McIntosh MC275

Radiohead

I just acquired a McIntosh C22 preamp and an MC275 for my Khorns. I was wondering if anyone has had any past or current experience with the MC275. Such as what tubes sound best with the unit.

What would be the difference sonically between KT-88's and 6550's? Can anyone recommend some good choices for each tube style?

Thanks,

Ryan

Thumbs up on the C-22!! I've had one as part of my main system for the better part of 20 years and I think it is the BEST of the classic vintage stereo preamps (sorry Marantz guys). The best tubes for this one are Mullard box-plate CV4004--and get the 1960's version!!!

Then there's the MC275. My advice? SELL IT! Escpecially if you got it for a good price. The 275 is the darkest of all the MAC amps--sure it makes TONS of power, but with horns you don't NEED 100 watts per side (this is what this monster puts out on the bench!) I've owned a couple of them and the ONLY output that you should consider is the GEC KT-88, but even with these I really don't like the 275 all that much. It is THE most solid-state sounding vintage tube amp I have ever come across. So, sell the 275 and get yourself a mint pair of MC-30's and with the extra cash you can get some REALLY *****in' tubes and still have at least a grand or 1500 left over!

----------------

On 4/3/2003 1:05:29 AM Allan Songer wrote:

So, sell the 275 and get yourself a mint pair of MC-30's and with the extra cash you can get some REALLY *****in' tubes and still have at least a grand or 1500 left over!

----------------

...which you can use to buy a record!

fini

...or if you still want to be a Mc Freak, look at the MC225....IMHO, the sweetest sounding stereo amp McIntosh ever made.

And if you stray away from the DARK side & really want true musicality, come over to the TRIODE side!

Having fun & listening to music (more than writing on this forum),

Pete12.gif

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I think what I will have to do is acquire a good example of each the MC30's, a MC225, and an MC240 and then compare all four of them and see which sounds the best with the C22. The gentleman I purchased the Khorns from, about two years ago, was driving them with a Mac MX110 and an MC240. They sounded so incredible at the time. I realize I don't need anywhere near that kind of power with these speakers but it was somewhat of a package deal and the price was too good to pass up. You can't really go wrong investing in vintage Mac equipment as it seems to only go up in value.

I have always wanted to try a good pair of MC30's but they seem to be quite rare and only pop up on ebay and audiogon every once in awhile. I'll keep an eye out for some of the GEC KT-88's and let you know how this setup turns out.

WOW! While you're at it you might as well get a pair of MC60s, a pair of Marantz 2, Marantz 5 and Marantz 9 monoblocks and maybe throw in a pair of Quad II for good measure!!

Didn't mean to be a jerk about this--just giving you my honest opinion about the MC275. It's STILL a great amp and I'm sure it will bring you years of musical bliss!! ENJOY!!

I admit that my experience with Mc tube amps is rather limited, but I agree that the MX110/MC-225 combo is really VERY musical. I am still surprised how natural these two units sound (but out of sheer curiosity I wouldn't mind trying those MC-30s, too - but unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees....)

Wolfram

Well, I'll add a dissenting viewpoint. I've had a Mc 275 for close to twenty years, and it, to me, has a very agreeable sound - I guess one person's "dark" is another person's "mellow." In any event, even after 9 years in a California garage (before I bought it, I hasten to add) being dropped down a flight of stairs (some students shouldn't be trusted with even the most basic of tasks) and who knows how many other indignities, it still puts out great sound with never a trace of strain or fatigue. I've got or have had at one point or another a MC-225, a MC-240, MC-60s,

MC-30s, MC-50s, a MC-2100 and a MC-2300. To me, on the LaScalas or the Cornwalls, the 275 is the one I'd choose - rust haze, scrapes, dents, cracked logo and all.

I should point out, this is with Genelex KT-88 Gold Lions. With 6550s the sound is much more ordinary, less detailed and, well, a trifle tubby.

The C-22 is a great preamp. You've done good.

