most was actually not in conjunction with my ProMedia speakers at all.  Right now, well about 4 weeks ago), I am working on building a Sonosub which is to be placed with my two Heresy speakers.  until then i had been using a simple dual bass box subwoofer setup

i created consisting of two 10" woofers and boxes about 2/3 the size of a heresy.  They were powered with 75 watts each RMS via a parts express plate amp.  Anywho, the SWS connecting in this setup over powers those, which i had previousely been proud of... grr klipsch! LoL!  It does not keep up with the Heresy's at loud volumes... but not many speakers can, and if anyone expects one

this low in price to do so, they need to get their heads fixed!  But, at normal listening volumes it really throws in the extra LF's that make the difference and allow me to lower the chance of distortion on the heresy's via a low cut filter.

if there was an easy way to make a sub this small, this cheap, this loud, and this practicle without the port noise (albeit atpretty decent volumes) I think we would be in heaven.  Right now though, we are stuck on earth and without spending a thousand or so for a Sunfire to get a compact sub, or $500 for a big 'ol SVS, etc etc.

I was amazed when my dad brought it into my room though, talk about shock factor!  right now it sits corner loaded about 3 feet from a heresy and about 3 feet from my TV and receiver.  I am going to watch some movies with it once I get back home (back in the hospital, they only

gave me one night at home, though I do plan to make it back tonight once and for all!).

So what did I think of the SWS?... ;)

I did not see any specs on the website, I will see what I can't do about finding that out, though Klipsch's anechoic chamber MIGHT be better at that than my bedroom hehehe.

Thanks for the review! I might get a couple of those if I can afford them... One question though I play alot of Battlefield 1942 and I love the way the room shakes with my Promedia's bass turned all the way up. Are all the continual explosions overstressing my sub perhaps? I like the bass but I don't wanto abuse my sub or anything. Just wanted your take on that.

I have the 5.1 system and they rock hard along with the SWS. But i would suggest that you try getting 2 subs or more because if you play your system at loud volumes, then one sub will puff too hard and eventually blow out. The more subs you have, the less you have to move the volume dial on the sub and the great the overall sound without the heavy puffing from the sub.

Here is what i have:

dualsubs.jpg

----------------

On 3/22/2003 11:55:12 AM Taylor189 wrote:

Awesome thanks. So if I run them too hard they will blow??????
----------------

No. You are not very likely to blow the speakers or the amp. You would know when to stop pushing them because they will just make port noise. You only blow speakers when you over extend them, and I have NEVER heard of anyone blowing a Klipsch speaker, except for some older Klipsch Forte's (or was the KG-4...)which had foam surrounds and over time they would dry out and start to crack.

Don't get me wrong, pushing speakers and amps to the max is never a good idea. Over time it could cause damage to the amplifier, but I doubt that these ProMedia speakers, when coupled to their own amplifier and not to a home theater or other such amp, will blow. It has NEVER been reported on these bulletin boards since the ProMedia inception. I stress though, don't put the amp through more stress than what is needed. So if you get the SWS you can take some load off the ProMedia 5.1 amplifier and spread it out onto the SWS's (as far as the bass amplification goes).

Alright thanks for the advice. It's certainly good to hear that you can never really blow them. One more question though about the amp (yes another question!!) and that is if the 03-A's still have problems, will driving your amp hard make them any more inclined to failure?

The sub will fit right on top of the 5.1 sub, but i wouldnt suggest putting it on there. I dont think that sub was meant to have anything on top of it no matter how solid the enclosure is...but you can always try it. Also, my 5.1 sub is under my desk, not in that picture.

The sub doesnt slip because it has large rubber feet underneath it and those feet fit dirrectly ontop of the sws sub when stacked....so it fits in a slot....somewhat. And with 2 subs, its about 80lbs; they are not going anywhere.

They stand about 20" or so. They are not very high.

----------------

On 3/22/2003 1:23:55 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

So if you get the SWS you can take some load off the ProMedia 5.1 amplifier and spread it out onto the SWS's (as far as the bass amplification goes).

----------------

so do you put the sub on your 5.1 to -2 or anything like that to take some load off of the 5.1 sub?

Yeah that can be done because most of the low end is handle by the sws subs. The only thing that should be heard from the 5.1 sub is the higher level bass....going into midrange. So -2 thru -4 would be a good setting. Also, if you set the cross over to 90hz, then you might want to turn the 5.1 sub lower because more is being handled by the sws sub. But then again, it doesnt sound to great when the crossover is set high.

----------------

On 3/23/2003 2:05:00 AM Krillian Hex wrote:

If the amp does fail, it will mostlikely be the fuse located in the back. Just change that an youll be fine. But please, for the sake of your speakers, money and neighbors, dont play them to hard where the amp are overpushed. If you need power, add another sub.

----------------

You can do this without voiding the warranty? Also how do you know what fuse it uses?

The fuse breakpoint is mentioned in the back. And mostlikely, you will not have to replace that on average use...but if you turn it all the way up, the fuse will blow before your speaker blows.

The fuse is labeled T 2A/250V. So if you need to change it, make sure you get a 2amp fuse.

And i dont think it voids the warranty...but you might want to check that. When my stuff breaks, i break it even more throwing it at walls.