La Scalas - Just bought an found them to be blown. Help please!

Thanks for any info you all can provide for me.

I just purchased a pair of 1970s era La Scalas that I was assured were in working order. I bring them home to find that one tweeter isn't working at all and one of the woofers is blown.

I am looking for the quality sound that I've come to expect from such speakers and would like to replace these defective or worn out parts. I welcome all advice and suggestions.

I suppose I'd prefer to use Klipsch parts, especially for the tweeters since these are the vintage metal ones but what about the woofers? At $250 a pop for a woofer is a bit more than I'd like to spend. Are there any quality alternatives that would be less expensive?

What about the tweeter? Are there metal tweeters still available? The squakers seem to be in good shape and the one remaining tweeter sounds great.

Ok I've pretty well covered it. Just bummed out at this point.

Bottom line I need 2 woofers and one tweeter.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

e-mail: advertiser@hushmail.com

Tony---Yeah, there's lots of info here about fixing the tweeters, I understand that new diaphragms can be had for about $20 each from prosound dealers (ElectroVoice T-35 diaphragm)

The woofers are cheap, only about $100 each from Klipsch last I heard. Do you need one or two, it's not clear.

On 5/2/2003 1:45:19 AM ricktate wrote:

>The woofers should be less than 250.00 each even from Klipsch...

That's good to hear. I was told these had just been reconed. Even muddy I can tell that these have a big sound stage. Can't wait to get them back to spec.

>the tweeter can be fixed with a kit....even complete directions on here to >do it on this board.Just ask and you shall be helped,,,,welcome ....Rick

Thanks Rick. Thought for a while there I had bought into a financial black hole but I now see great listening times ahead! Will search for the tweeter kit info.

Thank you!

On 5/2/2003 2:03:37 AM TBrennan wrote:

>Tony---Yeah, there's lots of info here about fixing the tweeters, I >understand that new diaphragms can be had for about $20 each from prosound >dealers (ElectroVoice T-35 diaphragm)

Life is getting better every minute! ;) This sounds very encouraging.

>The woofers are cheap, only about $100 each from Klipsch last I heard. Do >you need one or two, it's not clear.

Only $100? If this is the case then I'll replace both and be done with that portion of the overhaul. Would rather replace both and know that I have two equally great (and new) sounding woofers.

Hope I don't sound lazy but is there a link on the Klipsch website for heritage parts or do I need to call them?

Thanks again for your words of encouragement.

These speakers had been in a local college hang out for some 25 years. I remember eyeing them when I was in college and nursing school (man am I old!) and longed for the day I would be able to own a pair. Kinda of strange really that I have the very pair I first eyed 25 years ago. Not only are they Klipsch La Scalas but they have a local history and "personality" to them. lol.

In any event I'm far less stressed about my purchase after reading yours and the previous post. Thought I had made a mistake but appears that I've made a good investment. (Paid $800 for the pair.)

Thanks again for your assistance!

Regards,

Tony

Tony,

I can well imagine being bummed out to get the La Scalas and find out some elements are blown. I know a buy who has the diaphragm parts to purchase, could repair the tweeter outright by shipping it to him. Let me know if you'd like to contact him.

Dee

On 5/2/2003 10:41:23 AM dbflash wrote:

>Same thing happened to me with a pair of Cornwalls. Both tweeters were >blown. If the Tweeters are K77 and not K77M than call Simply Speakers.

>They can also repair your woofers. http://www.simplyspeakers.com/

>They do good work. I think I would get the originals repaired instead of >getting newer models.

>Danny

I called Klipsch and was told that the K33 is the replacement woofer for these speakers as determined by the Klipsch engineers. The originals have been repaired twice already. I was going to order 2 of the K33s until I read your post. Thought it would be best to just replace them with new drivers.

But you're saying I should have the ones I have now repaired instead? Is this a situation of sonics? I want them sounding like I know they can sound. Would like to keep them original but wouldn't mind just replacing the woofers since these have been in combat (local bar) for 25 years.

Awaiting your answer.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Tony,

I would call them and ask how much they would cost to recone the woofers you have. If it cheaper to get them reconed that is what I would do.

They can not work on K77M tweeters.

I don't think they are going to sound any better than the new ones or vice versa.

Tell them exactly what they are doing or not doing. They will tell you over the phone if they can be repaired or not.

Danny

----------------

Just notice you are from the Gulf Coast.

Wondering where and do you ever get up to Bham?

Danny

----------------

I'm currently in the Mobile area but PLEASE don't hold that against me. I grew up in Atlanta and have traveled the world. I consider my current stay in pergatory, er ... Mobile to be temporary.

Rarely get up to Birmingham but I do travel to Atlanta once or twice a month on business. However, if there's a concert up your way that would interest me I could be persuaded to come up that way.

I bought the two dvd set of Widespread Panic Live at Oak Mountain. Guess that's near you isn't it?

Regards,

Tony

----------------

On 5/2/2003 3:27:09 PM dbflash wrote:

They can not work on K77M tweeters.

----------------

Why not? They have the exact same diaphragm, just a slightly different support bracket.... Give them a call, I bought my repair parts from them did the repair myself:

Step-by-Step Diaphragm Replacement for the K-77 Tweeter

http://www3.sympatico.ca/bonaz/Klipsch/K77-diaphram/K77-diaphram.htm

Haven't noticed any sonic difference between my two tweeters ...

9.gif