Direct radiating vs dispersal surrounds

Gilmoure

Hi!

With Dolby Pro-Logic, dispersal type speakers (SS-1, RS-3, etc) were great as the rear sounds were not point specific. With Dolby Digital and DTS, the rear channels are now discrete. Should I go with matched direct type speakers (SB-1's, RB-1's, etc) over the dispersal type of speakers? Just wondering what everyone thinks on this. Thanks!

Gilmoure:

Even though Dolby Digital and DTS are discreet and have wide frequency response in the rear channels, ambience is still needed. If you are listening to HT information, ambience AND localization is used in the rear channels. Our WDST speakers (such as the SS-1's and RS-3's) work well for both types of sounds in the rear. The two horns on each speaker cover a 180 degree dispersion pattern for ambience, and the controlled directivity of the horns allows for good localization also (to allow a particular sound to radiate to a particular area). I would recommend that if the majority of your listening is home theatre, you should use the surround speakers. On the other hand, if you mainly listen to 5 channel music (a DSP option on many of today's HT receivers), a "main" type of speaker is usually desired such as the SB-1's or RB-5's.

Finally, there are several receivers on the market (such as some Denon's) that allow you to use surrounds on the sides and normal dispersion speakers on the rear, enabling you to choose which ones you will listen to based on whether you are listening to music or HT.

PhilH

PhilH,another question along those lines:

Have KSP300's front and rear corners and C5 center.Thinking about using two pair of KSPS6's on side and rear wall for surrounds. Or I could use 2 S6's on the rear wall and a pair of KT-DS dipoles to bathe the side walls.Considering the Denon 3801.The switching from music modes to surround will be no problem.The primary question is what is your feeling on using the dipoles for the

side walls as opposed to the KSPS6's,keeping in mind the WDST S6's on the rear wall.Just trying to utilize some of the collection. smile.gif

Thanks, Keith

I use a pair of KLF-30s as surrounds and a pair of KG-3.5s for rear effects. I tried a pair of KSP-S6s for surrounds but felt the KLF-30s did every bit as good a job, if not better. If you have a dealer that is willing to set up both give it a shot. The best thing I can say is, be your own judge. It's what sounds best to you. Good luck!

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 surrounds

KG -3.5 rear effects

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC1000

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

ColaBear, thanks for the response.One problem I have is my room will not allow me to get away from the rear KSP300's as I need to.Thought maybe the S6's mounted up on wall may help.Sorta the wrap-around effect with the S6's was what I had in mind.As usual seating position and possible floor speaker placement is killing me.BUT HEY,I got all the speakers I need for any possible combination so I'll get it right sooner or later.One other question CB.What did you think about the sheer output/performance of the S6's? Thanks,

Keith

Decided to re-visit and clarify my original idea:

1-Get Denon 3801

2-use KSP300's front L/R

3-use KSF-C5 center

4-use KSP300's back L/R

5-use 4-KSP-S6 surrounds side/back wall

6-throw in 1 to 3 existing subs as needed

i am about to add km6's as my rear, corner speakers for 2 reasons: 1, most of the material i have been reading has pushed me in that direction, with an eye toward rs-3's or ksp-s6's or kt-ds' etc as side surrounds when i upgrade my receiver; 2, they were a GREAT deal! plus they match my front kg5.5's. we'll see how it all turns out.

david

gil, for rear surrounds are u talkin in a 5.1

or in a 6.1/7.1 set-up???

for 5.1 i'd use wdst like the rs-3.

for 6.1/7.1 i'd use direct speaks like rf-3 or rc-3 for the rear effects as DTS suggests (i think they're much more w/ it than dolby)

wish i had this dilemma (& the space for it) biggrin.gif

I'm just setting up a 5.1 H/T. Currently, I have two old Mirage bookshelf speakers about 10 years old, a Mirage 'micro' center channel and two Boston Accoustic computer speakers for the rears with the Boston Accoustic computer sub. This is in a small apartment so it's been tolerable but I've really enjoyed my friend's system with his Klipsch setup. I'll be looking forward to 'real' matching speakers when I move into my house in a couple of weeks. Can't wait. Due to unexpected closing costs (everyone in gov't seems to have their hand out), I'll likely be going with the Sysnergy 1 level speakers (SB-1's, SC-1, SS-1's, and a KSW-10 sub). Seems a good deal for the price. Wish I had $1500 to do the Referance Level speakers. That'd be sweet!

gil, that syn set-up should be sweet in it's own considering the move up to klipsch smile.gif

like others said, the ss-1 type wdst speak does have that direct center driver which u would probably want to aim close to your listening position. then those 2 upper drivers should have that reflecting sound filling in that rear soundstage for ye.

happy listenin!

Gilmoure,

The Synergy Series will still impress you, your friends, and your neighbors...BUT if you can squeese just another $100 to upgrade from the KSW-10 to the KSW-12...YOU will be much happier with your system...this advice comming to you from a KSW-10 owner who wishes someone would have given him this same advice.

Good Luck!

Dave

Dave is right on the money with the KSW-12 as the better choice in a "cost-effective" low end K-sub... and I made that decision three times for my system. Keep in mind, though, that the KSW-15 uses BASH technology (as explained by BobG in the power sub section)... and it really adds yet another dimension (for somewhat longer green rolleyes.gif )!

The "direct radiating vs. dispersal surrounds" brings up a more difficult dilemma (as posted in "Discretely Surrounded" in Technical). The problem in a nutshell is that to enjoy what is available to us consumers as source material the ability to have both results in one discrete/surround speaker is needed... but then, I may be somewhat more "picky" about the rear portion of my sound envelope. If ever there was a place to push the envelope by manufacturers and creators... it is here. At least the Hope folks have coined an advertising phrase "WDST" and a product concept that attacks the problem. HornEd

------------------

"Klipsch by the Dozen"

Front Six Pack:

KLF 30's R&L + KLF C-7

KSW-15 Sub, SB-2 Effects

Rear Six Pack:

KLF 10 thru KSW-12 L/C/R

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Happy Ears x2!