Help! Very loud irregular popping from Heresy

robforst1

Firstly you must determine whether the problem is with the amplifier or the speaker.

Hook the left speaker to the right speaker contacts on the amp and vice-versa. Does the problem follow the speaker?

If so the problem is in the speaker and my best guess is that the woofer's voice coil is rubbing or equally likely that the box is leaking air. Unlike other Klipsch speakers the Heresy relies on the air volume in the cabinet to control the excursion of the woofer. If there is a substantial air leak the woofer cone can and will bottom out.

If however the problem is now exhibited by the speaker that is now connected to the same terminals that the "popping" speaker had been connected to then the problem is with the amplifier. The fact that the noise occurs regardless of which source component you use makes the amp at least as likely as the speaker to be the source of the problem. I suggest that this is especially likely if the problem did not show up suddenly - ie. This occurred on rare occasions and possibly less noticeably in the recent past but has become more frequent and pronounced of late.

Keep us posted.

It could also be occurring if the speakers are being overdriven by the amplifier with music, or a movie soundtrack with heavy bass content. Are your tone controls set to "flat" (no enhancement) if it is a newer recorded CD that you are playing the signal level on them is very high and can cause breakup in the sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Rob

I bought a pair of Heresys on eBay and experienced the same sound you describe, in one speaker. I noticed it more when the volume was up. Turns out (as described in earlier posts, above) that there was excessive air leaks in both speakers, as the previous owner had apparently removed the speaker risers, but failed to plug the holes. Both woofers had bottomed out, since the speakers were no longer sealed..but I had only noticed the one popping. I turned it up a little louder and noticed the other doing the same thing. (mind you the volume was loud, but not distorted) Anyway, I only discovered the problem after getting excellent advice from posters on this BB. I ended up calling Klipsch and replacing both woofers, $90.00 apiece. I bought these and thought I got a great deal, but after replacing the woofers, turns out I broke even i.e. a "normal" price, Ah well..they were for a second system, as I have KHorns for my main set up. Anyway, just my 2¢ worth..your problem sounded familiar.

Regards,

Steve

• 1 month later...

I was running my Heresies with a little Concept 2.0 receiver at 20 watts this morning. During a punchy run at moderate/loud levels, it started to thwap. I assume it bottomed out. During problem solving, I realized that there was a very large leak around the tweeter, as in not even close to being sealed. I have used it for months this way with no problems. They are '74 vintage, so they have been this way forever. Is it possible that I did permanent damage, or if I seal them up, will they be salvageable?

Thanks,

VJ

VJ

You may get lucky as it depends if the voice coil got damaged durning the bottoming out. BUT the noise you are hearing may also just be a blown woofer in which case it's just too late. There is only one way to find out... plug the hole, and listen to them.

I'm assuming that you've already tested the amps and sources...

Rob