FS: Lots of Klipsch

Bruinsrme

UPDATED

Hi Everyone,

Well there comes a time in everyones life where they have to do things for one reason or another.

But now is the time I am having to do something.

I have to sell my HT set up for personal reasons.

Here is the offerings;

$3100 $2600 (1pr) RF7 black, (2pr) RS7, (1) rc7

$2600 $2250(1pr) RF7 black, (1pr) RS7, (1) rc7

Shipping:

I will deliver up to 150 miles from Worcester MA or meet the buyer.

Other shipping can be arranged. I priced the shipping for the 7.1 and to Chicago is was around $200

Payment options can be discussed.

Thanks Scott

Before dumping the REF7 have you considered trying a $500 modified Scott 299b by Craig over in 2-channel for warming up 2-channel sound?

The Onyx Rockets you are looking at are on the laid-back side of neutral. Their Onyx Refernce series are more neutral and detailed and maybe a better fit for Klipsch fans. The Paradigm Studio/100 are more neutral as well with lower bass extension but Rocket owners seem to prefer 750's over the 100s. The Rockets are certainly not going to be harsh.

KJ

Is nothing sacred?3.gif

So the question is what were you doing there?

one of the major considerations is the family. The brightness of the klipsch is a little much for the them. To me it is worth a little sacrifice on my behalf to try something a little different so I can enjoy the HT with the family.

If I can't sell the Klipsch I may haveto look at alternatives.

Thanks for the post

scott

----------------

On 4/12/2003 7:26:01 PM bruinsrme wrote:

one of the major considerations is the family. The brightness of the klipsch is a little much for the them. To me it is worth a little sacrifice on my behalf to try something a little different so I can enjoy the HT with the family.

----------------

I can't sell my Klipsch. I am finding out these RF-7s sounds way to perfect for the type of music that I really like to listen to (Symphonic power/prog metal - such as Stratovarious, Kamelot, Symphony X, etc).

Well, I live to far away, plus I got all the speakers I can handle for now. Good luck, and hope you do find something that you and your family can enjoy together. Let us know what you ultimatly get - will be curious (Just, please not let it be Bose 6.gif).

I guess anyone that reads AVSForum (which probably is most of us on this Klipsch HT forum) has heard of Rockets since they are mentioned very frequently over there. From AVS I went to av123.com to check out the buzz. I have friends with Rockets. I think they are comparable (maybe not 100% equal) to the $3k list price European speakers in stores at half the price. Adding the savings on dipoles and a great center channel makes their system pricing very appealing. I would say there are many speakers inbetween Klipsch and Rockets and that these two brands are polarized in terms of bright and forward vs warm and laid back.

The Rockets are strong in HT but their Reference line is described as more neutral and potentially more appealing to audiophiles.

Those that love Klipsch often find the European speakers to be lifeless and dead. For them the Rockets probably aren't a good fit unless they want to have two very different sounds.

Klipsch music fans (many over on the 2-channel board) run tube pre-amps and amps (or integrated amps like the EICO and Scott). The Rega Planet CD and tube amplification are often perscribed to address the harshness of transitor amplification with Klipsch. Klipsch highlights issues with standard CD sound and mates fantastically with vinyl.

Many perceive Klipsch to color the sound with an emphasis on the highs and to some the sound is fatiguing or even harsh. I've heard the 49Txi with RF7 and I found the combo to be bright but I wouldn't say harsh except at the loudest levels the store would demo. As Kelly would say some solid state amplification can be "skull piercing" but with tube amplification Klipsch can produce a large soundstage with a "bloom" like no other.

CDs on DVD players can be harsh and the revealing Klipsch speakers make this more notable. External DACs, PCs with Exact Audio Copy software and nice sound cards like DAL's Card Deluxe, and quality CD players like the warm Rega Planet improve the digital sound.

The brightness is often appealling in demos but after extended listening if there is a harshness to the bright sound then listeners often become fatigued.

I might also add that now is a tough time to sell Klipsch Reference speakers with TWEETER dumping them at cost. They also seem to be available on-line at cheap prices vs the stores.

In case anyone is wondering...my avatar is from ancient Mesopotamia in recognition of current events.

One last thing...I lived in Worcester during college. WPI class of '85 (BSEE).

----------------

On 4/12/2003 7:26:01 PM bruinsrme wrote:

If I can't sell the Klipsch I may haveto look at alternatives.

