here you go STEELRFAN, a review

marksdad

to begin i am still tweaking, and to be honest i have not had to do this many adjustments to ANY piece of equipment, or should i say have i been able to do.

after listening to the rotel gear for maybe 8 months i was very accostamed to its very laid back presentation, when rotel is playing well it is hard to beat! but for those of you who have read my earlier posts you know why i have switched.

i have found in 1 short day that i prefere an "analytical presentation" as the lady says. as soon as i plugged in and sparked the old girl i was mesmerized, it sounds so much more alive, more active, the soundstage and imaging are remarkable, this reciever really puts you in the music, or ht, as i listen i pause because i hear more realism, i have been playing oldies and goodies, well known to me, so as to judge old against new fairly, and i will say what stereophile mag said; the B&K AVR 507 is living proof that a reciever can be better than seperates.

its got an class "a" predriver , and an "ab" mosfet output stage, bass management crossover frequency and slope, an sweepable notch filter for equalization, timbre matching filters, adaptive decorrelation, boundary gain compensation.............. listed are just a few of the newer aspects that i am learning to incorporate into my listening environment, it is cool, but a nightmare at the same time, many of these adjustment can only be made using the computer interface, also the higher functions on the remote have to be done using my pc, and naturally i have a crappy hp pavillion!

i have read many posts stating that they felt rotel to be a tad on the bright side, pashaw! i was leaning towards some of the cornwakk fixes i had been reading about lately, too boomy? as soon as i sparked my B&K that went away. what followed was a very tight well managed bass, as well as an overall controlled soundstage, even with my rotel instruments sounded too close together, at times straining against each other for space, now the controlled soundstage places instruments, voices, birds in prospective, if you close your eyes you can sense the vocalist, mik in face and from somewhere in the rear off to the side you hear the cymballs, or backgroung vocals, i have not experienced this before, even with rotel, sorry rotel.

i also purchased an pioneer elite DV 45-A, for less than 500 it quite a performer, dvd, dvd-a, sacd, cd... it handles everything pretty well, surprizingly.

for a month or two i have cut back on my listening, due to my probs with rotel, now i cant wait to get home again, it feels so good, although my racks look empty, i have to find something to fill those spots, thanks guys12.gif

i sometimes have a tendancy to jump over the potatoes and go right for the meat, and once i read the instructions a little closer i began giving lessons to the salespeople, it is really easy, the remote and 507 practiclally do everything themselvs, you only need push the right button, but it is really cool, i went from an frustrated new owner, using 4 remotes, to a satisfied new owner using 1 remote. this b&k is everything i had hoped the rotel gear would be, and than some, it has such an authoritive presentation right out of the box, and it only gets better, and the elite is quite a performer for 50012.gif

The B&K 507 is the only receiver on the marktet that truly offers seperates performance in one box. It has the Ref50 as a preamp and the non reference 7 channel amp under its chasis. Minus balanced inputs, there is no difference between the seperate Ref50 and the preamp thats in the 507. Its pretty sweet having a $3k preamp in a $4k receiver. The Avr507 is also the only receiver on the market that is non current limiting. Every Japanese receiver employs a circuit breaker which shuts off current (and the unit) when the going gets tough and as a result your peak power is limited. B&K employs fuses and when things get too hot they simply blow. You then simply pop off the top and replace the one that you blew. Peak power all the time.

I don't know which Rotel you were running? But, I think you put it best in terms of the musical aspect of the Rotel's. My RB 976 is only gonna be pushing HT duties in my rig from here on out. It's Gonna Be A Nice Mcintosh for my Music Rig here shortly. Sure wish I could afford a "Beast" such as your B&K.

Enjoy,

Jalen

everything in this beast seems to be so well mated, power is distributed so well, so evenly, with so much authority. last night my son and i were watching a recommended "b" movie, it is called "EQUILIBRIUM" guys you have to see this one, talk about sub workouts, it is kind an alternate storyline to the matrix, but in a dark way. anyway, the b&k delivers with such authority that as we watched and enjoyed i was just amayzed at the way the bass was so controlled and powerfull ( ksw 12) after awhile of listening to this movie i heard a knock at the door, there was my neighbor, and he gestured for me to please turn the volume down, it was not volume however, it was the sub pounding the floor, walls, ceiling, it seemed to be hitting in waves you could feel. day after day i am learning more and more about this reciever, and it just becomes more of what i have been searching for, plus the remote really matches well with other devices, although i am still looking for a way to set presets for my tuner. funny, i sit and listen, and my son will come downstairs sometimes, and all he hears besides the mucic is me saying wow, wow, wow12.gif