Vinyl Warpage

I picked up a mint+ version of ZZ Top "Deguello", problem is it has a 2 milimeter warp for about 20 degrees of the full 360 degree of the record.

It does not sound horribly bad; the tonearm moves up noticably though.

Can I bake it in the oven between two pieces of .5 inch plywood with bricks on top.

LOL

All ideas encouraged.

Leave it alone. Just store it vertically & snuggly (not tightly) between other LP's. The warp might reduce overtime (probably not).

Hell, there was time I remember nearly ALL records I bought were warped!

Ahhh..........don't you just love that "inaudible" doppler distortion?

1.gif

Actually you ARE on the right track believe it or not! Go to Lowe's and have them cut you two 13"-14" square sheets of glass. Place warpage between the plates and sit them in the sun for 1/2 hour or so. I usually put a large "coffee-table" book after and let it cool down. I've also had good luck using an industrial strength blow dryer instead of the sun. Don't believe me? Try a crap record first because I didn't believe who told this to me at first. I've "fixed" at least 20 records like this and none have turned to goo.

I have managed to flatten LP's in the past using hot water. ( I had the water just cool enough that I could immerse my hands without discomfort). I then sandwiched the LP in a lint free towel and placed a large,heavy book on the top and let it sit for a few hours. In some cases it worked beautifully and in others didn't accomplish a damned thing.

Be careful not to get the label too wet for too long however.

(I got this from "The Care And Feeding Of Vinyl" web site, pretty much says it all.) Record Restoration

No matter how diligently you work to prevent damage to your records, some of them might already be warped.

What do you do if you have a warped record that youd really like to play? You can try to salvage a piece of warped vinyl, but beware: attempt this only at your own risk. Its easy to warp vinyl, but very difficult to un-warp. Restoration attempts may warp your LPs further or even destroy thembut they have also been known to work.

Un-warping methods:

Put the warped record between two pieces of glass to form a glass sandwich. Apply gentle heat by placing the sandwich in the oven under low heat (no more than 150 F). If its a nice, warm day, you can also place it outside, in the sunlight.

If you can find two pieces of clean, non-stick, smooth metal, try placing the record between them and ironing at a low setting

Playing warped records

You can find devices that will allow you to play warped records, but bear in mind that nothing can fix a bell-shaped record! And even a slightly warped record will sound slurred.

Some suggestions:

Disc clamps push the record against the turntable platter, forcing the LP to flatten (and subsequently play). But, they can place stress on the turntable and may damage it.

Spindle clamps lock over the spindle and are far less damaging.

Air pumps, generally found on high-end turntables, create suction that pulls the record flat onto the turntables platter, but they are costly.

Use caution when attempting to fix or play your warped records