CD-ROM for stand alone player

A couple of days ago I got really fed up with using my Playstation2 as a cd player due to the noise of it's cooling fan.

Since I didn't have it in my budget(and won't for a while)to go out and buy a real cd player I started experimenting with what I had lying around the apartment.

I realized that one of the CD-ROM drives in my computer had the extra play/track advance button on the front which would allow me to play CD's without it being hooked up to a computer.

I decided I would try the straight digital output on the back of the drive assumung it was a standard 16/44.1

I now just needed an adapter that would go from the little flat 2 pin connecter on the back of the drive to an rca so I could plug it into the coaxial digital input on the back of my yamaha receiver.

After an hour or so of drooling over all the junk in the local used/surplus electronics store I reemerged into the light with the following items.

cables.jpg

The red and black 4 pin connector was all I could find that was the right size for the back of the drive so I just cut it in half with my trusty spyderco and used one of the little crimp on phone splicers to connect the cables together(since I don't have a soldering iron).

Right now I'm using a computer power suply to power the drive but seeing as how it runs on 12vdc and 5vdc I may try wiring up a battery pack and seeing how that sounds.

Right now the sound itself seems noticeably better then my PS2.

The CD-rom drive seems to have more clarity and a litle better definition with the sound overall not sounding as muddied, although before I made the switch I would have described the sound as anything but muddy.

Now I just need to see how this sounds through a tube amp2.gif

Peace, Josh

Dave,

I'm sure the Revolution is a great deal at that price.

However I still don't have that kind of money right now.

If I had $65 I would have propably just gone ahead and bought a cheap cd player.

As it is right now I'm living on student loans and my audio budget is made up of what I can bum off of people on the street.

Hey mister, I haven't had a good meal in three days can you spare some change? If I get enough quarters I can get a pair of klipschhorns.(jk)3.gif

The sound blaster live meets my needs for hooking up my pc to my receiver at this point(something I don't often do). One annoying fact about the sblive though is that with the digital output it converts everything(even cd audio) to 16/48kHz.

My pc(the newest of three) is so loud that it measures 64dB at my ear level when I'm at my desk14.gif

This is why I am thinking of going battery powered or perhaps using a powered external drive bay that marvel has sitting around back home.

My whole point in doing the experiment with the cd drive was to have a quiet(er) cd player that would cost me nothing, all of the cables and connectors I bought cost me about $3.00 even though I bought double of what I needed.

I'm thinking of taking the spares and trying it on the analog out.

Besides, I enjoy tinkering.

That's what makes this hobby great(that and listening to music).

Peace, Josh

Here is an option... it uses the USB connector to connect to your receiver optical in. Its a direct shot, using the D/A converter in the receiver.

Xitel.com

If you look around the page, they have a cheaper one that is designed for transfering files to a MP3 player.

I am currently using the SBLive digital out. It is good enough for casual listening. I tried the analog out, & it was pretty bad.

Greetings from Phoenix.

See the "SOUND CARD" board on the Klipsch forums. There is a link to a review of the M-Audio Revo card which includes music tests and impressions.

You can also read my initial impressions.

It's a good audio card for $99 but the $350 DAL Card Deluxe and other more expensive cards sound better. I think it sounds very similar to my old sub $200 Toshiba DVD player with digital cable to my Outlaw 1050. I was more impressed when Dave hooked up his Card Deluxe PC but I would claim we have fairly tested the two...it's just that I noticed an improvement (less digital harshness w/the Card Deluxe) and I didn't hear much difference between by DVD and the M-Audio Revo.