Klipschorns in the house!!!!

jhawk92

Ok folks, finally got the camera to work with the computer, and so I'll start posting pics of the K-horns. First, as per Tubelion's request, is one of the Type A x-over. Overall, the speakers are in great shape and I am very pleased to have them.

Since I'll have several pics to post later detailing the before and after oil process, is there an easier way to post several pics at once?

post-4465-13819246996992_thumb.jpg

And here is a close-up of the crossover. Anyone know what the extra parts are for on the tweeter connection points? If I remember my one class in circuits, I think those are resistors, but I may be wrong. Both x-overs have them, and I haven't messed with the units at all, except to clean off a bit of the dust.

Look for more pics soon as I resize them from the digital camera. No sense in uploading 1MB files.

post-4465-13819246997332_thumb.jpg

jhawk, those look like zener diodes to me. Someone did an "aftermarket" tweeter protection circuit.

Zeners act like big resistors until the voltage across them reaches a predefined limit, then they short out. It's a way to keep high powered amps from frying your tweeters.

You can, IMHO, safely remove them. Some have said they negatively impact the sound; I took them out for purity's sake.

Randy-

Thanks for the fast response. I think I may leave them in for a while, see how they sound, and maybe protect the tweeters from my Denon SS amp. However, I don't think I could get it up too high, since it would be pretty loud, but might be a good thing to leave in for now.

BTW, that was a great review on the Creek OBH-12 you had on audioadvisor. If I go with tube separates rather than something like the Scott, I may try and pick one of those units up.

Rob

Ron,

Congrats on the K-Horns. Now, you just need a seperate 2 channel room and some...nice...warm...tubes...

I saw the comment about how moving every 3 yrs in the AF hones your packing skills. Yeah, me too. AF moving us this month. I'm actually renting a U-haul trailer to take my Forte's and the rest of my stereo gear. I told my if I was trying to make money on a partial DIY move. Actually, I just want my gear in tow...

According to the dope from hope newsletter PWK started putting those zener diodes in as stock to protect the tweeters because the new higher watt SS amps wereblowing tweeters and causing waranty repairs at a freakish rate.(mid sixties)