Upgrade Hafler 220 or buy new amp?

I suppose I already know the answer but wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

There are various mods available for my Hafler 220 amplifier. Some are here:

http://www.musicaldesign.com/mc_amp_mods.htm

Considering all of the mods can be had for about $1000 would it not be better to buy a new amp or would the Hafler outperform an amp in that price range with mods from the above web page?

I don't actually know what the mods do but am hoping you all may.

If your answer is a new amp what would you suggest for $1200 or under. Would prefer a 5.1 channel if a new purchase is the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Tony,

I've been a Hafler user since 1980 when I first got a DH200 that had been kit built. A DH220 in 1984 and early this year a 9505. Not too long after that got a pair of 1977 La Scalas and thought they sounded harsh with the Haflers. I've read about musical concepts on the net, and the reviews sound impressive, but for my ears, I was disappointed with the sound of my La Scalas until I was running them with a NOSValves 299b rebuild. The sweet sound has been a welcome and wonderful surprise. I am amazed at how much more I enjoy listening to music now. There are really not words to describe the difference. Dealing with Craig was a good way for me, a nervous newbie to jump into tubes. I just didn't know enough about tubes to be comfortable without the confidence in somebody that would treat you right and for fairly priced equipment. Craig is even available for hand holding to get you through stuff.

Thats my $.02.

Dee

p.s. just sold my 9505 on Audiogon1.gif

See my reference system in the signature...

I have a Musical Concepts modified Hafler DH- 200 Amp. Sound is outstanding, cost was low when completed way back in the early 1980s. Today, if faced with the decision, I'd probably buy something new, rather than spend that amount on refurbing the DH-200.

To answer your question, if you have a need for a Home Theatre type amp section, I would look at the Amps offered by Outlaw Audio. I have been looking at the 7100 model (7 channels @ 100 minimum RMS watts).

I have used several Hafler amps and preamps and always enjoyed them. I would not however consider investing anywhere close to $1000 to "upgrade" one. I have documentation/schematics for most of the DH-era models and can tell you they were a little ahead of the design curve at the time and most good solid state amps of today are based on the same topology Hafler used through the 80's and 90's. My own opinion is there is no inherent advantage to a newer amp. If anything I would suggest trying to find documentation from AudioXpress (formerly Audio Amateur) magazine on the POOGE (Progressive Optimization Of Generic Equipment) articles they used to publish. One of which was upgrades/mods for the DH200. These mods would not run anywhere near $1000 and may provide the same perceived benefit.

• 8 years later...