Vacuum Tube Valley Klipsch RF-7 Review

Deang

What's so funny that you got such a good laugh? That if you put a Reference speaker on a good amp they sound good, and if you put them on a mass market HT receiver they sound mediocre? Is this any different than what Heritage users have found out with their Klipschorns, Belles, LaScalas, Cornwalls, etc?

I was shooting my mouth off about Reference when I bought the RB-5's three years ago and first joined the forum -- and in spite of not being widely reviewed -- have continued to say good things about them based just on listening.

Laugh away -- Leo, myself, and a handful of others will continue to enjoy the world class performance of the RF-7's when driven by good gear.

My RB-5s are unmodified (except for Mortite on the horns). They sound good with the tube or P6D amps. I guess Dean or I could pick up one of those surround sound monsters they use at the stores and try them out on our modified RF-7s. But that would be punishment. We're not talking good amps here. There are a few decent ss amps. But they're not usually the ones stores connect to demo RF-7s. As a result, a store demo of the RF-7 has a good chance of being a demo of low power ss distortion. And you can more easily read about that in any Stereophile ss amp review. On most ss amps, as power goes down, distortion goes up.

leok

Therein lies the laugh DeanG! 9.gif The fact that someone of SOME stature reviewed the RF-7's favorably, in fact more than favorably, to his own KHorns in the midst of earlier negative 'reviews' by 'Heritage' owners struck my funny bone. Some of the 'Heritage' owners here seem full of themselves and their 'Heritage' speakers.

Its about sound reproduction. And it appears the RF-7's do that well. Just as you have stated here repeatedly. I guess I'll forget buying 'Heritage' and look for a pair of RF-7's! 9.gif9.gif9.gif

Keith