Wonderful type A western electric caps

tubelion

This is my latest type A using famous western electric oil caps, the 287A caps 4mf is really good, the other oil caps are all WE.

The 3619 is also replacing the original transformer.

The sound is really good.

Compare with my last prototype using military oil caps , it improves further in the low end with a lot of details yet very very musical.

Every time better parts is used , the sound further improves as the type A is so simple,and therfore so revealing.

Everyone using SET should try type A yourself.

post-10221-13819246963632_thumb.jpg

Hi Randy,

I finally install the 3619 in the crossover.

The WE oil caps all come from ebay.

The last seller sold me 4 NOS 287A for 100USD.

How are you? Hope you have luck and success in your business.

We are busy to fight against atypical pnemonia, need music more than ever.

tubelion

----------------

On 4/9/2003 9:51:11 PM tubelion wrote:

Compare with my last prototype using military oil caps , it improves further in the low end with a lot of details yet very very musical.

I'm curious how changing the caps improved the low end? In my type A the woofer only goes through an inductor - not any caps. In your photo it appears the same.

Thanks,

Rod

tubelion, those look great congratulations! glad they sound good too...I wonder how those vintage caps sound compared to modern caps? have you compared? is it a price thing or a sound thing that pushs you towards the vintage caps? thanks, tony

Hello Rod,

Yes, your query is very much justified, but I report what I hear, my system is very stable: MSB platinum reference CD, first sound passive reference preamp. Jadis 300B mono block. I am familiar with the sound.

The woofer is directly connected to the woofer, it should sound the same. But the fact that the upper end did not open up at day 3 when I reported it, most striking difference is in the low end for example the instrument bass, the string harmonic has a lot more vibration and harmonic than before, I honestly report it, if the improvement is due to the improved mid-level which has some influence on the bass, I really don't know why. Anyone who has a WE caps can try. I do expect some more change after run-in.

If you experiment and have result otherwise, let us know, WE caps is quite easily available in USA, it worths a try, I can buy it afterwards at a resonable price, if you don't like them. I used three months to collect all 6 pieces of 287A.

Tubelion

Dear tony,

Thanks for your congratulation.

I have heard WE amplifier before , they are very famous and expensive in Asia, the sound is so good. The design and quality of parts is excellent, unlike other vintage include Marantz and Mac that I owned before, and these are so common right in Hong Kong, WE 's parts quality is much superior, may be they had a much lager price margin to accomplish that.

I use a lot of modern caps before especially larger value caps, MIT , Solen caps etc.

My type A in the La Scala actually using MIT, it sounds good , but not like my oil caps. It is because we need only 13mf and 2mf in the type A that I can use the best oil caps, otherwise the size and price would be unaffordably.

Modern caps like Audionote and Jensen, I am using them. the 0.47mf 630V in the coupling of Jadis300B do the amazing job to improve further.

I may do a comparision later , but as the sound right now sound really good, the fact that they are of the same era Klipsch and WE make me fell like they are best couples.

At present I don't feel the need to change for a while.

And the significant improvement over the military is beyond doubt in the first few hours, The WAF is always low for klipsch, but my wife now turn on the system herself that did not happen in the past 10 years, she said woo!!!!

Try it, for those who has a doubt.

I have bought another set of all vitQ caps before I completed my WE collection,

I will try them on my La Scala, let you know the result, they are really cheap, 12X 2mf, 4x 1mf costs me 50US only.

Tubelion

Dear cut throat,

Glad to see your crossover, woo!!! beautiful.

The choice of wood does affect the sound a lot.How much does the wood cost you? My ebony board is more expensive than the transformer.

Solen is good in the neutrality, excellent price performance ratio,right?

Otherwise better quality parts from different brands have their signature in sound.

As I mentioned when the value of type A is so low, it is not too expensive to buy better parts, many high end speaker use Solen, it can't be wrong, but the value like 100mf give no other choice to high end caps. 13mf and 2mf give us freedom to use a bit more expensive ones if we can keep our jobs

Concerning oil caps or not, my initial experiment military oil caps against MIT, where military caps are so cheap, just a few dollars, oil caps won with a great margin. I am not talking about details or upper and lower end extension, it is much more harmony, you want to keep listen, another obvious advantage is the stage and 3D, oil caps is better.

The WE caps is another league right now.

My report is confined as being an SET 300b fans, the solid state fans just have to find out their way like protection etc.

I heard TCC from UK is good too, but I just can't collect enough of them, they are equally expensive with WE.

The tips of using oil caps in our DIY friend is using multiple together, preferably same value.

Try any oil caps with reasonable quality, let us know the result, but I think military grade and vitamine Q are the least you should try , as they are real cheap in these days. Forget the motor run, it is not fair to use it on audio.

Tubelion

Hello Randy,

Thanks , yes I will take care.

The sound is getting better, I have only half an hour so to hear music a day, it is a slow process.

I will make the all vit Q type A in my La Scala when thing settle a bit, will let you know the result, if it sounds good , it is a big bargain.

Good luck

Tubelion.