I'm beginning to get the picture.

WMcD

I've been holding off on making the big investment of a home theater system.

I'll be moving into a condo soon. Time to make a purchase of an RPTV.

However, a mission critical computer monitor went on the fritz a couple of days ago and I purchased an Envision 8500 at CompUSA. It is an 18 inch LCD display with TV tuner.

Just wonderful. I've cranked though some DVDs and old sci fi VHS from the primitive video feed.

I can see that that LCD is not quite up to plasma. Still it is a real honey for the price.

It makes me wonder whether RPTV is the way to go or, to hold off for any form of flat screen with more surface area. My guess is that I'll go for a big RPTV just because I can't wait to get this sort of resolution in more surface area.

It was a good purchase in any event.

Gil

Plasma flat screen prices are falling rapidly but still much more expensive than RPTV. My brother was waiting to buy thinking that Plasma prices would be comparable to RPTV. Pioneer Elite 50" is awesome but still near 9 grand. Can buy 3 or 4 RPTV's for that. I think I'd go with the RPTV. But I have a larger room and need bigger than 50".

People, people, people.

Why settle for a small 50' image for $2500 - 3000 where the only good angle is looking dead on at the image? I think people need to consider projectors instead! There are plenty of models out now that are under the $2500 range! Sony HS-10, Panny AE300, Infocus x1, the Sanyo, etc. Why settle for a mere 50' and be limited to where you sit when you can get a 100' + image and a good view from anywhere in the room??? Crazy talk!16.gif

I'd have to say go with RPTV. It's cheaper than both plasma or projection, and totally smokes plasma in terms of picture quality. Even the best plasma's still have poor black level performance. Of course projection is the ultimate, but it'll cost you a bundle. THe new, more expensive RP's have improved greatly in the last few years.

Ever been to a movie theatre and sat too close to the screen? It is as if you have to move your eyes left and right to take in the entire screen. After just a short while it actually becomes uncomfortable to watch. That is what you'll get when you buy too large a screen for your room/seating position.

Cheap RPTV's have been around for years. Good RPTV's have been around for years. Evidently everyone hasn't owned/watched GOOD RPTV's.

Keith

----------------

On 4/9/2003 11:13:13 AM talktoKeith wrote:

Ever been to a movie theatre and sat too close to the screen? It is as if you have to move your eyes left and right to take in the entire screen. After just a short while it actually becomes uncomfortable to watch. That is what you'll get when you buy too large a screen for your room/seating position.

---------------

Yes, but obviously a tv of 50 inch + can fit in his room. I personally think it is silly to pay $2500 or more for a RPTV when you can get a projector that can produce as good of an image and more than double the size. True, maybe 110 inch or more might not fit within the throw distance for his room. But my idea was simply a suggestion for him to look into instead of thinking RPTV was the is-all/be-all. Anyways, I started to look at RPTV about 3 months ago for my new house being built. That's when I started reading about projectors and now have decided that this is what I want. No more limitation of only up to 65 inches. No problem with hooking up computer and video game consoles. No problem when more than 3 people are at the house and everyone isn't at the dead-on angle that is almost required to get a good image off of a RPTV. And the technology of projectors is right up there with RPTV at the same cost! I'm SOLD!2.gif

----------------

On 4/9/2003 8:00:43 AM lancestorm wrote:

Why settle for a small 50' image for $2500 - 3000 where the only good angle is looking dead on at the image? I think people need to consider projectors instead! There are plenty of models out now that are under the $2500 range! Sony HS-10, Panny AE300, Infocus x1, the Sanyo, etc. Why settle for a mere 50' and be limited to where you sit when you can get a 100' + image and a good view from anywhere in the room???

----------------

I'm wondering...do you get the same resolution and color quality with projectors as you do with other HDTV monitors?

I'm wondering...do you get the same resolution and color quality with projectors as you do with other HDTV monitors?

----------------

For the most part, yes you do. The biggest thing (IMO) you have to look for in projectors is the lumens it puts out. In order to make the blacks really stand out, I like at least 1500 lumens, but for most people, 1000 lumens will get you by. But again, the larger you make the screen, the darker the image becomes. for over 80", I would suggest 2000.

Sorry, no relation to horned.

Justin is correct. However one should test out DLP for themselves. Certain portions (small) of the population can see a rainbow effect from DLP projectors during certain scenes in movies (sky scenes are notorious if I remember correctly). Should also look into LCD and the old CRT.

Lumens is very important! But it is more important with the less control you have of your light source. If you are in a basement or other place in the house where you can make it nearly pitch black, then 1500 lumens really isn't required...