Cornwall E-Bay Help

Moit

A couple of points:

1.) The serial numbers he lists are not quite correct. He lists them as 16SS74 and 16SS75. The numbers should be 16S574 and 16S575. He is correct in dating them as 1978 models.

2.) If you decide to go after these you might want to try and find out how they were used in the theatre. If they were used for the preshow and intermission music,( as I believe most likely ), then I wouldn't be concerned but if they were used as the theatre's primary front stage speakers I would be inclined to be a little leery of them as they will have been worked damned hard over a long period of time. It would likely be worth an exchange of emails with the seller to try and get an answer to that concern.

Are you close enough to pick them up? If so, you should go listen to them. Cornwalls can sound good to someone even with a blown tweeter. If not, you will also have to take shipping costs into account. You need to be willing to put a nice finish on them if that is important to you (sanding, staining, etc.). I don't know the availability of grills either. I would assume you could find one eventually. I guess it depends on how low they stay. Remember, you can usually find a good pair with a good finish or veneer and both grills for between $700 - $900 in your area if you are patient enough to wait a little while.

Thanks for your input on these, you all bring up some very valid points. Unfortunatelly I do not live near Miami, more like Baltimore. I have been looking for about a year now, I'm not really in a hurry I just want a great bargin. I work in distribution/logistics for a large retailer, If I stay near major citys, shipping could be free. I will send the seller an message and see if he knows anymore about them.

I have been following MOONS thread, I persoanlly enjoy getting by hands into the product and giving them a personal touch. I would just like to know what I was getting into before hand. $300.00 for what MOON has experienced and learned would be worth it to me.

Thanks again,

Moit

----------------

On 4/26/2003 10:01:36 AM garymd wrote:

MOIT - If you live near Baltimore, there have been more than a couple pairs within driving distance over the past month or so. I almost bought one of them. Keep looking on this forum and on ebay. You'll find yours soon enough.

----------------

This is a very good point. I bid a at least 4 different pairs of Heresys, but lost them each time because I was not willing to pay an average of $400 + shipping, bringing it to over $500. I waited, & within a month, a pair came up local & I got them for $405, plus I got to hear them before I handed over the cash.

Here is a question answer e-mail from me to the seller.

The Respoonse

All of our equipment comes from Cinema Theaters (Movie Theaters). visit

our page at www.cinemaequip.com However, all the equipment on our page

is new most of our sells is from Used equipment. As far as history goes

i know we took them out from a theater in the 80's and since then have

been sitting in our warehouse. If the tweater were to be blown out,

there is various places online that sell parts for these speakers. I dont

think the tweater can be blown out though these speakears sound amazing

and can push alot of watts.

My Message

Do you know what the application was in the theater?

Are you familiar with these speakers?

Ofter a tweeter can be blown and the speaker still sound OK? Please

dont't take offense to that question I am very interested and just what

to know all I can.

Thank You

--------------------

Has anyone dealt with this bunch before? I am probably going to pass, but if I could get them for $350.00 and use my sources to get free shipping I may still try it. If anything they could be nice parts for any future set I may get.

Moit

Well, either congratulate me or spank me, I am the winner of the auction that started this thread.

I hope I haven't gotten screwed, I don't see how I could have at $462.00 for a (supposedly) functioning pair of C'walls. What do you folks think? Be kind, I'm looking for affirmation here.

I have exchanged several e-mails with the guy that has them and found out that 1)he has no problem letting me listen to them before I pick them up and 2)the company seems reputable having been the cinema supply business for over 25 years.

If all goes well I'll be needing some help find the missing grill or figuring out how to make one. I understand that grill cloth and logo's are available from Klipsch.

Now I'm going to open myself up for a beating. Whats the worse that could happen? I vaguely remember uttering that statement just before winding the spring on my mother-in-law's new garage door, That didn't go well at all. They were able to re-attach the fingers, however.

Tony - You'll be happy as a pig in.... well you know how it goes. There is really no down side to your purchase at that price if they work (which they obviously do). Grills are easy to make and finishing your own speakers the way you like can be more satisfying sometimes also. Congrats and let us know how they sound when you get them home.

You made a great purchase!

These look like they are in the same condition as my rear channel Heresy's were in when I got them. When the price is right, a little work to clean them is well worth it. Now you can enjoy making them match your room.

Man Oh man! This thing just keeps getting better.

The seller just called me with a freight quote.

Get this, $72.00 freight from Miami to Summerville, SC (1200 mile round trip) via LTL truck and only $10.00 to crate and palletize 'em!

9.gif9.gif9.gif

I was expecting $200.00 +/-.

I guess they get a substantial discount on freight thru the carrier.

I'll keep you folks posted as to how we progress.

Oh, thanks for the affirmations. You guys are making my wife feel alot better.

My H/T:

'78 Cornwalls(heh, heh, heh) in front

'81 Heresys in the back

'82 Heresy in the center

2 Yamaha YST 160 subs

Yamaha HTR-5280 Driving 'em

I've always wanted to do that