KLF-10 as custom built center?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

decibel man,

Thanks for the info. I am doing pretty much what you advise. I sprayed a few coats of primer yesterday. I sanded the box between each coat. I am painting the box black and will probably do it the same way.

Craig,

Hate to hear about that. But at least you have a great center already.

Good luck, Q.

Right on, Cool.gif Boa! There's no sneakin' a bean scene through your listening lounge... Smash.gif

Craig, I should have a "factory fresh" set of KLF 30's arriving Thursday... which will give me four KLF 30's and three KLF 10's to play with. (More on that is in my post on "Discretely Surrounded..." in Tech Questions.

Suddenly, the opportunity arrises to turn a 30 or a 10 into a monster center speaker to better match the 30's on either side of the RPHD. Of course, while I might play a bit... I intend to hold tight to the KLF C-7 until any Klipsch surgery is an unqualified success!

By using the KLF 30 with the occasional "bean streak" Redface.gif as the Guinea pig... if all else fails, I can reassemble it in stock fashion with special attention to sealing off the "campfire effects."

Q, it looks like I can get some extra milage out of your experience. Thanks for making this opportunity worth Eyes.gif exploring. HornEd

------------------

"Klipsch by the Dozen"

Front Six Pack:

KLF 30's R&L + KLF C-7

KSW-15 Sub, SB-2 Effects

Rear Six Pack:

KLF 10 thru KSW-12 L/C/R

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Happy Ears x2!

4977, you can't put enough coats of primer on that MDF. My speakers are the same size as the RB-5's and they still took about 5 cans of sandable primer. I painted mine white, so they really had to be coated. The other problem that is created by not using enough primer is the MDF soaks up the paint. If you use any sort of gloss paint it will look dull in spots where the wood is still soaking the paint in. I remember the very moment I finally hooked the pair up and heard the creation I had been laboring over. It was a grand accomplishment. I know that some guys build speakers as a hobby, but this was my first attempt and first finished pair. I don't see a second pair in my near future, but I do not regret that project. I am glad that your project is going well.

Good luck and happy listening,

JT

quote:

Originally posted by 4977:

Since I already have a KG 5.5 with a damaged cabinet I am going to buy a sheet of plywood and try to put it together this weekend.

Good Luck, Q

You do not want to use plywood! You should use 3/4" MDF. I've designed and built many a speaker box myself. I am currently using a pair of KG5.5s for front mains, and I bought a lone KG4.2 to re-box to use as my center (note it uses the same tweeter as my mains so it should a superb match). I also purchased all the drivers and xovers from a pair of KG4s which I plan to use a surround speakers once I build a custom enclosure that fits into my builtin bookcases (that are located in the back of my room). If you have any enclosure design or construction questions feel free to ask me!

quote:

Originally posted by decibel man:

4977, you can't put enough coats of primer on that MDF. My speakers are the same size as the RB-5's and they still took about 5 cans of sandable primer. I painted mine white, so they really had to be coated. The other problem that is created by not using enough primer is the MDF soaks up the paint. If you use any sort of gloss paint it will look dull in spots where the wood is still soaking the paint in. I remember the very moment I finally hooked the pair up and heard the creation I had been laboring over. It was a grand accomplishment. I know that some guys build speakers as a hobby, but this was my first attempt and first finished pair. I don't see a second pair in my near future, but I do not regret that project. I am glad that your project is going well.

Good luck and happy listening,

JT

Many of my speaker designs were subwoofer boxes designed for car audio, so covering them with carpet (I've also used velour and vinyl) is easier than trying to get a nice paint job. I did make one set of home speakers during my college years. I used that flec-stone textured paint which did a good job of hiding surface imperfections. I admit that finishing cabinets can be just a hard as correctly designing them! Smile.gif

I was going to post a photo of one of the speakers, but can't seem to do it now. I have both pretty well finished at this point. I have painted the speaker made out of mdf. decibel man is right on the money about the primer. I used 4 cans on the cabinet before painting it with semi gloss black. I am still trying to decide if I want to sand it down a little more and reprimer it. The other one is made of 3/4" plywood. I had reservations about using plywood but the thing sounds pretty good. I need to try to figure out a way to compare the two. The inside of the cabinet has been braced along all joints. I used 1 and 1/2 bags of fiberglass from radio shack along all interior walls of the cabinet. I may try to find a switcher of some sort and compare both of my speakers to my C7. If I do I will post my findings. I can not thank everyone enough for all of the input on this project.

Now for another question. I am thinking about cutting some wedges out of scraps to use to angle the speaker. Does any have any thoughts on this or beter ideas?

Once again thanks for all the help.

Q.

Given the apparant success of the CenterMod KLF-10 pictured above, I am tempted to take my oldest, most abused KLF-30 and modify it as a center by putting holes for a horizontal layout in a new baffle board. There is plenty of room and strength in the Mitsu RPHD 65" to hold it and even the shielding does not seem to be a great problem. Any tips out there? HornEd

PS: I also have a single KLF 10 that I could modify instead... but thought the timbre matching might be an issue. I have a C-7... and as you know, that isn't all that bad.

