starter subwoofer

dtel

• Moderators

thanks for any help. can't find any decent subs

used. in my price range for now.just bought new reciever yamaha rxv 730 and klipsch sb3 sc1 ss1 not much $ left at the moment $200 to $300 .what about bic v1215 ? dont see anything about them, or diy, never had a sub before.need some kind of sub for now. think i got a fair price on the klipsch $940 for all aut.dealer. thanks for any advice.1.gif

• Like 1

----------------

On 3/23/2003 12:38:35 AM dtel wrote:

thanks for any help. can't find any decent subs

used. in my price range for now.just bought new reciever yamaha rxv 730 and klipsch sb3 sc1 ss1 not much $ left at the moment $200 to $300

----------------

If you can live without, I would just say to simply hold off on the sub, save up your money and get something like the SVS 20-39 PC-plus or PB1-ISD.

From 200-300USD you may not find a true subwoofer to meet your needs.Unless you build your own(Adire sells drivers and amps),building a good sub is a reality below $300,these often best $700 known brand subs.

I would wait and get at least a Paradigm PW2200(purchased one for $800CAN including taxes!),or better yet order a HSU VTF3 or its competitor from SVS the PC-Plus.All three are TRUE subwoofers and provide BIG performance.

If you dont have a huge room the Carver Knight Shadow will more then do,it goes low and has good output down to 25Hz.Should go for under $700US

Just stay away from the Sony WM40(an overhyped piece of p00p passed as a great value)

If you must get a sub and dont want to build from plans look at PolkAudio,they have ok subs and are dirt cheap.PSB would also be a good choice

Not to seem like im picking on you ear ;) , but what polk(s) did you find decent? When I was looking at subs (before I got an SVS) I looked at some, and wasn't impressed...maybe it was just the setup in circuit city that threw me off. Any particular model you think is decent for the money? My friends always ask me what to get, and they never want to pay as much as even the relatively cheap svs subs (cheap bastards;) )

When you are looking at a UP TO $300 price range and say DIY is not a viable option then no "sub" in this price range will ever impress.

Its like saying WELL THE T34 TANK IS OUTDATED AND CANNOT COMPETE WITH A M1. Duh sure thing but one costs several times more and you better get more for all the extra spent.2.gif

My first choice for less than $300 would be to get the Apex SR 350W sub package with the SAE 1204 woofer, $250. Buy a chunk of Sonotube from Home Depot for $10 and be done with it.

http://www.apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm

http://www.apexjr.com/speakerstuff.html

Second choice would be the Parts Express 250W amp and the Blueprint 1201 for $190.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=12222458&St=6483&St2=65484296&St3=-71708613&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=9388&DID=7

http://www.audioliquidators.com/sub.html

Later on you could get fancy and build box and slap a couple passive radiators on it.

For the Price, the JBL PB-12 is a good one, you can ifnd it between $250-350

Amplifier Power (RMS): 250 Watts

Low-Frequency Driver: 12" Pure-cellulose fiber cone

Inputs: Line-level (switchable to LFE) and speaker-level with gold-plated 5-way binding posts

Outputs: Speaker-level, high-pass with gold-plated 5-way binding posts

Low-Pass Frequency: Continuously variable from 50Hz - 150Hz

High-Pass Frequency: 150Hz when using speaker-level outputs

Frequency Response: 25Hz - low-pass crossover setting

Dimensions

(H x W x D): 15-1/2" (17-1/2" with feet) x 15" x 16" 394mm (445mm with feet) x 381mm x 406mm (includes amplifier heatsink)

Weight: 40 lb (18.2kg.)

• Moderators

thanks for the help,i think i will try diy { acoustic visions } for some help also.

sorry i dident explain any better, music 75% movies 25%.

i do a fair amount of woodworking already so i guess

this is the way i should go. i will let you all know

how it works out. thanks again i learn a lot from all

of of the post. it really helps a lot of people figure

out some of this stuff,look how many people read through

these post and never post !

• Like 1