That's my two cents worth. 9.gif

Don't get me wrong--the 275 is a HELL of an amp. It's just that it goes for CRAZY money on ebay ($3500 for a nice one--and I've seen perfect ones go for FIVE GRAND!). I actually prefer the tube-rectified MACs over the later models and I have been IN LOVE with the sonic characteristics of the REALLY GOOD 6L6 type tubes (GEC KT-66, WE 350B, Mullard EL37) for a long, long time. So, for me the MC30 is the "best" of the MACs and it is also the CHEAPEST (still can be had in EXCELLENT condition for about $1000/pair).

Right now I'm running my MC-30's with WE 350B outputs, GEC U52 rectifiers (have used Brimar 5U4G and WE 274B, but the U52 rules in the MC-30), 1940's RCA 12BH7 blackplates, Telefunken 12AX7 smooth-plates and Mazda 12AU7. These tubes are worth MORE than the amps (really crazy!).

Fini,

Thanks for the thumbs up on the quote. It is one of my favorites in all of history. It is scary how true those words still ring today literally hundreds of years after they were first uttered. The Patriot Act and push for "homeland security" really scare me; but, I will leave it at that since this is not a political discussion forum.

Allan and others,

This is really quite strange. Yesterday I met up with the gentleman I purchased the Khorns from to discuss my newly purchased equipment over some tea. He mentioned to me that the MC240 that he was using on the Khorns has just been sitting in his closet for the past two years collecting dust and that he was actually in the market to sell it. He anticipated getting new speakers to replace the Khorns, which he would have used the 240 to drive, but he never got around to it and doesn't know when he will find the time. So, needless to say, I can now cross the 240 off of my list of "Mac items I need to acquire." He gave me the sweetest deal being a repeat customer.

As soon as I have a few days/weeks to demo both these amps with the C22 I will let all of you know my take on each.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Ryan

I much prefer the 240 to the 275--especially with horns. If you need to borrow a quad of GEC KT-66 I have quite a few NOS quads on hand here. The 240 really needs a tube of this quality to shine. You also need at least ONE killer 12ax7--use it in the first, "shieled" position.

If you end up settling on the 240 over the 275 I'll sell you the quad of KT-66 at a very reasonable below market price-- if not just pay for the shipping both ways!

Allan,

That is an extrememly generous and kind offer. Thank you. I would definitely like to take you up on that. The tubes that came with the amp appear to be the originals or perhaps he just replaced them with the same over the years. The 6L6's are labeled McIntosh. I really need to invest in a tube tester. I have no idea what the life of them is like but they sound pretty strong. I would love to compare them with the GEC's.

Also, I forgot to comment on it in my last reply but you mentioned the Mullard CV4004 in regards to the C22. What would you say the going rate on those would be right now? I saw Upscale Audio selling them on audigon about three weeks ago. They had them priced at $55 and $60 for the "private reserve" whatever that means. Is that a decent price for NOS CV4004's or can better be had? The C22 has Telefunkens in it right now. The seller said they had only been in the unit about a year.

I will PM you with my mailing address. Let me know the shipping cost and I'll send you a check.

Ryan

Awhile back I purchased Mac C-11 preamp, a MC-240 power amp, and MR-66 tuner. I'm operaing all of them except for the tuner.

Anybody have any thoughts about these - how they sound compared to some of the other Mac stuff?

PS: I bought the whole lot from an estate sale for $250. I think I got taken 11.gif

• 3 years later...

Awhile back I purchased Mac C-11 preamp, a MC-240 power amp, and MR-66 tuner. I'm operaing all of them except for the tuner.

Anybody have any thoughts about these - how they sound compared to some of the other Mac stuff?

PS: I bought the whole lot from an estate sale for $250. I think I got taken 11.gif

Yes, you were robbed. I run a C11/MC240 combo with my Khorns in my living room. I'm extremely happy with it. MX110, C22, C11 all very good McIntosh preamps. I didn't like the C20 much but I can't say I ever heard a properly rebuilt/serviced one. None of these units sound their best until somebody knowledgable has serviced them. That goes for just about any vintage tube amp or preamp I've ever got my hands on and I've got my hands on a fair number of them.