so many amps, so little money

swami49

I am still looking for a used amp for my Cornwalls. I have about $350 to spend. In an earlier post, the NAD 2200 was suggested. I have also seen some Luxman power amps, 150-180 wpc, in the same price range on Ebay. These are the two brands I am familiar with. But I would appreciate any suggests. My Luxman 55wpc receiver is nice, but appears underpowered for these big boys.

Thanks.

Swami - Have you tried your luxman? These speakers are very efficient and don't need much power to make them sound good. Most people here use 20 or so watts/channel tube amps to drive their heritage speakers. If you're not happy with the sound I would guess it's not the amount of power going in but some other issue with your system.

I don't know if 55wpc is enough. In reading this forum for a few weeks now, the general consensus seems to be more power is greatly beneficial. I have also noticed that tube amps are often less power, and you guys seem to love them. I would much rather spend the money on other things, but I want to maximize my investment in the cw's.

LOL:

That's about the truth with Scalas, Belles, and Klipschorns -- but the Cornwalls aren't quite so sensitive. However -- 55 wpc is more than enough. The additional headroom for delivering clean dynamic peaks is important.

"...don't know if 55wpc is enough. In reading this forum for a few weeks now, the general consensus seems to be more power is greatly beneficial."

55 watts constitutes "more power". Many of the discussions revolving around power are pretty much centered on comparing 3 watts of SET to 30 watts of push-pull. For hard driving rock -- 50 watts is more than you really need.

Once again I thank you for the comments. I had thought I needed the power for dynamic range, not for loudness (these babies are so loud the house breathes at 25% volume level), and I am beginning to understand the physics? engineering?.

I think I will use the money to pay for a good cd player. As to amps, my cousin has offered to bring his Dynaco 70 the next time he visits, and I will examine the tubular possibilities.

It is a pleasure to share the forum with you folks, who are forgiving of newbies and strive to help.

Thanks again,

Sam