How can you tell if a speaker needs refurbishing

I've got some Forte's from the 80's and just set them back up in a 2-channel system. I was wondering if the sound or the components inside degrade over time and how much. They still sound great but I havn't got my 2-channel system finished yet so I'm witholding my final judgement on them.

Is this one of those things where if you can't notice any problems don't go looking for them?

-David

If you rebuild all the drivers and replace all the crossover components and they don't sound any better, they didn't need any work :)

I have recently replaced squawker diaphragms on my old heresy set. The old ones were functional, but, the new ones are superb.

Now I am breaking in new woofers. Lambda SBP12 from Nick McKinney. The original drivers had been replaced by ElectraVoice 12W. The new ones are very fine.

I just use my ears to tell me if I am making progress. Technology is just what I use to get the sound I love.

Listen and judge for yourself. No rules ;)

if your bank account has recovered from your last equipment purchase...seriously though, I think "if it works don't fix it" if you are happy with the music coming out of your system now, then leave it alone...now if you have some nagging wish list of things you would like to improve in the sound eminating from your system...jot them down..."clearer cymbal sound", "lower and stronger bass", etc. and with those items listed you can then begin the process of decidiing how best to achieve those changes, speakers, electronics, upgrades, swaps...regards, tony

They sound pretty good. I was remembering I had some Advents from the 70's and after about 10 years the rubber/foam around the woofer literally disentigrated. I wondered if this was a common issue with other speakers because if the deterioration was slow, it wouldn't be noticeable, and then I would think there'd be some air leakage impacting performance.

David

Unless the driver is physically damaged where you see a tear, or the speaker does not make any sound, you do not have to replace them.

Take care of your speakers and your grandchildren will be asking the same question 60-70 years from now.

And you know what, they will still sound as good as the day you brought them home.

JM