------------------

"HornEd Herd"

Front Six Pack:

KLF 30's R&L + KLF C-7

KSW-15 Sub, SB-2 Effects

Side Surround:

KLF 30 on KSW-12 L/R

Rear Effects:

KLF 10 L/R

Rear Center:

KLF 10 atop KSW-12

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

... and counting!

I was wondering what you were doing with your 5.5s?

Were your boxes in that bad of shape? At one time i saw you were just going to fix your 5.5 boxes!!

But ill tell you what, you have invented the killer center channel there!

Wheres the port, on the back?

I bet that center you built would go nice with my 2 pair of cornwalls, want to sell the other!! LOL

When its done?

Anyway, glad to see you got something out of your damaged KG5.5s, looks great, and i think it was a good move, good luck once more, Jim

Well, Q, your innovative work and informative posts have led me to buy yet another pair of KLF 30's... and surgery has begun on "horizontalizing" the one KLF 30 that on rare sound bytes, leaks air like the bean scene in "Blazing Saddles." I am hoping a new baffle board that rotates the horns 90 degrees and provides for a woofer on either side, plus some sheetmetal inside the new bottom will make the old KLF 30 into an acceptable center channel... given your success with the KLF 10. I am open to suggestions... Tipsy.gif HornEd

------------------

"30 Something 6.1 Herd"

KLF 30 Mains

KLF 30 Modified Center

KLF 30 Surrounds

KLF 30 Rear Effects

SB-2 Front Effects

Subs: KSW-15 + 3 KSW-12's

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

... UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Hey HornED, What are you gonna do with those left over KLF-10's?

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

SVS 20-39CS Sub (In the mail)

Samaon S700 Sub Amp (In the mail)

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Sony TA-N220 Amp running front effects

Hitachi MX4080EM Muli-system VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Well, Craig, and all the others who asked one place and another... I am not sure. I like the sound of KLF 30's well enough to take a flyer at having six of them in a 6.1 system.

Originally, I picked up the KLF 10's because I could not find enough new KLF 30's available in the S.F. Bay Area. I bought the C-7 after trying a RC-3. But, if the modified KLF-30 works I will probably part with the KLF 10's and the C-7. If you would like to be posted on any decision, let me know.

I must confess that I am still eager to hear the new line... and who knows, I may have six KLF 30's and three KLF 10's available in the not too distant future.

Im my cognition studies of elderly folks, Klipsch speakers continue to excel. I think it is the nature of the horn and its purity in handling tones.

I am still looking forward to hearing how your SVS ramps up in your system. Good bass has the potential to stir neural growth. Oh, yes, and there is that other famous quote, "Old legends never die... they just take up space in my basement." Wink.gif HornEd

------------------

"30 Something 6.1 Herd"

KLF 30 Mains

KLF 30 Modified Center

KLF 30 Surrounds

KLF 30 Rear Effects

SB-2 Front Effects

Subs: KSW-15 + 3 KSW-12's

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

... UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

decibel man,

This bass is much better than the C7. In fact I think the biggest advantage of going this route is the improved low end. It is especially nice on older movies that have a mono soundtrack. I connected the C7 and 5.5 using a cheap radio shack speaker selector. The difference in the two speakers was most apparent when a lot of action was going on in a movie. On music the 5.5 seems a little laid back compared to the C7. I don't normally listen to music in surround, but I was impressed with the way cd's sounded with my new center.

HornEd,

When I spoke with tech. service I asked about using a mid, tweet, and network from a klf-20 im my setup. I was advised that it may not be the best idea, especially considering the extra cost. In your situation I might try attaching the new board with screws so you wouldn't have a problem rearranging the drivers if they didn't work out. I would think that if you lined the midrange up on the same axis as the woofers and put the tweeter immediately above the tweeter that you would have a great center. I am very interested in your proect. If it works out I might be ordering a new mid & tweeter and starting over. Once again thanks to all for the kind words and support.

Q.

Thank-Q very much, that was my plan. I figure if my experiment fails, I can always remount the parts on the original board and reinsert it. I need to pull that board and reseal it in any event, so I might as well get some "playtime" in as well.

Q, I'd like your input on another matter. I am considering a home-modification to a pair of KLF 30's to improve their characteristics as side surround speakers. My thought is that if I mounted a custom box with a pair of mid-range horns (like those in the KLF 30) configured in a 180 degree array that they would provide some WDST advantages. My thought was to remove the internal mid-range horn and extend the hook-up wire to the horns mounted in a custom enclosure atop the KLF30's. I think the added height of the horns will benefit the "ambiance" characteristics I seek without losing too much of the "discrete" performance I enjoy from having KLF 30's on the side.

Thanks for your continued interest. HornEd