"Reholing" a record?

whell

Just picked up a decent copy of "Who's Next" by the Who. Unfortunately, the spindle hole is not quite centered. It seems to result in Roger Daltry's voice picking up an undesirable warble, particulatly as the tonearm moved towards the spindle during play.

Has anyone encountered this with another disk? Is it correctable?

I remember in the last year addressing this problem with Clipped & Shorn. Ideas for solutions ranged from filling and redrilling, to making a hole (centered of course) the exact size of a 45rpm record hole, and then using one of those adapters. Considering the record isn't ultra rare, it's probably not worth the time, except as an experiment, IMHO.

fini

----------------

On 4/2/2003 7:54:29 AM Randy Bey wrote:

yes, tape the LP to the wall and from ten feet shoot a larger hole in it with a .45.

----------------

Randy,

Is that why they call those records "45's?"

fini

I read somewhere way back (possibly in the Klipsch Audio Papers I sent out) that PWK used to do that all the time (re-center record holes). I believe he simply used a small fine round file to remove a small amount of vinyl inside the hole & marked the label so you know which side of the hole to push against the spindle in the future. If you find the record is moving on you during playback just use one of those TT disc clamps.

A trick us DJs do for recordholes that are too large---you know the labels they give out with blank cassettes and videotapes? Well they're actually good for something! Keep in mind that these records are considered to be more like "tools" than actual records I sit down and enjoy listening to. First off, when a recordhole is too large and you're either scratching or cueing up a record to beat-mix it with whatever's on turntable #2 it's gonna skip(there's simply "play" at the spindle). Back to those labels. I usually slice a cassette label lengthwise and then in half to create 4 equal length strips. Insert(through the hole) 1 at 6 o'clock and attach it to both sides of the record. Again at 10 and 2 o'clock. Now the record should be really snug against the spindle. Sometimes you may only need one or two. Sometimes(as for a record I ONLY scratch with i.e. a DJ battle or "sample" record) I add spacers even if the hole is fine. I know none of you guys(except that one member who loves his Technics 1200) can really use this info but I thought I'd like to share a story from the OTHER side of the turntable. For what it's worth I do not scratch Miles on the Rega.