Just finished replacing the woofer drivers. And a few words

m00n

Um... Well, where to begin.

Ok... How about an apology. Indeed... I owe you all an apology for doubting any of you.

Replacing these drivers has made 110% improvement. WOW... All I can say is WOW! They are so full sounding now. I don't mean just loud, but full, full of music and sound. Nope.... I won't be getting rid of these anytime soon.

Sparkling highs

Smooth mids

Lots of full bass (still not quit where I want it, but I can accept it)

Oddly enough, the two drivers were not the same. The one that was blown had a smaller voice coil cover than the one that was NOT blown. The one that was NOT blown looked exactly like the replacements with the exception of this. The new drivers have round mags, the ones I just took out had square. So, at some point the previous owner must have replaced one.

The voice coil was not actually frozen, but, when I would push down on the speaker you could hear it grinding. 9.gif

I took some pics, I will post them later. Family just got home and it's getting busy here now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vavoline, thanks man!

Now know where you all are coming from when you say that fully horn loaded speakers really bring out imperfections, or bad recordings. I played Extremes "Three sides to every story". I was thinking to myself it sounded stale, put in the Tangerine Dream, sounded excellent as well as Pink Floyd.

I am truely impressed with these Belles. 10.gif

----------------

On 4/2/2003 11:50:55 PM m00n wrote:

I am truely impressed with these Belles.
10.gif

----------------

Congrads from here also. Glad to see you got it all worked out. Welcome to the (Heritage) party!

Bryan

Moon,

Good to hear that things worked out.

I was sympathetic that the purchase didn't give you a pair of Belle's in full working order. Your comments were, in my reading, just directed to the seller, and general frustration on not getting what you paid for.

It seems to me that you're discovering what I did. A full horn loaded horn system is somehow more integrated in the sound. On the other hand, the smaller bass horns don't quite get all the bass we want; size does matter, here.

Also, some recordings sound poor on the three way horn system while other's are wonderful. At some point, you might start to conclude that the speakers are accurate and the recordings are not. But I leave that to you. That was my conclusion.

Congrats on sticking with it in some frustrating situations.

Gil

m00n, my man, so happy that you're happy! Klipsch Heritage horns are like no others, and their sound is as you just described! And once you weed out your good recordings from the bad ones (which the Belle Klipsch plainly point out to you), you will really enjoy the way your system sounds...how it will transform you into another dimension; it's a natural high (and it's not even drug induced).

Wait till you get yourself a tube integrated amp and a good clean source...you think your Belles sound great now? Wait till you change out your amp and CD player! You've only just begun to realize what lies ahead for your ears! They're in for a treat, indeed!10.gif

Moon, how long did it take for your new drivers to arrive from Klipsch, and what was the price? Just curious, as I have a woofer in one of my Corns that needs to be replaced. It really doesn't sound all that bad, but when you push in on on the woofer cone, it rubs and makes a scraping noise.

As I understand it, this means I need a new woofer.

Val...

They were $128 or $129 total including shipping. I ordered them last Thursday March 27th, got them today Wednesday April 2nd. I was told it would take 5 to 7 business days, but I got them before that time frame. I was very happy about that. Yeah you definitly want to do something with that driver. I don't know much about this, but you may be able to have it fixed rather than buy a brand new one. I am just kinda stubborn in that way though, I wanted brand new.

jt1stcav, Now that they sound so much better, I don't feel as rushed to find ways to make them sound better. Now I feel as though I can take my time finding a Scott amp. Though, I am looking forward to hearing these powered by some tubes. 1.gif

Ah yes... I am much happier now. Much more satisfied. Oh and I have some new tweeter diaphrams coming too. Hoping they will be here by next week.

BTW... Got a question. Anyone have any ideas on what to do with the blown driver? I hate to toss it if something cool can be done with it.

It wouldn't make a good ash tray, but maybe to hold your jelly beans!

I don't know, depending on its condition, maybe it can be reconed/rebuilt somehow. If so, you could either keep it for a spare, or sell it to another forum member who could use one.

----------------

On 4/3/2003 1:11:26 AM Vavoline wrote:

m00n, is that $128 per each or for both?

----------------

Each.... Sorry I didn't make that clear.

jt1stcav maybe I will just take it apart to see how it works.

Yeah... but I just don't need a blown speaker sitting around and I don't plan on getting it fixed. I mean... Well... What are the chances of blowing one of my new drivers? I don't have an EQ to bump up the bass, so what really are the chances I would blow one? I still have this other good one for a spare.

I say use it as a sacrifice to the Gods of learning how speakers work.

2.gif

You're right, you have a far better chance of getting struck by lightning than blowing both your new woofers! It's never even crossed my mind that I would ever need to replace ANY of my Cornwall's drivers/woofers...there's no way for me to ever destroy them! I have no tone controls (no preamp) or equalizers, unless I accidently crank my amp's gain controls to max while listening to Marylin Manson's Lunchbox CD!11.gif

I say, make the sacrifice to the Almighty...better that woofer than a goat (less mess).

m00n:

I'm glad to hear things worked out. Hang in there on the bass extension thing. You'll find that once the woofer's surround loosens up a bit, the bass extension will improve.

I also agree with jt1, too. The Belles are VERY transparent and as you upgrade your source and amplifier components, you'll easily notice the improvements. The Belles are long term keepers.

Good luck!

Mike