CW Verts and Horz

----------------

On 4/14/2003 3:41:37 PM Good2BHome wrote:

Can you share the Serial number of the vertical Cornwall?

Respectfully,

mike

----------------

Mike,

They were decorator Mods and were veneered by the friend that I sold them too in 1974 so that I could buy the 1975 C W-O in 1975.

I bought them back in 1998.

# 2L811 & 2L812. Mod C-DR 15

Why do you ask?

Slammin 30 years

Terry

----------------

On 4/14/2003 10:18:06 PM jt1stcav wrote:

What a topsy-turvy world TNC lives in!
2.gif
How's this arrangment sound?

----------------

Jim,

My favorite description of bottom end in four CWs is "A boot in the Chest." Bolt down everything in the room! But honestly,I think this arrangment has faults. I think that if the four horns were in the same direction and on the same axis, that the mids & top end would be tighter and cleaner. I also believe that the ports should be coupled to the floor. Agree?

Don't get me wrong,they are very explosive, but could be alot better. I once bolted the ports together as a center channel with good results.

Regards,

Terry

----------------

On 4/15/2003 9:09:57 AM ShapeShifter wrote:

Adding some weight to the inverted Cornwall should increase the bass response a bit more. However, with a thunderous four Cornwall front...it would be hard to detect that less bit.

----------------

Shifter,

Good idea, but it would have to be lead. I have only about 2 feet from the top to the ceiling.I have considered screw jacks from ceiling to top of CW!

But then I would have to consider divorce as well.After 30 years my wife still cringes when she walks by.

Again, I think the best place for a port is coupled to the floor.

Slammin a little too tall.

tc

Mark,

They are 72' decorators and Cornwall Ones with flush panel motor boards. I sold them to a friend in '73 or '74 and he added a 3/4" strip to the front edge and veneer so they are different than yours. The only CWs that I have seen with grill cloth used velcro. Ask Andy horn builder, he will know. Although I think PWK tested fabric for acoustic transparency mine sound better with the grills off.

Good Luck,

Terry

----------------

On 4/15/2003 11:46:01 AM markw wrote:

How easy/hard was removing the grills? I have verts (old CW II's) and have been unsuccessful in removing them - and I sure don't want to risk attacking the sides and prying them out.

----------------

Mark, I just asked the same question a few days ago when I brought my "new" '73 Cornwalls home. Here is what Allan Songer has to say on the subject of the grill cloth regarding grill cloth on Cornwalls of this vintage:

--------------

4/1/2003 7:25:10 PM Allan Songer wrote:

The fabric is STAPLED to the front panel and it is NOT removeable in the way you're used to. You have to take the backs off of the speakers and remove ALL of the horns/drivers/X-over etc and then remove a TON of screws.

NOT WORTH IT IF YOU CAN AVOID IT!!!

--------------

FWIW, I believe he has "been there, done that"!