SVS Sub...Powered or Non-Powered?

G-Money

Greetings all,

I am going build a surround system using my Chorus II's. I am going to get a KSV-C7 Center and a pair of RS-3 II. I am also going to get a Yamaha 2300 suround reciever(just using 2 channel stereo right now).

I want to order a SVS sub and wanted advice as to whether I should get the powered or non-powered sub? I realize the cost differance is only 1 or 2 hundred bucks, but would like to use components I already own if possible. I have 2 Denon Mono amps rated at 135 watts into 8 olms, would this be enough power for the non-powered sub?

Also, how would you hook this up(I have never used a sub-woofer before)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

V/R

G-Money 10.gif

The best advise is to ask SVS tech support. When you email them include your room size and intended usage IE; 60% HT and 40 Music ect ect. Tom V and the gange over at SVS are true Pro's and will not steer you wrong. Good luck.

"The best advise is to ask SVS tech support. When you email them include your room size..."

Thank you for advice, but I am in the military and move around alot. At this time I am in a tiny 12x14x8 living room made of concrete in Okinawa Jp (base housing...YUK!!!).

I will retire in 3 years and will be buying a house in the Washinton area of unknown size, I would like to get something flexible...I am probably asking the impossible. Any suggestions?

By the way, when I was in Korea, my wife and kids were here in Okinawa and my kids put their hands through the rear 15" speakers in the back of my Chorus II's (could have killed them), would you know of a place to order new speakers?

Thanks in advance,

V/R

G-Money

I have a pair of Chorus IIs I bought while stationed in England. The speakers in the back are actually passive radiators. I think you can still order replacements directly from Klipsch. I just retired myself in January. Civilian life will take a little getting used to, but I think you'll like it.

Take Care,

Bill

What do the denon mono blocks push into 4ohms? I'm really not sure that 270 is enough to push into an svs (i'm assuming the denon's output doubles when you drop to 4ohm). Personally I'd go with a powered sub, there are those out there that will disagree, but I think the bash amp was designed for subwoofer was and the output is paired to the driver.

I believe, if money is a concern or you just want the flexibility of swapping sub amps, that your Denon will drive that SVS just fine. Was a time when Tom V, if I recall correctly, was even suggesting that people on a budget get one of those POS KLH receivers at BB for $100 to power the cylinders.

The original powered tower only had something like 190 watts, I think.

DD

""The best advise is to ask SVS tech support. When you email them include your room size..."

'Thank you for advice, but I am in the military and move around alot. At this time I am in a tiny 12x14x8 living room made of concrete in Okinawa Jp (base housing...YUK!!!).'

I would second the recommendation to email the good folks at SVS. They may have info that we are not privvy to (for example - just how much will it cost to get those sub(s) to Okinawa). Also, they are the most honest and helpful folks in the biz. I've seen the SVS folks actually recommend competitors subs, in those rare instances where they meet the customers' needs better than SVS (which is admittedly, not too often, but does occasionally happen).

I would guess that the Denon mono would be plenty to run an SVS, at least for now. The cool thing about subs is that if the first purchase is not sufficient, you can add more subs (which may be something you may do once you get back stateside). Not buying an amp now would save some $$$$ in international shipping, too.

Hook-up: If non-powered, you run a cable from the sub out on the Yamaha to the amplifier input, then speaker wire from amp to sub. If it is a powered sub, you just need the connection from the Yamaha sub out to the input on the SVS. When you talk to SVS, they will go over hookups and make sure you have the necessary accessories.

"By the way, when I was in Korea, my wife and kids were here in Okinawa and my kids put their hands through the rear 15" speakers in the back of my Chorus II's (could have killed them), would you know of a place to order new speakers?"

The amazing thing to this problem is that it doesn't seem to be a problem at all. I listen to my these speakers and can't hear anything undesiable sound from the passive radiators. Also, if I get a sub and set my fronts to small speakers, would I be right in thinking that the passive radiators wouldn't even be used?

V/R

G-Momey

G-Money, you will want to have the radiators on the back of the Chorus replaced or repaired when you get a chance. These are not actual speakers, but serve to allow the proper amount of air movement for the woofer. If the radiator is damaged, it cannot serve it's proper function, although the speakers themselves may still play. The sound will improve in the bass when the radiators work properly.

"Large" or "small" adjustments in the receiver have no bearing on this whatsoever.

I have a SVS CS25-31 (tuned to 20 Hz) driven by a 105 watt Onkyo amp (right side only) and it powers the sub vey nicely. I personally like the flexiblity of being able to upgrade to a larger amp later. Also keeps the cost down for now. My advise... use the Denon to power one of their passive models.

I would get the passive sub and see if your amp will drive it to your likings. If it doesn't, you can always get another amp. Since you're in the military, that might be the best place to get an amp anyway with the discounts. I am currently using a Yamaha 120 watt amp to drive a passive JBL 4638 pro bass bin. It has two 15" woofers. The 120 watts from one channel of the amp drives this just fine.

I am in the process of talking with Tom V about the 25-31 CS, he says he can tune it down to around 22 hz and the amp should be just fine, thank you all for the help on the subject.

V/R

G-Money

P.S. Shipping quoted at $125.00...OUCH! Do these subs really weigh that much?