16 foot folded horn subwoofer

Mr-Bob

A while ago, someone was talking about wanting to build a horn based subwoofer. I mentioned I had a 200 pound monster and promised to put a photo of it here. I don't know much about this thing. When I got it the driver was blown - It had a Pyle driver and I replaced it with another 12 inch subwoofer.

This thing is not powered. I drive it with an old sony ES amp. It puts out incredible base with little wattage needed. I figure its a 16 foot folded horn comming off the back of the driver because the cabinet is 4 ft. tall and the pathway appears to go all the way down then all the way up then down then up... Hmmm... 4 ft 4 ways 16 ft.

Anyway, here is the monster. This is a view down the top of this top firing subwoofer. The driver you see is a 12 inch sub.

sub0003.JPG

No this thing fires upward. It has a black grille cloth tha fits over the top that I removed when I took the photo. It is standing on its base. The base is very that is VERY heavy. The way you see it is the way it was designed!

Hmm... I have a thing for wierd and rare speakers. I may be willing to sell this thing but shipping would be expensive. It weighs so much and two people have difficulty lifting it. Let me think about selling it and I will let you know.

quote:

Originally posted by EvilMinion:

Hmm... Well I don't think I need a used wife, but the sub would be nice .

Pretty cool looking, at that.

How much would you want for the monster? Not to say I have any money, but just out of curiosity.
tongue.gif

Ok, I have been thinking about this thing... My wife won't let me put it where I ought to go so I guess I will sell it if anyone want's it. I would sell the box without the driver for $100.00 Plus shipping. The box with the driver for $180.00 plus shipping. You would need an amp to drive it. I think 75 of 100 wats would be plenty.

The thing weighs plenty so, if you live near Miami or Ft. Lauderdale you'd want to come get it.

Brian,

A rear loaded horn such as this one is typically built to allow the horn to augment the bass response of the woofer. Usually a rear load is used so that a full range driver can be used where it couldn't in a front folded horn configuration.

Peter Z.