Cornwall II sale

dodger

Greetings:

I have a set of Cornwall IIs - Walnut

on risers, S/Ns 8828306, 8828307. Black detachable grille w/copper logo.

No damage, excellent shape. Never driven to clipping or distortion.

May put up for sale in three (3) weeks. Will only post here - ant good homes.

Need idea on fair price, will have to be picked up in Rochester - near Rt. 390.

Contact me via email. I will guarantee condition. Am getting RF7s and some tube gear. No boxes for speakers.

Sorry for not musch contact, took fall head first received "tympatic Concussion." Dizzy, hard to concentrate on typing. Will clear - always somewhat dizzy anyway.

Johnny DB and Edmond (sp? sorry if wrong) picked up LaScalas - Thanks to both.

Any ideas on price - will ONLY list here on Board. Want good homes.

Be posting/returning email when I can see better. Thanks for kind words about LaScalas and health.

dodger1.gif

Oh yeah Dodger, your other pair of La Scalas are sold! Don't fret, I'll get up there. How much are you wanting for the Cornwalls? I might be interested in those, too. 3.gif If I don't buy 'em; I can bring my digital camera up with me, take some photos for you, and post them on this forum. I know you have webTV so that would help a lot in selling. I'll be in touch.

Greetings:

I'm trading to Reference due to space.

I have a house that's about 1000 sq. ft., and after 25 years I have some other interests that will take up room.

I am ONLY listing them on this board, as I want them to go to those that would appreciate them.

And yes I do have WEbTV, I spent many hours on a computer at our local PD so I appreciate that offer of photographing the Cornwalls.

As for price, I am letting this board Partially determine that.

After the experience of selling the LaScalas, I am giving more time for serious buyers to make contact.

I don't wish to debate Heritage vs Reference. That has been done.

I've spent my time and money being on the road or in studio, I've collected

quite a bit. Now I'm making room and finding out who the serious buyer is - not the highest bid necessessarily. If there are disbelievers, I am sorry.

Thank You All. And I thank those driving 8 hours one way to buy the LaScalas.

Dodger, I may be interested in your Cornwalls, if you decide to sell. I live in Toronto, so I could come to pick them up without too much trouble.

I've just ordered a fairly extensive (or should I say expensive) McIntosh system. I currently have 3 La Scalas up front and 3 Heresy IIs for my surrounds. I've been using an Onkyo receiver for a while, and to tell you the truth, it sounded pretty darn good. I've always been interested in Mac stuff, and I recently had the opportunity to buy Mac's DVD player, Pre-Pro, and SS amps, for a system that would satisfy just about any rational individual. However, I guess you can't classify me as such. I've also been lusting after the Mac tube pre-amp and amp. Guess what. I ordered them too. Must be some sort of mid-life phenemenon.

In any case, all this stuff should be arriving over the next little while. A cabinet maker I know will be making some equipment stands for us. We have a 40" Sony XBR TV (>300lbs!) which will sit on top of the center-channel La Scala. This will be flanked by equipment racks to hold the HT eqipment on one side and the stereo stuff on the other (as well as shelves for DVDs, etc). The R & L La Scalas will just barely fit in beside these stands.

My problem is: How do I set things up such that outputs from both the HT SS amp and the Stereo tube amp be fed to the R & L mains? Having to crawl in behind and disconnect/reconnect the different speaker cables is clearly not an option. In addition, the La Scala's bass response isn't that great. For HT, the sub rounds out the bottom nicely. For stereo however, I think that I would have to rout the pre-amp's out through my sub's outboard X-over before the signal reaches the power amp. This too is something that I'm not too enthusiastic about. I'm paying a small fortune for a premium quality pre-amp/amp. Why should the signal have to pass through a good (but probably not great) component?

Therefore, a pair of Cornwalls makes good sense. The bass response should be better than with the La Scalas. Also, from what I've read, it appears that Cornwalls love tube amps. One possible problem is that (at least for now) the Cornwalls will have to be placed on top of my La Scalas, in the same room as the HT system. They will be sitting 3 feet 'in the air'. I'll have to place them upside down in order to have the mid- and high frequency horns closest to ear level. The woofer and the reflex ports will be about 6' up. This may affect their bass response. I presume that bass in Cornwalls is accentuated by the fact that the reflex ports are normally almost at floor level.

