harman kardon vs onkyo vs denon

wheelman

I am looking for a reciever for around 500 buckaroos. I've got it down to three receivers the hk avr225 the onkyo tx sr 601 (new) denon avr-683 (295$) at reliable audio video or the denon avr-1803 (500$) at crutchfield. The 601 and 1803 have discrete 6.1 which i dont even know if i would use this because my systems already 5.1 and just painted my walls and it has a really good clean look this way. As for the harman kardan it looks great but i dont know if it would be enough watts for how loud i like to play my music. Now with the new metallica album coming out i cant wait to here that on a high current amp with my klipsch sf-2's. Also i here the harmon typically has more amps going on so it can suck more juice for demanding music and soundtracks but will it still keep up with the new onkyo witch is rated at 85 watts high current low impedance wrat technology and the denons 80 watts high current. The only brand i heard was a onkyo 500 which sounded really good but not loud enough it turned these older jbl's i thought were really cold sounding and made them sound truly warm and amazing. Another thing which is going to be better for music because thats what i do all day is listen to music and rack my brain on which receiver to get next, but i am a huge home theater nut ive been into it since 1990. I started out with the jvc surround sound receiver which didnt have the center back then used cerwin vegas which ruled to me back then. Then i went to sony and kept uprgrading them and never really got the old sound i had. Even tried newer jvc but didn't cut it. I currently have the sony db-840 which is just about es quality it has every thing imagianable on you can eq every channel assign a different crossover to each speaker preamps out for every channel two sub outs two main speaker terminals remebers setting on absolutely every thing you do to it. That is why i am not even sure if these receiver are even an upgrade. My sony has an aluminum front panel ways alot more than the de series. It is rated 20-20000 full band width but i am not sure if it is high current the manuel says it is 100 per channel minimal at all times. The only thing i dont like is it seems a little cold on the 2 channel side of it 5.1 is truly amazing on it though i really dont even need a sub unless it truly goes down to 20hrtz. Sorry for the super long story but can anybody tell me if these receivers will be an upgrade and which will be better for music Thank you new to this forum ( june, 10 saint angers day) metallica all the way baby!

If the Sony doesn't get loud enough, the others won't either. I think the sound quality would be better with a different receiver, but louder? No.

In my experiences with my equipment, I was a little disappointed with my Denon's 2-channel playback. HT is superb, but it lacks umph when playing music. Others on the forum gave the H/K's good recommendations for 2-channel so I bought one. I'm glad I did. Best $70 I've spent in awhile. It's worth a shot, much cheaper than getting a new receiver that you might be as disapponted with as well. The H/K's come up on eBay pretty often, but there aren't any right now.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rated power (Watts) of each receiver because of several points:

- you have to remember that each doubling of power represents a 3db increase in volume... hence 80W vs 160W = 3db but the difference between 80W and 100W should be under 1db and quite difficult to tell the difference.

- Not all Watts are equal... companies realise the marketing potential of a high WPC rating... so they test the units to give themselves an advantage... some more than others. The power supplies modern receivers are often incapable of delivering the power required to produce the rated WPC into all channels at the same time.

- Headroom is rarely stated for an amp... but the difference in 0.1db and 3db headroom could represent two receivers rated as 80W delivering 85W or 160W peak.

- Room resonances and nulls can easily represent 15db gains at certain frequencies... makes the < 1db (80W vs 100W) seem insignificant.

Ideally you find a store that caries several of these brands and your Klipsch to do a A/B comparison... My guess would lean towards the HK as they are know to go well with Klipsch speakers, have better than average power supplies, and are more honest in rating their products.

Later...

Rob

I'm starting to think i might try onkyo because of the money and they have a and b main speakers so i can play music on my deck. Is onkyo pretty honest to their watts? Another thing i could do is by an hk seperate amp and hook it to my preout on my sony for the mains. I seen one at soundcity for 250 it look like it had good specs for the money. It was a four channel but bridgable. Dont really no anything about seperates though. The only problem is i wouldn't have high current to every channel for surround sound which i love to. The new onkyo 601 is 85 watts per channel it has 6.1 dts discrete and powered dual room source output with 192 dacs for all channels. You really can get into the money for an hk with powered dual room source. If onkyo is honest about their watts you cannot go wrong with them for the money.

I can't believe that you've completely dissed Yamaha in this price range. I'm trying to remember the magazine, but there was a roundup of sub-$1000 HT amplifiers a while back, and Yamaha occupied 6 of the top 10 spots (RX-V1300 being the top of the heap)

For $500 MSRP, you can snap up a Yammy HTR-5660 - 6x85W discrete transistor amp, semi-discrete channel (1 amp front, 1 amp rear, 1 amp centers) 5 TOS ins, 1 SPDIF in, 1 TOS out, YSS-938 DSP, DTS-ES discrete, Neo:6, PLII, 2 30Mhz (HD compatible) component in/1 out, 5 S-in, 2 out, composite-S transcoding, and a host of other features. Oh yeah, and it's got 6.1 channel pre outs for your later amplification upgrades.

Lotta bang for the buck.

For a couple hundred more (I've seen them as cheap as $600 street) you can grab an RX-V1300 or HTR-5590 - both are full discrete channel 6x100 with more digital routing and more DSP soundfields than the 5660.

I'm a proud Onkyo stereo owner, but my next HT receiver (unless I come into an inheritance...) will be a Yamaha.

----------------

On 5/26/2003 11:16:03 AM Diggs wrote:

Why not buy m00n's H/K 520 for $400?

----------------

As of right now Antagon03 is buying it, however things could change between now dealtime. If the deal should fall through, yeah, it would be a great buy. I mean geeze a receiver that STILL lists at $900.00 for $400.00. Not a bad deal.

Oh and I can assure you, the H/K has *MORE* than enough power. As was said, don't be fooled by the lower watts.