Where do you guys buy your record/stylus cleaner?

Craig6519

There are various recipes on the net. I make my own:

300 - 400ml. 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol( not rubbing alcohol - It is 70% alcohol and contains oils in solution)

a few drops of liquid detergent

1 gallon of distilled water

Works like a damn on vinyl...............BUT

DO NOT USE THIS SOLUTION ON 78 RPM RECORDS.... THE ALCOHOL DISSOLVES THEM !!

Fortunately I knew enough chemistry that I didn't make that mistake and subsequent research confirmed my suspicions.

I just do them at the kitchen sink as I cannot afford a cleaning machine.

My procedure:

Put about 1 quart in a plastic dishpan and use a soft cloth to apply the cleaner to both sides of the disk rubbing in the direction of th groove. Rinse under lukewarm water (room temperature +/-). Lay records on lint free absorbant towel and pat dry using another towel - ( I do about 3 at a time). I then place the naked disks in an old fashioned wire record rack and allow them to air dry for about 20 minutes. It is a slow process but it does produce a marked improvement if the record is in reasonable condition to begin with.

I get mine at the grocery store. Palmolive. Weak solution in warm water does 78's to LP's. I use a baby washcloth to gently scrub, then rinse and vacuum with a Nitty Gritty machine...though a chamois or soft lint-free towel will do.

Dave

I use my own recipe based on the formulas given from TNT Audio at http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/fluids.html

I mix 3 parts distilled water with 1 part isopropyl alcohol and add a few drops of a surfactant (I use Tetenol) and Windex window cleaner as a detergent. My LPs remain static free after cleaning on my KAB-EV1 record cleaner so I have no need for guns like Milty etc.

For stylus cleaner, I just use the Audio Technica AT100 cleaning fluid sparingly (once a week) and just use my supplied Shure stylus brush to do general cleaning of the stylus when necessary.