73 Cornwall's on ebay

markw

Yes...try the Heresy as the front center vs the Academy and see which you like better. I have Corns and 4 Heresys.

I think 7.1 with two Heresys in the rear would be great!

Are you on the DFW Klipsch Forum list?

I wonder how one of those vertical horns would be for center channel between two regular Corns with a screen above?

Yes...try the Heresy as the front center vs the Academy and see which you like better. I have Corns and 4 Heresys.

I think 7.1 with two Heresys in the rear would be great!

Are you on the DFW Klipsch Forum list?

I wonder how one of those vertical horns would be for center channel between two regular Corns with a screen above?

Congrats on your verticle Cornwall purchase! I've been in awe ever since '79, and I presume you will be too.

I too, would recommend keeping your Heresy's for your HT...try it out, they just might surprise you for center duty!

----------------

On 4/18/2003 12:02:56 PM triceratops wrote:

On 4/13/2003 8:37:04 PM Terry N. Cruse wrote:

...I was not aware that the vert horn placement had been designed to do anything other than lay on their sides...I am skeptical. Does anyone else have factory units with vert horns and risers on the short side?...I thought that I had seen them all. The CW with vert horns were designed to be placed long side down, making the horns horizontal. Anyone? Andy?

Terry-

I am not an authority on this one, but I think the vast majority of Cornwalls with vertical horns that also have risers have those risers mounted on the short side.

The long side risers are more the exception and are very rare.

It was felt that with Cornwalls, the horns have better dispersion characteristics when mounted vertically. This required the cabinets to be manufactured in two configurations and to ship and sell matched pairs together. This added to the cost of the Cornwalls and became an option in the 1960's rather than standard and later was discontinued entirely. As I understand it, when the vertical horns were an option, the Cornwall II was not meant to represent a "2" but was a diagramatic illustration of the side-by-side vertically mounted horns. These Cornwalls are especially sought after by Klipsch enthusiasts, who usually position them with the horns mounted vertically. You can also position these on their sides because it doesn't place the horns too low (as it does on the horizontal cabinets).

The vertical horn configuration was not done on the larger Klipsch speakers at the time due size and shape constraints, but they fit pretty neatly into the Cornwall format.

Best in horns,

Triceratops

----------------

Trice,

You have some valid points.

There must be Cornwall historians out there, and I hope that they will clarify this "chicken and egg" confusion.

I am not an authority etherand this reply is not to argue points of order, but to voice assumptions that I made in 1972 and still assume today. Artto's price sheet rang a few bells.

The first CW that I saw in the mid to late 60's was used as a center channel between two cornerhorns in a Klipsch catalog. I think that I remember(?)the horns being horz with ports on the floor in related photos. In '72 I ordered unfinished CW's in "preferred" vertical position.(see price sheet) I assumed that the preferred position related to ports on the floor with horz horns. The only drawings depecting vert horns show the long side of the box down, making the horns horz. See where I am going?

My CW's were shipped, I opened the boxes and discovered that the horns were placed vert to the long side of the box. I had ordered the other mod #, assumed that a mistake had been made, but they sounded great so I kept them.

If PWK thought that horns had better dispersion in the vertical alignment, and was limited by box size, why are Mod-H and LaS horns mounted horz. There is room in both.

Addressing production. The only changes or costs of matched vert horns would be to cut mirror image motor boards. Everything else is the same.

If I'm out of line, let me know guys.

Thanks,

tc

If you are considering a center as large as the Cornwall, you may want to give serious consideration to the use of a Belle as a front center. Its increased sensitivity and cosmetic appeal makes it a great candidate to anchor the front array with Cornwalls. The Belle also has a smaller horizontal footprint than a horizontally positioned Cornwall and is approximately 10.25" taller that a horizontally positioned Cornwall. IMO it is a great match for center duty with Cornwalls; providing it meets your planned layout or decor/scheme!

