an education in audio...

DrWho

Oh dammit...it's right on the tip of my tongue. It's here in Orlando, I think...I believe it's called "Full Sail", something along those lines. You may have to do a Google search for that, but I know there's an accredited school in central Florida that's known for it's recording/audio engineering.

Hope this helps!

I don't know of any dedicated "Audio" programs here. I guess electical engineering would provide the basis education on which to branch into audio specific work. GA Tech, in Atlanta, has an excellent EE program and one course a lot of guys take is on loudspeaker design.

While attending CEDIA a few years ago, I attended a session given by some Brits. Afterward, we talked for a bit. These younger guys were saying that in England they have a few schools offering majors specific to audio, including tube technology, analog, etc., as well as digital stuff.

They must take their music more seriously than we do.

ya, there's SAE and Full Sail and many other technical schools like that. I'm more interested in a liberal arts type school that provides degrees in audio related fields such as equipment design (speakers/amps/mixing consoles) while also providing a broad education (or is broad not what I need?). This Georgia Tech thing sounds interesting though, cuz there's bound to be lots of EE involved with building stuff. At the same time though, I would like to be able to take classes in live mixing or producing recordings. I'm yet to find a school that does it all, but perhaps I'm looking for too much.

Hartford offers something close to what I'm looking for...

Audio Engineering Technology (BS)

This program is ideal for those wishing to combine an interest in music with a technical career working with sound systems. You will take courses spanning three distinct yet complementary disciplines electronics, acoustics, and music. You will also explore the fundamentals of music theory and harmony.

For those who know how to test, install, operate, and repair sound systems, the career possibilities are endless.

Thanks for the tips so far though...I'd really like to get a degree in something related without having to get a degree in music (because that means I gotta perform an instrument, learn piano, and do all sorts of stuff I'd rather not do)

as a sidenote, isn't justin pursuing an audio related career? perhaps you'd be willing to share your plans...or would that be bad if we ended up as competitors? 2.gif

I was trying to post about this today in class, but the bell rang... so:

EE is fun... I think I will be going into EE. But, if you like designing things like rooms for speakers, etc. take a look at acoustical engineering. There are some firms across America, one in NYC that works on all the big events and parks. Might be interesting- design a theatre. 1.gif Just a thought.