Help with $200 sub!!

onadi

Ok I just purchased a set of Reference 3ii series speakers, Denon 2803 and a Yamah C6480 for my first HT. I only have about $200 dollars left to spend on a sub. I don't want DIY because I will make an ugly POS as I am inept at such things. Now, my options are obviously limited due to budget restraints. Here is what I have come up with either:

A Sony ASWM40 which is $150...I know this is nopt great but I just need it to last a couple months til I can afford a better sub.

Another thing I am considering is using the JL Audio Car subs that I have. They are 10 W0's which is the low end but still better than most. I am wondering if I purchase a 10" sub like an AR 1010 and replace it with this woofer, will it make a good home audio sub? Like I said, this will only be for a few months but I am wondering if you guys thinkn it would be better than the Sony.

Thanks for any help

I would do the Car sub thing, since you are only going to be waiting a few months. Then you can put the money towards a really good sub. I have heard the Sonys, & I think you would be disappointed.

As a joke from a friend, I put an Infinity 12" sub into a Heresy cabinet I just emptied for my center channel project. It worked so well, I ended up making 2 of them, & driving them from the 2 unused 100wpc amps in my receiver.

320 watt RMS BASH amplifier

20 Hz tuning point

+/- 3 dB 20 Hz-100 Hz

39" tall, 16" in diameter

Download the SVS Powered Cylinder Series Subwoofer Manual

View the 20-39 PCi Performance Chart

What size subwoofer should I choose?

Should I get the PCi or the Passive CS Series?

Figure out your shipping cost!

Read an Audio Review on this sub!

features.gif

$599

buy_it_now.gif

Custom US-built SVS long-throw 12" driver

SVS designed, full-featured 320 watt Bash ® digital switching amp

Built-in flush-mount amp configuration (220v. version available)

Computer Assisted Design (CAD) cylindrical enclosure

Exclusive SVS down-firing woofer with integrated base-plate

Compliant disk floor mounts, very low center of gravity

Precision tuned high-flow 4" flared portDon't want to start a sub war. just my 2 Cents........

This is weird of me to do this, but I also recommend the SWS, well I recommend 2x SWS for around $300. The SWS will only do down to 30-35hz really, but will be doing it at 110db SPL and well Home Theater Subs can't do that for under that price (Mind you this is 2x SWS's). It's up to you though, you could build your own sub with a custom driver, but it does take a little time.

Gamer Depot had a review on three of em, and said at it's peak hit a bone crunching 119db. I'm inclined to beleve them because I got to witness 16x SWS's at a Audio show, and let me tell you...it made my SunFire Sig. look pitiful SPL wise (Peak anyhow, my Sig. destroy it on low end SPL impact)..but then again your using 16x 8" drivers costing $1500-2000 total.

Mind you a lot of home theater subs will beat this, you could look at JBL's powercube series for example...which will again beat it at low end impact. This is only temp. anyhoo. The sony is not what it's cracked up to be.

In case you're interested, the Sony is $130 at Sears.com because they're replacing it with a new model. If I was on a budget, it wouldn't be my choice.

My choice would be the Infinity IL100s. On ebay, harmanaudio sells refurb'd units and the auctions frequently end around the $200 mark(sometimes below). I found a used one for $165 so I bought it for my fiancee.

They have output similar to the KSW-12 but none of the boom, boom sound the KSW subs are known for. They even have an on board single band parametric eq built in. They look a heck of a lot better than any other sub in the price range too.

I too was in somewhat of a similar situation. I have a Denon 3802 with 7 Klipsch Reference 3's. I have an old Optimus Dolby ProLogic reciever that I am using to push two Rockford Fosgate Series 1 speakers in a dual bandpass box. The speakers and box are car equipment. In case you haven't heard of Series 1 speakers they were the cheapest speakers Rockford Fosgate made back in 1993. I have had them since high school. Now although these were nothing compared to say.....an SVS PC+16-46, they did bring a low end into my system.

I have had my Denon and Klipsch stuff for about 1 1/2 yrs and have been using my car equipment for that amount of time.

I had considered purchasing a KLM sub from Costco for $100 on many ocations, but I just could not get myself to spend money on some thing I was going to get rid of. The more I saved the sooner I could get what I really wanted. An SVS!

I also had that much more money to play with.

My SVS is now been ordered and will soon be here 9.gif. I am convinced it will be well worth the wait.

My advise to you is use the car subs you have and save for the sub you want. After all with the $200 you have you are 1/3 on your way to an SVS PCi25-311.gif

onadi,

The Sony WM40 amplifier is weak and the cabinet is the main problem.The cabinet is as sturdy as a carboard box.You could buy some acoustic foam to fill the cabinet and reduce the boom.

A subwoofer should never boom just reproduce the lower range,nothing more.

The WM40 sounds like a dimple faced youngster modded Honda subcompact beer can on wheels.All boom and no quality.

Buying woofers and amp for a 10$ carboard box is not a good idea.

Just keep your money until you can buy a real subwoofer.

I got a good idea. You already have the JL woofers and you said didn't want to build anything yourself, why not have someone else build it for you. All you need are the T/S parameters to figure out a proper box. I have them saved in WINISD if you want me to email them to you.

Places like Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio Design build custom subs for reasonable prices. Send them an email with what you want. If you don't know much about sub building, I'm sure they could help you if you give them the T/S parameters.

I'd put my money into a proper enclosure rather than replacing the woofer in a budget sub which probably also has an unpredictable eq curve built into the amp.

I think I will just wait until I can afford something decent. What do you guys recommend around the $400 price range?

I have seen reviews for the Boston PV600, the Adire Audio Rava and the HSU VFT-2. Are these good products?

Thanks

I said screw it. I am just going to get either a 20-39, a 25-31, or a PB1-ISD. I will just fave to hold off on the RS-3 surrounds and get something a cheaper to hold me up for a while. I would rather have a great sub and average surrounds than a crappy sub and great surrounds. Now, I just have to figure out which one is right for me. Any ideas on cheap decent surrounds? I am a broke law student.

Thanks for all your input