Chorus with Khorns

calkevin

I'm thinking of buying some Chorus speakers for rear speakers. My fronts are Khorns. I wanted to get a pair of rears that could somewhat match the volume of my Khorns. Oh and I do not have room for any speaker larger than 20 inches wide.

Can anyone tell me if these speakers will be good together?

Thanks

Greg

Chorus is probably as good as you can do in the 20 inch space you mentioned. Better if you had room would be Lascala or Belle to match your Khorns in volume. It will take around twice the power to get the same sound level out of the Chorus as the Khorns.

Bob

It is interesting that the Chorus was made as a successor to the Cornwall. The Cornwall was made as a companion center channel (plus a great speaker on its own) to the Klipschorn. Both the Cornwall and Chorus are sensitive.

So that makes things good for the use of the Chorus if you don't have room for a Cornwall.

On the other hand . . . .

One reason the Cornwall is a better match to the K-Horn, on paper, is that they use the same tweeter as a whole and the same midrange driver. The latter you have to watch because both the K-Horn and Cornwall used, as the years progressed, different midrange driver models . . . pretty much in lockstep. These were the 55M and 55V.

Now, if that sort of match is important, you might be better off using the Heresy for a rear. That too uses the same tweeter and midrange driver. Again, you have to take into account model years and the V and M model. The Heresy is small enough for your application. It also was designed as a center channel match for the K-Horn.

The downside is that the Heresy is less sensitive than the Cornwall. Then again, surround channels are usually not carrying too much of the overall sound. That, though, is changing a bit with multichannel recordings.

Gil

I think they will be just fine if you are using a reciever (or multiple amps) that allows you to independently adjust the level of each speaker as is the case on most mid-fi on up HT processors.

Over time you will probably notice more and more that there is not a seamless HF match, but I am not sure what that will mean to your ears. Let us know how it sounds to you...