Scott 299A and Forte IIs - How will they sound?

boomac

Okay the amp and tuner have landed. I haven't opened the tuner yet. I was to curious to what Gregg was hearing with his 299 that makes him think the SET amps is the end all do all. Well just as I figure the 299 is almost completely stock and what was done to it was done completely wrong !! A bad filter can was repair by tacking on a seperate new electrolytic right on top of the bad one which of coarse ruin that cap !! So he was listening to a Scott 299 with no B+ filtering going to the Center taps of the output tranformers LOL !! Also every 40 year old coupling cap is still in place the Bias and heater supply voltage is 30% low then top all that off the output tubes are 4 different brands that are out of balance by a huge margin. I'm sure those rescently produced SET amps do sound a good bit better !! I would refrain from your comparisions about your SET amps and the Scott's since your Scott could not have even come close to sounding like it should.

I want to make it clear that this is absolutely normal electrical shape for a 40 year old tube amp and in no way reflects bad on the price he sold these for it was still a very good deal. I'm just trying to make sure that this redicules comparision is not taken seriously.

You can not buy these 40 year old amps and run them then give reviews and comparisions based on what you heard ! They are not even fit to even be plugged into the wall !

Craig

PS,

This can all be fixed so no worries !

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dflip, Don't talk like that bud! I've been down that route and a replay isn't really necessary! LOL! Too many Marlboro's and greasy food took their toll. Hey, I was a bit nervous when I started reading Craig's post but in no-time I was feeling even better. Gregg had mentioned a "set amp" and I had no idea what he was talking about. I thought, "not another thing I have to consider"? Haven't heard much about set amps on the forum but I sure have heard a lot about the Scott 299. It seems like there are quite a few happy owners out there and I'm convinced it's now in the hands of a master. That's not to kiss Craig's hiney guys - the research has been done and I believe.

Can I have it by next Tuesday Craig?

Only kidding! I'm a patient sort and I expect it will take me a while to decide what cut from what CD will get to lead things off. Jazz for sure and it must be smooth. Any suggestions will be appreciated. (see best jazz for tubes thread)

Scott,

You will love this amp when I get done. Its in great shape and completely normal for a 40 year old amp. They always need work !

I personally would take many options before I went SET I really do not understand the draw people have to them heck there is a reason the industry stop producing them in the 50s ! I really think its the look and the type of music they listen too. To me a Amp has to play any gender of music very well in other words well rounded and SET amps for the most part are not well rounded !

Craig

Ok, we're convinced that the Scott 299A and the Forte IIs will be a sweet match. Is the next step a turntable and a trip down vinyl lane? It seems most guys with tubes have one listed and I've been hearing that the vinyl stuff plays quite well. Since my old Dual went out with my Sansui 1000X and Fisher XP-66B Speakers, I would have to go shopping.

Craig,

I am trying very hard not to fall off into vinyl.Inflamatory remarks like your latest response to boomac make me want to demagnatize my credit cards.LOL!What bothers me most is that I know you know what you are talking about.I just keep telling myself that now is not the time to take good advice.

I'm lovin' the Scott,

SSH

1.gif

SSH, You have to share some blame here! It's your "best jazz recordings thread" that is producing a recommended list a half mile long. That Dave killed me when he said, "The Louis Armstrong Disc was incredible and down right spooky in the dark. It sounds like Louis is in the corner." I was SOLD and I'm taking the afternoon off to head downtown to peruse a couple record stores. Dark and spooky with a few tubes glowing should be cool. Fathers day and my birthday are coming up but how do I change the usual card into a turntable? Yea SSH, you share some blame here and, by the way, please keep me up to date on YOUR new vinyl collection. 9.gif

boomac,

No vinyl (Never say never).SACD and this Forum has me spending too much time and $ on the inet already.My 53rd is today,and I've bought myself a dozen "roses" from the jazz thread this morning.

SSH 1.gif

I am also getting a 299D ready to send to Craig. Have been happy with my Forte 2's already, but you will have to post the results of your combo. I'm sure I won't get the 299 connected to mine for awhile. Garymd wrote a reply about us ending up in a Klipsch Kommune somewhere. We will have beer won't we???3.gif

Happy Birthday SSH! How about posting your list of newly aquired jazz for tubes on that thread. A comment on each would be helpful.

Gary, it's hard waiting for the Fed X and UPS guys isn't it?

----------------

On 5/29/2003 3:24:56 PM NOSValves wrote:

Gary,

It will be there tomorrow I hope !! Let that baby play all weekend and settle in turn it on when you get up and off at night before bed !! Let them tubes burn as much as possible for a few weeks !

Craig

----------------

What if I don't go to bed?9.gif

It was a little chilly here at the boomac residence last night. Like a fool, I askd my wife if she had any idea where my old LPs were. Although she didn't care one lick about them, she got curious and started a search. "What are these big boxes? You didn't buy new speakers, did you?" I had to think fast. "The're from the speakers I traded that shotgun for, remember?" "Oh"! She found the LPS. "Don't get any ideas about buying a new turntable."

Wow! I can be a bone head at times. Take your time with the 299 Craig!!! Ah, in two weeks we will have been married for 32 years. I'll be able to dance around this issue. Funny the idea of a turntable got her dander up. Maybe it's the thought of all the new LPs.

Boomac. lol I'm doing the same thing!!! I'm trying to convince my wife to let me use a heresy-like speaker for center channel (which a friend gave me of course). It's going to be hard to sneak it into the tv stand since it's 25" wide and 17" high (vertically mounted horn that matches my cornwall). Fits nice and snug though. I'm trying to find some pleasing grill cover material so she's not so upset. She thinks they are butt ugly. Wait till she sees my 299b tonight! Another gift. hehe