My belles have arrived

m00n

Peter,

I heard that if you use too much of the linseed oil at once, it will go and then stay 'tacky'. Ever have that problem with it?

The previous owner of my Cornwalls used a product called 'Howards Restore-a-Finish. He finished off with 'Howards Orange Oil'. I was so impressed with look of the Cornwalls when I got them, that I decided to try these products on my Dad's JBL Aquarius IV towers while rebuilding them. I was very pleased with the outcome. I've been using the Orange Oil on my Cornwalls to great effect.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, it did say "lent free" cloth, but we're almost to Easter. I've not had a problem with the speaker being sticky or tacky. I doubt that the Belles had any treatment for years, and they sucked up the oil. I imagine if you oil them frequently there's a point where the wood just won't absorb any more and start being tacky. It'll dry out pretty quickly though. I mentioned in my earlier post that I used to oil my KG4s about every 6 months - they were never tacky. Attached is a pic of the top of my water-stained Belle after two steel wool treatments. The right front of the speaker had about 3-4 overlapping black waterstain rings which you can still barely see if you look hard. The second wood panel from the right also had a big stain on it, which is completely gone. I imagine that the remaining marks will disappear when I do the speaker again in about a month or so.

Peter

post-11579-13819246808924_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 3/27/2003 1:56:00 PM peterbwreal wrote:

Just soak the steel wool pad and scrub in the direction of the grain, not across the grain. The veneer is quite durable and will not be damaged unless it is already peeling. Fine steel wool when moistened with oil is not nearly as abrasive as you think.....

----------------

I seem to recall a note of caution from HDBRbuilder for those who wish to use steel wool for light sanding of their speakers. I believe he said that users should take measures to ensure that their no metal particles from the steel wool get into their horn openings and/or drivers.

Not sure such an advisory was pointed out earlier in this thread. If so, please disregard.

----------------

On 3/27/2003 9:59:25 PM JMON wrote:

By the way Moon, it looks like you have Brown grill cloth, not cane. Cane is more of a very light tan color (not yellow, or green), and looks more like woven straw than cloth.

----------------

Yeah, that's right. My wife calls it old ugly carpet.