Do the risers on your Cornwalls come off? The bottom of the speakers would be on top in my set-up. If there are screw holes, scratches, etc. on the bottom surface, your eye-level would have to be over 6' to see them, so I guess it's not much of a problem.

Dodger, please let me know if you ever decide to sell!

Dan Marcuzzi

Dodger,

See LEOK and DEANG for RF-7 crossover mods.

Shame is most Audio shops NEVER use RF-7 with tubes in a demo.

It is almost always in some flagship HT SS rig. Bone crushing and expensive but not necessarily musical.

I support your foray into the RF-7.

What are you doing with the pair of Chorus?

Hey Dodger!

What gives! We coulda made a deal for your whole kit! I just got a pair of Heresy rears off of ebay and also a Harman Kardon AVR500 HT receiver! I now need a center. Could done it all in one trip!

Any one want to split Dodger's Pair of Cornwalls for use as a center?

Edmond

Montreal

Danno,

You can either use a source A/B switch or you can hook both sources to the speakers, just be careful not to have both sources on at the same time. That's how I have my Khorns hooked up; to HTR and a integrated tube amp. I also think that the LaScalas have more bass than the Cornwalls.

Edmond,

Dodger wouldn't give me a price on the Cornwalls either while I was there. He must want to keep them a bit more. Unfortunately, in my haste to get back, I forgot to take any pics of the Cornwalls. 7.gif They look nice though.

----------------

On 5/12/2003 9:11:13 AM Johnny dB wrote:

I also think that the LaScalas have more bass than the Cornwalls.

----------------

Although the LaScala have a lot of mid bass, they roll-off pretty early and I think Danno was referring to this lack of bass extension.

Danno, the Cornwalls do play quite a bit lower but you are correct in assuming that the port (and the cabinet) use the floor for bass reinforcement. I have never listened to my Cornwalls upside down and on stands 2.gif but both the Heresys on stands and the LaScala on casters will have very noticable reduced bass extension... so I think it's safe to assume the Cornwall will behave "similarly".

Rob.

----------------

On 5/8/2003 3:30:51 PM dodger wrote:

Greetings:

I have a set of Cornwall IIs - Walnut

on risers, S/Ns 8828306, 8828307. Black detachable grille w/copper logo.

No damage, excellent shape. Never driven to clipping or distortion.

May put up for sale in three (3) weeks. Will only post here - ant good homes.

Need idea on fair price, will have to be picked up in Rochester - near Rt. 390.

Contact me via email. I will guarantee condition. Am getting RF7s and some tube gear. No boxes for speakers.

Sorry for not musch contact, took fall head first received "tympatic Concussion." Dizzy, hard to concentrate on typing. Will clear - always somewhat dizzy anyway.

Johnny DB and Edmond (sp? sorry if wrong) picked up LaScalas - Thanks to both.

Any ideas on price - will ONLY list here on Board. Want good homes.

Be posting/returning email when I can see better. Thanks for kind words about LaScalas and health.

dodger
1.gif

----------------

Greetings Anew:

Sorry for double post (blank) would Moderator remove blank, please?

Thought Concussion would be better, still constant ringing, dizzy.

Have not forgotten.

Posted some question re: Variac - Have never let equipment sit. Where to get, how to use, etc.. McIntosh amps and Pre-amps.Since I have extra Genalex KT88s and 6L6GCts will hook to Chorus IIs, possible RF7s.

BTW: Good source of affordable Interconnects and Speaker Cable is Apature in Florida. Vampire Wire decent too.

Thanks Johnnydb - hope you're still happy - looking for papoerwork,

For as much as I THINK I know, I still have more to learn - re: Variac. All help appreciated.

Thanks,

dodger - sorry for double post = told you I;m dizzy. Thanks Moderator.