HK DPR 1001 is out!!

manufanatic

follow the link http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_17142.htm its out and looks slim and sexy.. I asked the onecall guys about the sound and they have no idea if it has the legendary warm klipsch friendly sound. at 749 shipped it seems to be a great deal but i want to make sure it mates well with my Klipschs before making the purchase if anyone has heard this please speak up!!!

Oh... I hate all these new receiver options. I don't need a new one but I sure want one. 4.gif

Now, I know that H/K makes up for the lack of watts with high current and Klipsch is very effecient, but, is 50 watts getting a little low? I would have to imagine they would not put out a receiver that could not get-it-on though.

What interestes me so much is that this is a new technology for them, it's a brand new receiver, yet it costs *MUCH* less than the 7200. Why?

I am kinda with you on this. I would love to audition one but... Why so much less expensive? Does it really cost that much less to produce on of these units, or is it a first cut receiver that they know there will be issues with.

Eh, dunno. Would love to hook one up at home and see how it sounds a performs.

First of all,it's different technology. This is an entirely digital receiver with digital amps. There is no need for a D/A converter. The dig. signal is passed right from your dig source to the amps without conversion. Supposedly, we should be seeing more manufacturers doing this in the future.

I went to the HK web site, and found out two things. First the Retail list for this is 1,449.00 so you'd be getting it for about half off. Secondly- One Call is listed as an authorized dealer............so you get the best of both worlds. Just thought I'd share, I am sure you already knew this............Regards.

I wouldn't get too excited about these kind of receivers. Especially if you've already got something good like a Denon or HK 525. These "digital" amp chips are being made by a lot of people - non of which are known for great amps - and being used in mostly HTIB and small shelf systems. The DPR1001 isn't using some new HK developed amp circuit it's just off the shelf from someone like TI or Tripath.

m00n, if you're really itching for a substantial upgrade (and aren't you always?2.gif ) start looking at separate amps and processors. Then next time the bug bites you could upgrade just the amps or just the processor or both! See, more upgrade paths. The downside is if you pick something like the Aragon Stage One and Aragon amps there's less room to move up next time3.gif .

----------------

On 5/19/2003 1:14:07 PM Trooper wrote:

m00n, if you're really itching for a substantial upgrade (and aren't you always?
2.gif
)

---------------

True, very true. 4.gif9.gif

I think the biggest reason right now is that I would really like to have Dolby Digital EX in my receivers arsenal. (as well as THX Ultra24.gif, I know I know, spare me the lecture 2.gif)

• 8 months later...

sony is doing it....

panasonic is doing it...

both to rave reviews for very little cost....

one thread on the avs forum touted the panasonic unit as a "krell killer".... maybe overstated..but you get the point...

this digital amplification technology is the wave of the future...and more than a few of you will be buying it in the future...

denon will be releasing a digital amplified receiver in march ...(or so i've heard)....

if you read on more than this forum you've probably read about it already..... (too many die hard tube heads here)...

personally... i own a carver ZR1000 professional amp that uses a digital chip as the basis for it's amplification....

i am extremely pleased with it's performance..... deadly quiet yet with over 200 watts per channel when required with a very smooth sound with my KLF-30's....

----------------

On 1/19/2004 6:31:35 PM johnymac wrote:

I hear these are so cheap because they go against all the HK stoof for. None of the dealers wanted any part of them. From what I was told you can only get these of the net.

Hope this helps.

----------------

I've seen the H/K DPR's at my local CC.

All of this digital amp stuff is starting to make me think since I'm now in the process of saving for a new one. I don't want to be buying another new one in a couple of years.

Anyone want to give me the money for a Bel Canto EVo6? 2.gif

• 1 month later...

I bought one of these from circuit city for 549.00 in Nov 03, but returned it within the 30 day period. The ONLY reason I returned it was because it was the only H/K I had heard at the time and didn't want to regret the purchase if I found one I liked better. I thought it sounded warm, clean, clear, and open (lamens terms). I did notice that it did not have as much control over the bass at high volume as I would have liked. I'm still considering the possibly getting it for a pre/pro, it has all the "bells and whistles". I've listened to the AVR-630 side by side against the 1001 since then and the 630 is slightly more distinct in HT, then again it costs a bit more. The 1001 is slim, WILL NOT HEAT UP, and am sure would sound AWESOME with a sepaerate amp (I know, that defeats the whole digital path concept). Thats what think anyhow.

I might be wrong, so take my comments with a big grain of salt, but i believe this unit actually started shipping last year. It is heavily discounted, which seems like another hint that this all digital amplifyer still has less than perfect audio.

I dont rememeber the site, but i read quite an extensive analysis of the first generation of all digital amps made by Panasonic, Sony, HK. A very brief skinny of that review was that at the price level of these units it is hard to implement a high quality unit. While the idea of eliminating the D/A in the processing/amplification stages seems very nice, i remember the reviewer went on to say that amplifying a digital signal was not as straightforward as it seemed. I dont remember any of the technical specifics, i am sorry, and I am not an engineer. But what i remember from the review is that to achieve a neutral full range audio signal requires some serious design of the amplification stage, and it apeared that the first generation of these digital amps were a bit lacking in this aspect.

But then again, we all came across many BS reviews, so maybe this was one of those. Just a word of caution.

Does anyone know if the dpr-2001 or 2002 (can't remeber the exact name)is still scheduled for produciton? Last I heard it was supposed to be 100 watts x7 instead of 50. Maybe they want to see how the 1001 does before releasing or making improvements on the other model.

As far as the processing section of the 1001 do you think its on par with a 525 for a pre/pro?