I had the priviledge of attending one of PWK's speaker seminars a few years after I purchased my Cornwalls. I asked him why my speakers had the horns mounted vertically and the newer ones had them horizontally. He replied that the original concept was to have the horns in the corner of the cabinet so that, no matter how the cabinets were oriented, you could have the tweeters and squawkers as high as possible. Then he noticed that very few people were setting the Cornwalls on their sides (vertical is "preferred" in their literature of the time) so he decided to put the horns in the middle and turn them 90 degrees. This way, he said the speaker could be used either in pairs or as a single center channel. More to the point, he would no longer have to keep left and right pairs together through construction, shipping and sales. As for the difference in dispersion, quoth PWK "There's not a dime's worth of difference." He added that, the bigger horns did have to go with the long axis horizontal, but the smaller ones could go either way.9.gif

----------------

On 4/20/2003 9:30:17 PM CaptnBob wrote:

I had the priviledge of attending one of PWK's speaker seminars a few years after I purchased my Cornwalls. I asked him why my speakers had the horns mounted vertically and the newer ones had them horizontally. He replied that the original concept was to have the horns in the corner of the cabinet so that, no matter how the cabinets were oriented, you could have the tweeters and squawkers as high as possible. Then he noticed that very few people were setting the Cornwalls on their sides (vertical is "preferred" in their literature of the time) so he decided to put the horns in the middle and turn them 90 degrees. This way, he said the speaker could be used either in pairs or as a single center channel. More to the point, he would no longer have to keep left and right pairs together through construction, shipping and sales. As for the difference in dispersion, quoth PWK "There's not a dime's worth of difference." He added that, the bigger horns did have to go with the long axis horizontal, but the smaller ones could go either way.
9.gif

----------------

Thanks Bob,

I assume that some of my assumptions were and are correct.

Was PWK also trying to keep the ports on the floor?

Regards,

Slammin tc

Thanks to all for the well wishes on the purchase of my "new" Cornwall's! I really appreciate having this support group available for my habit. 2.gif

I went and picked them up on Saturday afternoon. Thank goodness my son was around when I got home. Those monsters are a LOT bigger than I remember them being! I had forgotten how little they make the Heresy's seem. I fully expected my wife to pitch a fit about me bringing such huge speakers into the house, even though I have been warning her about the Cornwall's size for several years now. To my utter shock and dismay, she was very cool about the whole purchase--and the subsequent disruption of our den's furniture while I swapped them with the Heresy's. So far, she seems to dig 'em as much as I do, which is always a good sign. 2.gif

As I figured they would, these Cornwall sound great! They are every bit the speaker I remembered from my high school days when my best friend's dad owned the local stereo store, which was a Klipsch dealer. Their living room always had Khorns, LaScala's, and Cornwall's to show off for any potential clients. The Cornwall's were always my favorites, probably because I figured I'd never have the room or be able to afford the Khorns.

Last week, I mentioned that I had 4 Heresy's and an Academy in this room. What I failed to mention is that I, also, have 3 Heresy's in my bedroom. Since, then I've moved one of my Heresy's into the den to serve as the center channel speaker for the Cornwall's, and taken the Academy into the bedroom to be the center channel in there. This seems to be an ideal arrangement. It frees up some floor space in the bedroom (by getting the Heresy off the floor and the Academy on top of the television) and provides a much, much better timbre match for the Cornwall's in the den.

As was suggested by some of the respondent's to this thread, the idea of using the extra set of Heresy's as rear surrounds had crossed my mind. But, with the limited space left in the rear of our den, I simply won't be able to pull off that set-up. Besides, I have no doubt the WAF of the Cornwall's will plummet if I plop those Heresy's down in the walkway at the back of the room. She's being unbelievably tolerant and accepting of them right now. I don't dare mess with that. So, sadly, that means one pair of Heresy's is going to have to go my friend's house. Fortunately, I'll still be able to visit them...