chrometops

leok

deang and whatever happened to homeless:

Enough positive reference and fear that the world will run out, finally pushed me to purchase a pair of sylvania "chrometops" for the parafeed Moondogs. I picked up a pair of 60s RCAs at the same time.

The Sylvanias are in a class by themselves. I love them. I keep them with the RCA black plate 2A3s for special listening occasions. Thanks for the recommendations.

leok

This whole thing about chrometops/vs. side getters etc. has always amused me. The "chrome" spot/top is merely the result of the maker using the getter to draw off any spare bits of emission caused by residual impurities in the tube in initial use. The reality is that the flash will occur in the first few seconds of use and from that point onward has no effect on the operation of the tube.

I see audio freaks getting anal about whether the chrome spot is at the top of the tube or whether it is on the left side of the key or on the right ! That getter flash is nothing more than the effect of a little internal housekeeping as designed by the tube maker. The position of that chromium looking spot says NOTHING about the potential sound of a tube. This is less a quality issue than whether one prefers white bathroom fixtures over turquoise !

The getter flash occurs within the first few seconds of a tube's life and has no discernible impact from that moment onward.

It is possible that the position of the getter flash might be used to help identify the actual maker of a tube and should a user have a preference for tubes made by that maker then the user might prefer it over another but the actual position of the getter flash has no impact on the performance of the tube. In other word chrometop does not in and of itself have any special significance other than perhaps assist in the identification of the maker. That information might concievably be of value if one prefers GE over RCA for example.

Hi Leo, still here -- lurking more -- posting less. Tired.

Good info Lynn, thanks.

"In other words, "chrometop" does not in and of itself have any special significance other than perhaps assist in the identification of the maker."

Well yes, that's it exactly. Who wants to go around saying, "Sure love those Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's". It's cooler to say, "Got me some Chrometops dude!"1.gif

A "chrome top can be many different Sylvania tubes, with many different colors and types of base and printing. Some examples, but not all, are;

6SN7W Sylvania "crome top" 1940's (metal base and black base)

6SN7GT/GTB/WGT/WGTA Sylvania "chrome top" 1940's-1950's.

A lot of choices, a lot of different prices.

Klipsch out.

PS.I feel every listening session is a special occassion, so I play my favorite tubes all the time. I just try to keep an eye out for any chance to pick up another pair as replacements at a good price.

Like these?

6SN7GTB Syl Chrome.jpg

6SN7GTB Sylvania "Chrome Top"

6SN7 Rath Chrome.jpg

6SN7GTB Raytheon "Tall Chrome Top"

Both sound pretty good. In fact, the Sylvania's might be the best sounding out of all my 6SN7's. Including various VT-231's and other "rare" 6SN7's.

Regards,

Chris

Dean,

Remember the motto of the Boy Scouts......be prepared! I have an extra as replacement of every type of tube I use except those harder to find GZ37's.

As for 6SN7s, I've yet to find a reasonably priced matched pair of vintage "Chrome tops", but I'm still looking. I'm afraid to state my 6SN7 preference in public for fear of them drying up, but they are not American.

Klipsch out.