Recording vinyl LP to CD

But this still leaves out that he has no TT. Many of the folks here, Mallett in particular, would also recommend using an expander when converting to digital. THis will give back a little of the dynamic range lost when putting the tracks to vinyl. A good sound card is essential.

I loved Tarkio Road, although, as Dee points out, it has 'One toke over the line' on it. I think I also got 'Shake of the Devil' later. My wife and I saw B&S in Memphis in the '70s, with the Guess Who as opening act. What a strange combination. The Guess Who was awful, B&S was really good, with just the two of them on stage.

Dee, maybe you have found these already:

http://brewerandshipley.com/index.html (official site & newer CD's available)

http://members.tripod.com/~DesotoJoe1/index-8.html (fan site)

Brings back some old memories. I also had 'Weeds'

Cheers,

Marvel

Marvel,

Thanks. Ended up sending it off to someone I ran across advertising on the net. Can't remember, at this moment, who did it for me now, but the transfer sounded pretty good. It would be interesting to do it again and see if the "expander" would improve the sound.

• 1 month later...

DaddyDee,

If you need to burn more I have the table to do it properly and am in LR. I have a burner in my PC. All we need is some software (maybe my burning software can do a good - it's NTI and so far I haven't had near the tropuble with it that I have had with Roxio & Nero) AND a long piece of coax AND a decent sound card.

Since you extended the offer to listen to the K-horns, I can extend an offer to hear a good 'table (CAUTION! you may not like CD's as well after hearing it!)

RichinLR,

That would be nice to bring the TT and some vinyl when you come over for the Khorn session. I haven't listened to vinyl much since 1984 when I got my first CD player. Finally gave away my TT in 1992.

JJK,

Yep Amazon is a great source for CD's. Often their used resellers have prices that beat Ebay. However, this project was about a particular LP that was never re-released on CD.

Thanks.

DaddyDee,

I could bring the TT along but that raises another issue - it's got a low output moving coil cartridge (standard phono input won't do) and I have one of the finest MC stages ever made in Electro preamp. Which means I need to bring the preamp along...

• 2 months later...

You can get a TT on e-bay. Plug it into your preamp and plug the preamp into your computer...I use windows xp. Buy a copy of MAGIX audio cleaning lab. It's $50-99 dollars and made in Germany. Use Magix ACL to load the record to the computer. You then can clean it's sound up and enhance it's sound to your heart's content with Magix ACL. Then burn it to a CD. I have done this many times and they sound much better than the original....especially if the original has clicks and pops and other noise.

I use a crummy Kenwood 1985 linear tracking turntable with an Audio Technica

cartrige. Boost up the mag cartridge signal with a Radio Shack 4 channel mixer. Then run it thru a JVC JX-S700 selector to the computer with Sony Sound Forge 7.0a at a level of about 8db below clipping. Then I run the Click and Crackle remover maybe twice sometimes and maybe more on certain selected areas, then make sure there are no clipped peaks. Raise the level to maybe 1 db below clipping on each channel. If the bass or treble is lacking I have the choice of three different equalizers in Forge and can adjust for base, mid range and treble on the fly. Then recheck for clipping and if there is clipping use the clip peak restoration tool. Sometimes there are some very humoungous pops which I highlight out after expanding the timeline then cut out. The cutout is undetectable by the human ear. Sometimes one channel is messed up so then I use the good channel as a replacement for the bad channel and no one can tell the difference. Sometimes if the record is off center on the hole you will pick up a lot of wow and with a lot of work this can be somewhat repaired with pitch changes on highlighted areas on the fly. If there is a lot of hiss the noise reduction filter works miracles. The record must be played thru one time prior to recording if it is older and warn. If your really good you can use Sony Acid Pro bass and Drum notes and augment the bass and drum tracks in Acid Pro. This will give it the huge increase in bass and trebble presence as a cd disc. And while your at it you can render it out to Dolby AC-5.1. Anyway when I get done with the final recordings they are extremely clean and juiced up. Bottom line is you have got to have the stuff to do this.

JJK