----------------

Have you tried toning down the treble a little bit with an equilizer (or at least with the treble controls on your reciever) to remove some of the "brightness"? It may be worth trying that before doing something that you may in the long run, regret doing. You may find an acceptable setting to put the control while watching movies with the family, than put it back when it is only you. Just hate to see you have to spend/lose anymore money than you really should.

I have tried everything and the family walks away with their ears ringing. The volume is low and the treble all the way to the negative side and so on.

The Price of the speakers is about 700 lessthan you can get them at tweeter and tweeter NE doesn't have any RS7 or RF7 left in the inventory. We shall see what happens.

Thank you for the explanation, it was exactly what I am experiencing.

scott

too bad ur selling ur reference system bruins.... i agree with kjohnsonhp though - tweeter is going to make it a little difficult for u to sell ur speakers. Yesterday, I went to a tweeter in illinois and I found that the rf7 was only 1800 for the pair. they still had a few in their backroom.

Steeler,

That might be an option, but not until all other options are exhausted.

Pin,

Yes with tweeter unloading everything it will be tough but $3100 for the 7.1 setup seems to be decent price.

The RC7 and 1 pair of RS7 are about 6 months old and the RS7 and RF7 are less than 3 months old. Maybe 150 hours on them Max....

As an experiment before I sold all my Klipsch speakers I would run an outboard amplifier off that Pioneer receiver to see if it would mellow the sound. I have a Denon receiver running DBX amplifiers outboard and I have all Heritage speakers and it certainly isn't bright. My wife or friends have never complained about brightness. You would be suprised the difference better amplification would make.

----------------

On 4/13/2003 11:16:19 AM Frzninvt wrote:

As an experiment before I sold all my Klipsch speakers I would run an outboard amplifier off that Pioneer receiver to see if it would mellow the sound. I have a Denon receiver running DBX amplifiers outboard and I have all Heritage speakers and it certainly isn't bright. My wife or friends have never complained about brightness. You would be suprised the difference better amplification would make.

----------------

That is a good point. I am running mine directly from the Denon reciever itself and I don't think it is bright at all. I had numerous friends over to watch movies and none of them complained about brightness and nearly all of them liked the sound better than going to the actual movie theater (and there is one less than 1/2 mile from my place - a 15 screen one!)

Well, regardless of what you do, Scott, good luck and hope you find a satisfactory solution. Of course, in the end it all comes down to what you and your family wants. If, at the end, the Klipsch does not work out, so be it - that is why there are 1001 other speaker manufacturers out there with all of thier unique sound characteristics.

Please don't take any of above thinking we are all trying to dissuade you, just hopefully offering some alternatives before taking what is seen (at least by me) as a drastic action in selling off your entire HT suite and replacing it with something else in what could end up being a great expense to you and your family.

Damn dude... Sorry to hear about this. It must be a sad day for you. I would be interested in buying 1 RF7 from you, but that is all I would need is just 1 RF7. I want to replace my RC7 center channel and put it in back with my other rear and have all RF7s up front.

Let me know if you might be interested in that. 1.gif

Must go buy Rockets...Must go buy Rockets...Must go buy Rockets...No Lemmings here...but seriously, why? I have heard all the ear bleed theory before. I can't remember who, (maybe ears, maybe Dean)but they were always saying that the heritage were the bleeders and the RF7's were smooth. That was until they purchased some Heritage and the story did a complete 180. I have not heard that complaint about the RF's before although I have heard it about Klipsch in general. The RF's were definately more refined than the KLF's I purchased to the point of not even thinking of them as Klipsch. The RF's share the efficiency of the rest of the line, but that to me is where the similarities stop. You start buying different speaks, next will be amplification because "I remember my Klipsch were a lot louder and cleaner when the volume was at 9 o'clock". It's a vicious cycle.

BTW I was stationed in Groton from '86 to '89. Never went out on a boat as I was a corpsman working in a clinic by the gym. Hated the winters up there but the spring was as nice as anywhere I have been.

Ahhh yes good old rotten Groton. Corpsman, the IDC on my first boat told me I was faking the pain in the left side of my body to avoid going to sea. Hobbled along for 3 months then he was shocked to see it was a herniated disk c6-c7.

Sorry can't break up the family.

I have posted the speakers on ebay. Take a look on the original post and click on the ebay link.

Scott