Im making a HornEd center and have a question

Earle Decker

See my thread" Questions for Trey Cannon in the Technical Question portion.

I am in the middle of building a custom center for my HT. I have a pair of La Scala's I am timbre matching. I have already bought my drivers and now I'm in the cabinet construction phase. I am using 2-Klipsch KV1089 10" woofers out of an RF7, the midrange horn aout of a KLF30 and a EV T35 (k77)horn tweeter. I have learned so much about speaker building since I started this project. Also do a search on the forum for center channels and you will find more threads on this.

Good Luck!

I'm making a HornEd Center, as well, but mine is a place where people from all over the world can come to learn about him and his work. On the campus, in the middle, will be an area where we'll study his speaker alterations. One of our first challenges will be to figure out how to perfectly balance one of his HornEdified Speakers above the screen.

fini

Wow, Im just making mine for my own enjoyment9.gif

I got the baffle out last night and cleaned up all the glue residue, what a PIA.

Today I go to Home Depot and get the new baffle and hopefully install it.

Should I leave the horn horzontal or should I mount it vertically? Im leaning toward a horizontal mount now. Maybe Ill make 2 baffles and try out both ways.

Earle

Earle,

As I have said a couple times before, you want the horn horizontal (just like it is in your other speakers) so if you are going to lay the speaker on it's side then you want to rotate the horn 90 degress too!

Technically you could tweak the crossover a bit, but since I'm positive you don't have the test equipment or know how needed to do this, I suggest you leave it well enough alone. That wasn't meant to be insulting. I doubt anyone here has the thousands of dollars of test equipment needed for such a task! Furthermore the tweaking I'm talking about would likely only yield very subtle changes at best.

Wow, I can't miss this opportunity to say congrats to all you with the guts to move up to where the rest of Klipsch natural sound enthusiasts will be. Yes, in essence it is as easy as a new "baffle" board (but the pros at Klipsch call it a motorboard... since it holds speakers which are really air moving motors!).

In most "HornEd" speaker conversions, the porting, wires, etc. remain the same. Some older versions of the KLF-30's require about a foot of additional cable. The really aggressive among us will solder new monster cable where smaller gauge wire ran originally. On most Klipsch speakers, there is a colored line to indicate which speaker wire goes where. It makes sense to mark down the wiring comfit. when you first open the speaker box.

I use a "DeadHead" mallet from HomeDepot to pop the old motorboard out and a thin continuous bead of Liquid Nails to put the new motorboard in (Liquid Nails is what the factory has been using).

Use 3/4" MDF for the new motorboard... and the old motorboard as a template for the new speaker positions. If there are two woofers, a midrange horn and a tweeter horn, stack the midrange on top of the tweeter in the dead center of the motorboard and flank them with the woofers left and right sides as closely as practical. If you have a non-symmetrical group, just group them so they are dynamically balanced around the center. The primary reason for the juxtaposition is to have a greater mechanical difference between the location of the floor standing woofers and those in the center conversion.

I had the opportunity to convert three KLF-30's to "HornEd Surrounds", the next phase of making a closely timbre-matched rear array with all the benefits and none of the drawbacks of bipole, dipole or WDST acoustic "mush-room" makers. When making a surround sound unit, I place stack the tweeter/mid-range horns in the center... but put the dual woofers as far to the opposite sides as possible. This expands the sweet spot and allows folks to sit quite close to the surrounds and still have a wonderful time. FYI, the three conversions were made in a single afternoon. Be sure to pick up a better quality disposable mask because the fine dust from MDF is not a good thing to carry around in your lungs!

It seems I just can't leave well enough alone... I also designed and built a faux subwoofer corner that can be aimed at putting more bass in the room and less to your neighbors. Of course, building an adequate bass system is second only to getter that front center speaker right! Good luck guys. =HornEd

PS: Once you've matched your speakers all the way around, you will have a hard time believing that you have lived so long in an acoustic wilderness!

----------------

On 5/9/2003 2:26:29 PM HornEd wrote:

Of course, building an adequate bass system is second only to getter that front center speaker right!

----------------

So True! That's why I built my new center first:

my_center_finished.jpg

And now I just completed my new subwoofer enlcosure (second):

my_subwoofer_finished_small.jpg

My old enclosure only measured about 1.9 cubic feet (internal volume) but this new one is right at 4 cubic feet and has a lot of internal bracing. I haven't really had much of a chance to hear this new sub yet, but according to the numbers it should now play much deeper (6dB louder then before at 20hz).

Now I just need to build those new enclosures for my KG3.2s so they can serve as my rear speakers.

I will try to put the horn is the horizontal position. The problem is going to be space. The 4.2 motor board is 29 3/4" long and with the horn centered space is tight.

If it doesnt fit what are the problems with a vertical mount? Can I trim some of the plastic trim arond the horns if needed to make it fit?

Earle

I almost forgot. Its great to see you posting again HornEd. You always have a great outlook on things. Hope your feeling well.

thanks for the info STL. Helpful as always

I post pics as soon as this speaker is done. Im just hopeng I didnt make a mistake by breaking up a pair of great 4.2s.

Earle

STL, that's a great piece of work in both places. The center intriques me, what are you using? It looks like two centers built into one with rear ports now facing forward. It also looks like you have less enclosure than I would surmise one might use with that many woofers. How does it compare in timbre to your left and right mains? I got to hand it to you, your subwoofer is built like a brick sh...imney!

Generally a verticle mount of a horn just reduces its dispersion rate from side to side. Which sometimes helps a center. However, you can mount speakers quite close together with good results. I try to leave at least one inch between speaker flanges. I would not recommend trimming the flanges. More later. =HornED

PS: Of all the many folks I have helped make a "HornED Center"... no one as yet has found it less than a great improvement. I trust, Earle, you will not be the first to build a horizontalized speaker without a smile to match.

HornEd,

Thanks for to info. I was thinking, I know dangerous stuff, What about putting the passive radiator on the rear of the speaker? Similar to a KG 4.

Trimming the horn was not going to happen, that would guarantee a large piece of trash. I dont have the tools or skills for that.

STL was going to build the 4.2C for me with his extra 4.2, but shipping concerns and $$$ make me think I could handle this project.

If this project works out I'll have a extra 4.2 for sale.

Earle

Earle,

I highly suggest you keep that extra KG4.2. You might be sorry you sold it down the road! ;)

HornEd,

I will give you the full scoop soon when I have time to really talk about it! For now, my sig shows my current (and future) HT setup.

Horn.

Just out of curiosity, you metioned re-doing the baffle in my RF7. would that include modding it such that it layed on it's side or just modifying the speaker where it's "woffer horn woofer" standing up? And just for grins, how much difference would it *REALLY* make?

Well its done and sounds great. Now I have a real center channel.

3.gif3.gif

I had to mount the horn vertical because of space issues. I cant imagine it sounding any better if I mounted it horzontally.

Thanks for all the help everyone, this really wasnt that hard to do. Now I have to find the best spot for the speaker. Its on the TV now but Im gonna make somekind of stand and try it on the floor aimed up slightly. I figure the speaker on a stand will sound better than perched up on top of a large plastic box.

Pics to come soon...

Earle