Got my theater put back together yesterday. I love my RF7s

m00n

----------------

On 5/12/2003 5:48:05 AM dndphishin wrote:

If one had the luxury of 2 multichannel systems, one for movies and one for music, the argument could be made that WDST could be used for the movies, and monopoles all around could be used in the music system. Since that's not realistic here, I chose the all monopole, since it seems to give the best overall combined performance in both areas.

----------------

That, fortunatly, is a luxury that I do have - at least the luxury of having two pairs of surrounds. I have the WDST style (RS-7s) and the full-range monopole styple (RF-5) and I can switch between them. That is definitly one very nice feature of the Denon. In fact, it says right in the instructions why this feature is there - so you can setup WDST for movies and monopoles for music. This is a feature that I definitly hope I can keep if and when I upgrade my reciever in the future.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"In a 2 channel system, image is created - the ability to pick out the instruments in space. A vocalist that sounds like she is between those two speakers is a desired and created illusion that occurs from those two speakers working together. If you unplug one speaker, away goes that illusion."

You just don't get it. You are saying that 2 speakers create an illusion. Do you use 2 speakers each for left and right surround purposes?

Just as I plainly suggested above, if you use one speaker, either left or right only in a 2 channel setup, your soundstage/imaging collapses. The sound you hear becomes directional, coming from the one monopole speaker that you are using. Just as it does when you use one single monopole for left or right surround purposes.

The 'illusion' you speak of created by 2 speakers is more akin to the 'illusion' created by WDST speakers than that created by one single monopole.

Everyone knows that monopoles are suggested for multi-channel music. Where have you been? Many, if not most, receiver manufacturers build in the ability to use 2 different pairs of surround speakers just for this purpose.

In the majority of home audio situations, a large center is impractical. In many cases where people do use a matching large center speaker, timbre matching becomes an issue because of placement/boundries. Often, when set 'large' in your receiver's bass management, a large center speaker loses intelligibility. Hence the recommendation to set the center small and allow the subwoofer to handle the non-directional bass.

Much more information is readily available to anyone who cares o inform themselves rather than listen to myself or anyone else here. I encourage everyone to do just that and arrive at their own conclusion/opinion rather than simply mouth that which an uninformed/misinformed person may repeatedly post here.

Good luck to all!

Keith

----------------

On 5/12/2003 11:29:36 AM talktoKeith wrote:

Often, when set 'large' in your receiver's bass management, a large center speaker loses intelligibility. Hence the recommendation to set the center small and allow the subwoofer to handle the non-directional bass.

Keith

----------------

I still have not had a chance to try this. But plan on doing so as SOON as possible.

Dean G-YES, i have heard 'surround effects' and 'center channel' sound come from a well-placed pair of klf-30's in a great environment condusive to this effect. it does not sound the same, or imho, as good as a good surround system, but i think i get your point.

eagles-7 bridges road sounds really good in 5.1 dts,and i am using ksp-s6 surrounds in my system(klf-30 front,c-7 center(to be replaced w/a klf-20 one fine day),i beleive their position(ksp-s6's)relative to my sweet spot, as well as the somewhat acoustically 'soft' material that the 'reflective(rear-half)'part of the speakers face helps.

speaking of which---the 'sweet spot'

in a listening room, it may be a single chair, or the middle of the couch; while in a home theater environment, you may want to share the sweet spot with others in the room, so while maybe not quite as sweet as 2-ch.,at least you can share w/family and friends without playing musical chairs-so to speak3.gif

avman.