KG 5.5 Upgrade?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately, I still have the KV-2.15.gif

I did think about having a custom enclosure made for the drivers of one of my spare KGs, but I'm afraid that would still be too heavy for my Pioneer RPTV. I would set it in front of, and just below, the screen but I don't really have the room for that big of a center. Even if I had the room, my friend I considered to do it is MIA for a while.

I have thought of just going with a RC-7, Academy, or a KV-4 and make due until I can get a front projector setup.

----------------

On 12/16/2003 4:05:48 PM Yesfan70 wrote:

I did think about having a custom enclosure made for the drivers of one of my spare KGs, but I'm afraid that would still be too heavy for my Pioneer RPTV. I would set it in front of, and just below, the screen but I don't really have the room for that big of a center. Even if I had the room, my friend I considered to do it is MIA for a while.

I have thought of just going with a RC-7, Academy, or a KV-4 and make due until I can get a front projector setup.

----------------

Be aware the strong magnets in the woofers (unless shielded) would really wreak havoc with your convergence if you placed a custom center in front of or below your RPTV. You are correct that when you admit your RPTV wasn't made to handle that kind of weight, but maybe you could consider making a shelf (mounted to the wall behind your TV) that extended forward to hold the speaker above your TV. Another idea would be to have some custom metal-work done. Imagine a metal upside-down U (with the rounded part of the U flat) object placed around your TV so as to give you a supported shelf above you TV that doesn't put any weight on your TV. Done correctly it could be made to look stylish and yet be very effective and transfering the weight of a heavy custom center channel speaker to the floor.

I would caution you against wasting your money on a RC-7, Academy, or KV-4. Especially when I have a lone KG4.2 sale that would be a very good match (and a fraction on what you would spend on any of those). And I am not just saying that because I have the KG4.2 for sale, if you really want a better center speaker (than you have now) that is still small/light then look for a KV-3 on eBay.

The K-90-K tweeter in KLFC-7 (and KT-LCR for that matter) seem to use a similar horn lens (or maybe the same one) as the K-85-K tweeter in the KG5.5s -- but it is very likely the tweeters use different motors so therefore they will have a different sound. BTW, motor is another name for the magnet. The KV-3 is the best match available if you are looking for a off-the-shelf (pre-made) speaker. If you have the room and/or are willing to do some custom work then using a KG4.2, KG4.5, KG5.2, or KG5.5 would be far superior. All those speakers use the same K-85-K horn tweeter.