Long term Klipsh fan... thinking of k-horns

Craighorn

I have a 7.1 channel surround system using Belles as the mains and 4 RB-5 surrounds...KLF-7 center. The Receiver is the Denon 5800...with SVS subs ( the only reasonable priced subs which "keep up" with the Belles ).

My two channel system consists of AMC tube gear with a pair of 1985 vintage Cornwalls... would going to k-horns be a nice step up ? Or should I keep the Cornwalls ?

Needless to say.. we love Klipsch...

Craig,

I think it is a matter of Need over Want. Are you happy with your present set up? Or is this an emotional Want situation? Do you also have the extra room for a larger speaker? (devils advocate)......

You could go ahead and get them, and give/sell Me your CW's.........LOL

Sorry I couldn't be more help.9.gif

Get the Khorns. I have a pair of CWII's and would trade for a pair of Khorns in a NY minute if I had the room. I feel my LaSclas are an improvement over the CW's and the Khorns are suppose to be better even than that. Then sell Bill those Cornwalls as he has just been bitten by the upgrade bug.

Well yeah, I think the 'right' K-horns would be a significant step up. Of the speakers in the Heritage line -- the Cornwall was PWK design of compromises. The Cornwall, with some work -- is a wonderful speaker, but not without it's limits.

This really comes down to room size, musical tastes, average listening levels, etc.

You might have to do a little homework though, as all K-horns aren't created equal. Of course, a brand new pair would really be cool -- if you can afford them (I know I can't).

To be honest, I'm surprised you haven't moved the Belles into the 2-Channel System, and the Cornwalls into the HT system, as the Cornwall's sensitivity rating would match up well with the RB-5's, and the 2-channel setup would benefit from the horn loaded bass of the Belles. With corner/wall loading -- the Belles will play low enough for 99% of anything you would play on that system.

Thanks for the replies guys... The cornwalls do not meet with my wife's approval in the theater room... or I would have tried that.

Bill... Where do you live ? The cornwalls are in great shape.. They are light oak ( not white... more light golden oak ) and have the beige cane grills... maybe we can do something...

It is definitely a want item... not a need

Does anyone know where I can get a pair of new k-horns in clear oak ?

Craighorn - Let me know if you want to sell your corns. I'm in MD and while I dont know how far you are, PA is right around the corner. Hard to find someone selling heritage speakers within driving distance. Shipping's a major hassle for those beasts. Thanks, Gary

Once you know you have the money and the space for the KHorns it becomes a no brainer. I found the bass much more impressive and the overall sound seems bigger. KHorns don't fit too many rooms and they are notably more expensive then Cornwalls. For you it sounds like congratulations are in order.

I would love to have KHorns in the front, Belle for center, screen above the Belle and more Heritage in the rear. I wasn't too happy with the timbre match between the KLF C7 and my Cornwalls so I sold it for a pair of Heresys (front and rear centers).

dean, cornwall were a speaker of compromise???? ohhh, my, heart,agggghhhh, what does that mean? i think you have started a whole new topic here? i have the lascalla and cornwall, and i prefere the cornwall, i cant get enough of them as a matter of fact, but i would love a pair of cornerhorns, but not at the expense of my corns, i would just get rid of my couch12.gif

Ditto! I would never sell my Cornwalls. Of course, purchasing the Klipschorn is a no-brainer...someday I will, and use the Khorn for a high-end all-tube stereo-only system, and my Cornwalls will become part of an all-Heritage HT system (using Heresys for center and surround duty).