Subwoofer truly to 18-20HZ, what can i buy for a Sub?

SPL President

hi Klipsch fans,

now i´ve got a big question.

In the next time, i want do buy a new subwoofer.

I like deep bass with heavy -SPL- (Sound Preasure Level) down to "shaking" frequencys. (ouu yeaa!)

I´ve got the Klipsch KSW-12, but they play not so deep frequencys but they very loud! 3.gif

So there are the brand new RSW-12 with double bass system active Radiator and one passive radiator, i´ve heared that thing by a Klipsch dealer.wow nice ! 3.gif

but i need more power 10.gif

btw i readed in some magazines there are SVS-Subwooofers they go´n down to 15hz !?!? with up to 114db and more.

So now, my friends any ideas what can i buy other firms ?!? (Please dont say B&W)

manny thanks

SVS would be my commercial vote. http://www.acoustic-visions.com/ or rutledge/"]http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com would be my custom built vote (these guys should be able to match or beat anything SVS offers for the same or less money).

But if you want the ultimate in loud low bass (well the ultimate would be a massive basshorn, but the mouth required for 15hz extension will make it impractical) you need to build an infinite baffle:

http://www.f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

Say 6 Stryke AV15 drivers in a nice manifold with mid 100W power per driver. Total cost including a good pro amp should be under $2k.

Dustin has a great but impractical idea,like a bass horn.Very practical for the average user. 11.gif

Lets get practical real for a minute and stop living in a castle

If true deep bass you want and size is a concern(it IS for anyone,unless you live in a castle)

Some of the very best subs with true 16Hz capability are

Velodyne HGS18(a classic)

Paradigm Servo-15(a good chunk of the HGS)

SVS CS/PC,CS-Plus/PC-Plus/Ultra/B2 and B4-Plus(best deal on a non DIY sub)

Aerial SW12(expensive,for purists only with $$$$)

Wilson Watch DOG(the price makes it almost impractical,the rest is GOOD)

Revel B15(a strong performer,bone cruncher deluxe 9.gif )

HSU VTF-3/TN series(another SVS like bargain)

Forget any Klipsch,sad but true.No Klipsch even gets close to any above.

And a good few DIY(this is if you feel like a handyman and dont mind building the cabinet)planety of great subs using Adire and Stryke woofers.Now here Dustin could help you more.

If you want low bass extension... check out the Adire DPL12 in about a 5 cu.ft. box, ported and tuned to 16Hz. This yields an F3 around 15.5Hz. With the high power rating (600W is it?) you could get some extreme bass from this. If space is a concern, use a SonoSub config for a slightly thin, yet tall speaker. Should work wonderfully.

----------------

On 5/13/2003 11:15:30 AM Mlstrass wrote:

What's so impractical about an IB sub??? .... GREAT suggestion Dustin!!

----------------

I think IB can be impratical for many people for the fact that you need a large enough adjoining space to use as an "infinite" baffle... whether it is a room, an attic, or a crawl space. Anyone who lives in a multifamily dwelling or a rental unit may have problems modifing the home for bass. Attic spaces are also harder to use if you live in a northern climate.

But i agree with dustin for ultimate performance... 9.gif

Rob

The DPL12 will be destroyed if feed 600W in that allignment. Mechanical travel limits and thermal power handling limits are two different things. Depending on the allignment it can take very little power to reach the mechanical travel limits of the driver. Thermal power handling is just how much power the voice coils can take before they start to melt, not how much power the driver should recieve.

Well said Dustin,

"Thermal power handling is just how much power the voice coils can take before they start to melt, not how much power the driver should recieve."

Operating in true FREE AIR most woofers bottom out VERY FAST.Unless you buy a designed for FREE AIR use woofer with very stiff sourround and spider.Even then the woofers can handle more power with lesser mechanical stress.